Sign in to follow this  

How Much Oil

Bought a new Uni filter as a spare and took out the OEM to clean it.

How much spray of oil are you supposed to use?

I did a nice one coat of spray from about 4 inches away inside and out and put it in a bag and massaged it around.

Am I good to go or do I need to redo it?

Thanks

I don't really believe in spray coats, soak the filter, let it set up for a few minutes then squeeze out everything you can in excess with paper towels, and only use real filter oil like a Belray. Not some of this cheesy bio gradable stuff they have nowadays.

I would say your good to go. I never spray the inside though only the outside then massage the oil into the filter. Plastic bag works well for keeping the mess down

So it should be oiled enough you can wring the oil out?

The user manual says use the same oil as the engine. Soak it then wring it all out so it doesn't drip.

The user manual says use the same oil as the engine. Soak it then wring it all out so it doesn't drip.

I would imagine oil is oil but I am going to stick with foam filter oil.

I killed the flow of a K&N using motor oil and than was not able to get it back to good again.

KN filters require a "special" oil only made by KN, go figure. Foam filters just need engine oil.

KN filters require a "special" oil only made by KN, go figure. Foam filters just need engine oil.

Motor oil will work on foam filters, but I'd only use it in a pinch... Proper foam filter oil when applied is "thin" and then “sets-up” tacky.  Motor oil is not as tacky and will eventually start to drain/drip off the filter.

I use No Toil’s biodegradable foam filter oil and love it.  It’s easy to apply, easy to clean (No Toil cleaner or oxy-clean), no baths in minerals spirits/gas/diesel and only requires a little more time to dry as compared to petroleum filter oils.  With a clean filter, I pour in an ounce (or so) of oil inside.  While wearing a pair of rubber gloves I start to massage the filter to distribute the oil around and to the outside of the filter.  With it thoroughly oiled, I squeeze the filter pretty hard (don’t wring) and ideally only a little bit of oil is wasted.

• Like 1

I run the UNI too,  have not cleaned it in like 5k miles,  think its time,  definately a great filter.

I had a UNI filter that the glue starting seperating,  i contacted them and they sent me a new filter right away,  excellent company imo.

• Like 1

Does the K&N filter really make a noticeable difference? It says it increases HP and Aceleration  :rolleyes:

Does the K&N filter really make a noticeable difference? It says it increases HP and Aceleration  :rolleyes:

I think you might see it on a dyno if you were jetted slightly rich and the extra air flow brought the jetting back into the sweet spot. I doubt if you just changed the filter and didn't jet correctly for the difference in air flow that you would feel anything and even if you did jet correctly I bet the difference wouldn't be noticeable on a stock motor.  

Now a combination of a freer flowing pipe and the K&N and a rejet and it might be noticeable, however most of the gain would probably come from the freer flowing pipe. 

And of course a freer flowing filter means more particles can get through it so if you ride a lot in the dirt it might not be a good idea.  

• Like 1

Yeah .. Engine oil tends to run off , for best results use sticky foam filter oil .

I run the UNI too,  have not cleaned it in like 5k miles,  think its time,  definately a great filter.

I had a UNI filter that the glue starting seperating,  i contacted them and they sent me a new filter right away,  excellent company imo.

Did they question what cleaning agents you used ?

There would be only a Bee's Dick in it....the stock filter flows more than enough for a stroker engine,

James509 did some flow bench testing with air filters a short while back and confirmed this...

• Like 1

Yeah .. Engine oil tends to run off , for best results use sticky foam filter oil .

Did they question what cleaning agents you used ?

Yes,   i told them i used soap and water and UNI brand air filter cleaner. 

• Like 1

Motor oil will work on foam filters, but I'd only use it in a pinch... Proper foam filter oil when applied is "thin" and then “sets-up” tacky.  Motor oil is not as tacky and will eventually start to drain/drip off the filter.

I use No Toil’s biodegradable foam filter oil and love it.  It’s easy to apply, easy to clean (No Toil cleaner or oxy-clean), no baths in minerals spirits/gas/diesel and only requires a little more time to dry as compared to petroleum filter oils.  With a clean filter, I pour in an ounce (or so) of oil inside.  While wearing a pair of rubber gloves I start to massage the filter to distribute the oil around and to the outside of the filter.  With it thoroughly oiled, I squeeze the filter pretty hard (don’t wring) and ideally only a little bit of oil is wasted.

+1....i use that too and it's so nice to work with. No chemicals, water clean-up and has always worked great. Good product imo  ;)

• Like 1