Help! '01 200EXC powervalve will not adjust.

My cousin bought this bike back in October with a fresh top end put on by a shop. It was running rich and spooging like crazy, so I rejetted it for him. Then I test rode it and it is a dog on the top end. So I open the peep hole to look at how the pv is adjusted. The shaft mark is lined up with the upper line. I took off the adjuster cap and the adjuster spun freely without taking out the 4 o'clock bolt. Then I turned the adjuster all the way in, checked the pv and it had not moved. Then turned it all the way out with the same result. Pulled out the 4 o'clock bolt and it looks like the threads in the case are stripped. So, now the adjuster won't stay put when I try and put the cap back on. Now I am at a loss. Help

• Like 1

My cousin bought this bike back in October with a fresh top end put on by a shop. It was running rich and spooging like crazy, so I rejetted it for him. Then I test rode it and it is a dog on the top end. So I open the peep hole to look at how the pv is adjusted. The shaft mark is lined up with the upper line. I took off the adjuster cap and the adjuster spun freely without taking out the 4 o'clock bolt. Then I turned the adjuster all the way in, checked the pv and it had not moved. Then turned it all the way out with the same result. Pulled out the 4 o'clock bolt and it looks like the threads in the case are stripped. So, now the adjuster won't stay put when I try and put the cap back on. Now I am at a loss. Help

Ill bet the push rod is not connected to the lever just below the sight window. Did you check while it was running. Line should go up and down with rpm. Don't ask how I know  ?

Edited by Enduroguy

I'll take a look at that tomorrow. If so do I need to take apart the whole pv and take off the jug

Actually there is no clip but the push rod round end that mates to the fork of the power valve mis alignes (goes in front of or behind) when you put on the cyl. Might have to lift the jug a little to line it up and pop it in place. Also might be able to rotate the fork up and allow the rod end to pop in place without lifting the jug. Try that first. You can see it and gain a little access to it through the right side sight window.

The parts I'm refering to are #66 and #67 shown in this fiche http://www.ktm-parts.com/OEMFINDER.html#/KTM/200_EXC_Engine_-_2001/Twin_Valve_Control/1M01040030/01040025

Edited by Enduroguy

Thanks for the reply's. Believe it or not it was actually easier than that. Whoever installed the jug and pv snugged up the flapper control axles on each side of the cylinder. So, all I had to do was loosen those up then put the two locks back on and I could adjust it. Now it's time for a test ride.

Thanks for the reply's. Believe it or not it was actually easier than that. Whoever installed the jug and pv snugged up the flapper control axles on each side of the cylinder. So, all I had to do was loosen those up then put the two locks back on and I could adjust it. Now it's time for a test ride.

Good to hear, enjoy your 200

Dont forget when you get the new clutch cover that you need to put a cut off piece of O-ring or some tough rubber in the hole common to the set screw before you install the screw. You dont want the screw to come in contact with the threads of the power valve adjuster. You can see it in the fiche.