Sign in to follow this  

Crf450x stalls and gas spays from just above idle screw somewhere -help

I ride a 2006 450x.

During the last 2 rides after anywhere from 10-30 miles into the ride the bike stalls - just as if it ran out of gas. Plenty of gas in the tank. When I look down by my left foot, you can see gas dripping all over the place and it appears to be coming from just above the carb somewhere. Not just a little gas either. I unscrew the gas cap and it depressurizes and I look in the tank and the gas is boiling. Let it sit for 5 mins and it starts up and goes. I am new to riding and don't necessarily like the idea of gas on a hot motor. Is there an overflow for the gas in the area of The carb? Any ideas on what may be going on would certainly be appreciated.

Well if the tank depressurizes when you open the cap, then at minimal you have a plugged vent on the cap.  Replace the vent and cap... It could simply be that your fuel system is being pressurized and forcing fuel past the needle/float valve and the carb is flooding badly.  As to why it's "boiling" in the tank...that's a new one.  If the bike was exceedingly lean and extremely hot maybe it could vapor lock it, but again, start with fixing the gas cap vent.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I checked the cap and the little one way valve on the cap. Both allow a one way flow of air into the tank - I sucked air through each one. Unless the gas cap is locking up after getting hot the tank appears to be breathing. How common is it to see a failed gas vap?

I have seen those stupid little one way breathers fail on multiple friends machines as well as one of mine. I now just use a hose and never had a problem again.

Thanks for the info. I checked the cap and the little one way valve on the cap. Both allow a one way flow of air into the tank - I sucked air through each one. Unless the gas cap is locking up after getting hot the tank appears to be breathing. How common is it to see a failed gas vap?

Yeah, no matter what, if the tank is pressurized when you remove the cap, it's not venting.  I'd just go ahead and replace it or swap it for another one.  There's no way that tank should be able to hold pressure if the cap is working as intended.  Like "stonedInNy" said, just run a hose from the nipple on the new cap to the hole in the steering stem.