Sign in to follow this  

1997 yz 250 clutch problem

I was changing out my clutch cable today. I pried against the push lever at the motor end of the cable and it lifted up. Instantly I thought,"that was dumb of me." So I went ahead with connecting the cable up to see if it would work. Way too much slack. So now I can't get the push lever back down all the way so that the clutch will properly work. Any ideas?

Push it back down? Mine will slide in and out, but you have to have it in the right rotational spot for it to re-seat against the push-rod.

And I have to have the adjustment almost all the way out on even a new OEM cable for it to be correct.

And I have a 1997 yz250 as well, btw.

I was changing out my clutch cable today. I pried against the push lever at the motor end of the cable and it lifted up. Instantly I thought,"that was dumb of me." So I went ahead with connecting the cable up to see if it would work. Way too much slack. So now I can't get the push lever back down all the way so that the clutch will properly work. Any ideas?

If I'm understanding you correctly, then you will have to pull the clutch side cover off and remove the clutch pushrod. Then push the lever back down in fully, and re-install the clutch pushrod, and you should be good to go.

^^ he's probably right. When I was pulling up and down on my lever, I was still rebuilding the clutch, so the pushrods was loose.

And I have to have the adjustment almost all the way out on even a new OEM cable for it to be correct.

And I have a 1997 yz250 as well, btw.

I've got a '97 as well and I've got the same problem with a new OEM clutch cable. Thing is darn near the end of the threads. I wish it was 10 mm shorter so I could have some adjustment as it wears.

Thank you. As soon as I get some free time I'll try n fix it. I'll adjust the cable out to see if it works first and if not I'll have to pull the cover off. I appreciate the replys. I'll be back in a couple days to let you know if it worked.

Thank you. As soon as I get some free time I'll try n fix it. I'll adjust the cable out to see if it works first and if not I'll have to pull the cover off. I appreciate the replys. I'll be back in a couple days to let you know if it worked.

Having a similar problem with my 96 yz250...thanx for the info...

Had the same problem with my 96 think I put a spacer on the cable holder on the motor. Was a suggestion by a member on here , hope that makes sense