Sign in to follow this  

Help identify this yz

Seller told me it was a 79 250. The Vin and the steel swing arm disagree. Also has a plastic tank, which leads me to believe it's a 77. Vin doesn't jive with anything I can find, nor does the engine number. Vin: 3y1-005113

Eng# 1w8-00400

They are very clear, so I'm certain it's not a 3w and the engine should be 1w3...

I also cannot find anything under the Yamaha frame numbers for "3Y1" which would be the model/year prefix.  The rest of the frame number is the serial number.

"1W8" does not cross to anything under the engine numbers either.

Do you have any pics of the bike that you can post?  Pics of the frame number and engine number would also be helpful.

I'll get some pics tonight. I'm really perplexed by this. Maybe it's not a USA market bike?

only thing I can find on the Web for a 3y1 Vin is an xt250. This sure looks like a yz.... I need to order some parts to get it running. Any help much appreciated. Help me resurrect this old Dino

Pics of the bike. Note steel swing arm and plastic tank. That should be a 77yz.only year with that combo

1404786939845.jpg

1404786957527.jpg

Previous owner put that ghetto kick stand on it. It's waaayyyy too short

1w- comes up as a 77, for it and yz but i cant find 1w8. Ive always used oem-cycle as a reference. Havent ever seen them not have something! Good luck. Ill keep digging..might be worth a call to yamaha

Just from appearance, it looks to be a 77. You were right on about the steel swingarm and plastic tank being 77' items.