Sign in to follow this  

Help choosing bike

Hi guys. So I'm having a hard time finding a bike to suit my needs/body build. I fit perfectly and love the the weight and feel of my buddies Yamaha xt 225. Problem? I need something around the same height and weight but can handle highway speeds longer and better. I was looking at the DR350s but they are almost impossible to find in my area. My budget isn't high so I'm not looking new at all. Anybody have any suggestions on a more common bike that fits my description? Thank you all very much.

Thanks for the reply 717. I am acquainted with the Dr 650, there's actually 2 of them in my little group of friends that ride. I've gotten to take them on a couple rides,they're amazing on the road but I had a hard time with the weight in the woods and trails. That could just be cause I'm a relatively inexperienced rider and I'd get used to it after riding a lot,I'm not sure.

No it's because they are heavy and clumsy in the woods. If you want a bike to handle highway speeds then it will not be easy in the woods. With that said my nephew is selling a KLX650 if this still the bike your looking for.

Dual sports are all about compromise. You cant have a bike that's good in the woods, and on the highway too, so choose the compromise you're ok with, and get the bike that fits

Dual sports are all about compromise. You cant have a bike that's good in the woods, and on the highway too, so choose the compromise you're ok with, and get the bike that fits

I agree. My KTM 450 exc is set up for the woods. 95% of my riding is off-road. This bike is no fun on the pavement but will get me from trail to trail. I could make it more street friendly but then it would suck in the woods. You have to make a choice. In my opinion it is not possible to have the best of both worlds. 

XR400/650R/650L, DR200/400, WR250, CRF250L, CRF450X, KTM200/250/300 2T, KTM 250/350/450/520 4T, Triumph Tiger 800/1200, Husqvarna 200/250/300 2T, 450/570 (I want the 570 BAD) 4T.

Edited by DirtRider500R