Sign in to follow this  

LHRB Warning!

Just want to give the guys here a heads up if you decide to listen to the "internet engineers" when setting up a mountain bike brake for added rear braking. DONT DO IT!! If you decide to just run a double banjo tied into the rear brake line, you could be setting yourself up for a crash. I almost did the double banjo deal (or tie into existing rear brake line) years back (on my KTM as well as the Beta) as some have suggested. I'm so glad I listened to my gut and purchased that little sleeve that Rekluse sells with their kit. It saved my ass today.

Do yourself a favor and buy the complete kit that Rekluse sells or at least the sleeve for the OEM master cylinder. That little sleeve while expensive (about 130 bucks) serves a very good purpose. It actually saved my riding day and prevented a crash earlier today. My compression fitted brake line came out of the mountain bike MC causing me to lose hand braking. Not to worry! The OEM foot brake worked perfectly the rest of the day. Had I just tied into the existing brake line, I would have lost all rear braking and possibly crashed.

As most of you know, google and "Thumpertalk engineers" are your friend and enemy all in one!

lol, I'm ,safe. I almost exclusively use the front!

Get to that Jimmy Lewis class and find out how far you can really push that sucker.  :ride:

• Like 1

lol, I'm ,safe. I almost exclusively use the front!

Get to that Jimmy Lewis class and find out how far you can really push that sucker.  :ride:

I hear that!

Truth be told, I use a LOT of front brake. Still, it was quite a shock to gab a handful of brake and get nothing.. Not to mention old habits die hard. I'm a big time rear brake dragger. I bet some those guys riding the big adventure bikes were crying like &%$#@! trying some of the Jimmy Lewis techniques. I'm really thinking of doing that class next season.

I must be missing something here. If your compression fitting came apart that was tied into your rear brake, how was the rear brake able to work by foot when the hydraulic system was open? I wouldn't use a mountain bike MC reguardless but something sounds wrong.

Edited by Rotax

I must be missing something here. If your compression fitting came apart that was tied into your rear brake, how was the rear brake able to work by foot when the hydraulic system was open? I wouldn't use a mountain bike MC reguardless but something sounds wrong.

Was not tied in. Came off the hand mc. Mountain bike mc w works great and takes up little room . The sleeve separates the foot brake to hand brake in case one or the other fails.

Sounds like the sleeve has checks built inside which would be a nice feature. The only reason I'd lean against the mountain bike MC is the piston displacement amount. The one my son had on his SuperCross mountain race bike was quite small. Did you ever find out why the fitting loosened up? Perhaps using a standard fitting on a metric line or using a single ferrule fitting instead of a double ferrule swagelok type fitting?

I have had a lot of problems with the new MTB brake setup on 2 KTM's and now on my Beta. 10 minutes into the ride the hand brake would lose pressure, then sometimes it would build back up but not fully. The old style clutch mc conversion worked much better IMO. The small displacement of the MTB mc may be the culprit.

No problems other than the other day. It was my fault for not sliding the brake line all the way up the last 1/16" into the hose barb recess. I will get some pictures this weekend when I fix it.

Great product!

I had no luck with Rekluse LHRB setup. The MC reservoir is way too small and is a headache. Their clutches rock but I'm not sold on the mountain bike MC.

My LHRB works like a champ.It may be that I dont use much rear brake though..... :excuseme:

You actually have a very valid point. I'm pretty sure the brake is not meant to replace the foot brake. Another reason mine may have failed was doing hooligan antics such as using it for brake sliding at speed.

From now on I will be using it for it's intended purpose. Stand up riding in technical terrain, and loose, steep downhills.

It's really good to know you are practicing what you learned from the class. I was on Jimmy's website and would classify myself as just above a beginner.

I was on Jimmy's website and would classify myself as just above a beginner.

LOL Thats what I thought too, I was quickly smacked down upon arrival........

• Like 1

Sorry guys, no pics of my repair. I was able to get the brake line sorted out. It ended up being my fault (installer error). When I originally installed the brake (a few years ago) and slipped in the brake line into the barbed fitting, I did not tighten it down enough.

It's kind of spooky. When you tighten that crush fitting down, you tighten it to the point that it feels like it will break. There should only be 2 or 3 threads showing. This is the correct way to do it per instructions. 

I will be getting some pics of my repair and brake setups on both the KTM and Beta tomorrow.

Glad you got it sorted out. I'd like to see those fittings, not sure I've ever seen a braking system that used barbed fittings.

Glad you got it sorted out. I'd like to see those fittings, not sure I've ever seen a braking system that used barbed fittings.

Keep in mind it's a mountain bike brake line. The fitting is common to all hydraulic braking systems used on bicycles. I will have pics tomorrow.

So here are some pics of the little hydraulic compression fitting I was talking about. I screwed up and didn't read the instructions when installing my system the first time. Amazing it did not fail earlier! It's must to get the brake line cut perfectly straight, and pushed all the way in and flush into the recessed part of the fitting.

100_4177_zps190f02c7.jpg

100_4175_zpsa8fa2aee.jpg

Also very important, is to tighten the the fitting to the point that it feels like it will snap. It calls for 70 inch lbs (8 nm)!! Holy shit that's tight for such a small fitting. I tightened until about 2 threads were showing as per instructions.

IMG_20140511_094755_zps702731cd.jpg

Here it is all set up and ready.

IMG_20140511_094818_zps0aa3697a.jpg

IMG_20140511_094809_zps0c034f7d.jpg

For the heck of it here is a picture to show that levers still bend with hand guards. This what happens when a novice "C" rider (me)  blazes up nasty rock steps.

IMG_20140511_094838_zpsf0375fb8.jpg

KTM LHRB with a modified clutch MC.

IMG_20140511_094931_zpse4cfd990.jpg

As far as bleeding the system, I follow the Rekluse instructions. I do a little extra something by zip tying my brake levers lightly to the bars overnight. I tap the whole length of the line and MC to dislodge any final bubbles. It's kind of an old school trick that a mechanic friend showed me many years back.