Sign in to follow this  

86 dr100

Just bought a 86dr100 this weekend for $50 needs new rockers and cam i cant seam to find a cam anywhere for it i was reading i might be able to swap it with a differnt model. Any help with this bike would be great i bought it with the head off so i havnt hear it run yet

Yea your cam looks pretty bad... But if i were you i would reasemble the top end with the cam and rockers you have now and see if the bike runs. Your cam has some serious grooving on the parts that go in the head races and it will problibly make some noise. Not saying you should leave the shot cam in and ride! Im just saying that it will start your bike so that you can hear it run before you buy anything. Make sure you oil the camshaft and rockers before instalation. If the bike doesnt run, your cam and rockers arent the problem, all they would do is make noise because they are worn out

Actually, i took a closer look at your rockers, and they are very very worn. That may prevent you from getting it started because your valves wont go down as far as they are supposed to

Ya there is a chunk missing out of the one and im fairly new to this iv never took a head apart since i removed the cam do i need to time it? If so i have no idea.

Yea you will have to retime it. There should be markings on the cam sproket that you line up with the head. If possible i woulf just get a whole new head assembly. And i didnt notice the chunk out of the rocker, i thought it was just gunk on the rocker, not a chip missing

Does anyone know if there are any interchangabl part from other dr im having trouble finding parts rockers are easy but the cam and head near impossible

Not trying to hijack your thread but I recently retrieved my first bike from my dads shed 1985 DR100. I am trying to find a used exhaust valve for it and a kickstarter. I just don't want to drop more $ in it than its worth. I plan to give it to my kids to ride and learn to use a clutch. Been going through it and want to bring it back to life. This bike was extra tough when I used to ride it as a kid, my dad and his freinds started working on it and got in over their heads so this is how I got it back. I have been able to find some NOS parts but prices are ridiculous, it would be nice to find a parts bike to pull from.

1421268412976.jpg

1421268450588.jpg

1421268471440.jpg

the rockers are very common used all over the place on quads and motorcycles

the cams are the same 1984-1990

the heads have differences

we had an 84 DR100 & replaced the cam & rockers. my child loved that machine. 6-speed!