Sign in to follow this  

need some info/input on some bikes

well, im looking at getting into the cycle world, im not new to the motorsport world (i have had numerous snowmobiles, everything from a 40hp fan cooled, upto an 140hp 800cc liquid cooled) but im looking at the enduro/dual sport/adventure or whatever you care to call them, im trying to figure out which i should go with, im deciding between a CRF250L and the WR250R, the crf is alot cheaper, but from reading, in order to do any sort of higher speed riding (around 60mph or so, being i live out in the country with lots of 55 zones, and open roads) you have to do the "stage one kit" i seen soo much about on youtube, and from reading and seeing reviews on youtube, bestdualsportbikes.com seems to sell the whole package for about $800, but, from also watching tons of youtube videos, is seems to be saying, the crf is a great bike, but, if you have the coin, go up to the wr250r being it has a better suspension, and a better bike, it is more money, but if its money well spent, verses dumping tons into the crf and having a less capable bike, then i would go with the wr250r. from watching youtube, it seems to point to doing the air box mod, and getting rid of that exup system/stock exhaust, and the servo motor, getting a plug to block off the wiring so the fi light isnt on, and some other small mods. far as info on me, im a bigger guy, im 6'3" and about 260lb, but never have really been on 2 wheels much, i rode a 96 rm250 a few times, and did decent on it, but when i sat on the xr650l at the honda/yamaha dealer yesterday it felt like a big friggen tank that i felt the 1st time out on, i would lay off a million times, the crf felt nice to me and i could balance pretty decent and doesnt feel like it weighs 500pounds, and they didnt have any of the wr250r on the floor. so all input, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appeciated, i dont want to run out and buy a bike to find out that for a few hundred dollars more i could have bought a different one and been extremely happy with that more so then either of those two bikes. thanks guys (and gals)

CRF250L I say. It's cheaper and you can make it as good or better than a WR250R and still have a smaller total price tag. Cost me less than $2,000 to make my CRF250L made for "me". My suspension was custom made for my weight by Race a Tech, front and rear. I have new gearing and a full exhaust/stage 1 set up like I want. I doubt you'll buy a WR and then have it the way you want stock. You'll want to upgrade anyways.

Just my cents and why I chose the Honda over the Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, the WR is awesome, but CRF250L was an easy choice for me. I'll add a big bore next winter for even more power and then be at about same price as what of what I would of paid for the WR, but instead I have a custom bike just the way I wanted it.

EDIT: forgot to add I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs and I can easily reach freeway speeds. My speedo is off, but guessing 80mph-is, even with the new gearing. Speedo reads low to mid 90's, but I know I'm not going that fast. The math says about 77mph.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

thanks for the input, how has the bike been treating you? heard about some issues with the cam chain tensioner, from reading what you did with the yoshi system, what did it set you back with that, the programmer, and the gearing? and, is it not going to kill the bike if im riding at 60 for miles, or, for some reason i decide to hit the interstate which is 65, so id want to run 70 so i dont become road kill with that gearing setup?

For bigger guys like me and you, I find the 13/42 (vs 14/40 stock) actually make bike faster. With me on it bike couldn't overcome gearing in 6th and would slow down. I no longer have that problem. Stock bike with 13/42 would be a good bike. I weigh a lot so chose for the Race Tech suspension.

Do yourself a huge favour, and look at bigger bikes. I live in the country as well, and my first road legal dual sport bike was an XR 250. It had a 6 speed trans. and I geared it for road use, but I felt so guilty riding that bike longer distances at road speeds. I just felt I was beating on it. GREAT bike in the woods though! I moved up to a bigger bike, and now feel comfortable riding it the 10-15 miles one way into town now. If you feel you have to stick to a 250, go with the WR. I have ridden both a WR, and a CRF 250X, and if that 250L is anything like the X, it's a pretty lame motor compared to the Yamaha

with the 13/42 do i need a new chain, or is the stock ok still?

and thanks for your thoughts 717, i dont want to go too big for my 1st bike, but, i dont want to look like a monkey riding a coconut and be road kill

Do yourself a huge favour, and look at bigger bikes. I live in the country as well, and my first road legal dual sport bike was an XR 250. It had a 6 speed trans. and I geared it for road use, but I felt so guilty riding that bike longer distances at road speeds. I just felt I was beating on it. GREAT bike in the woods though! I moved up to a bigger bike, and now feel comfortable riding it the 10-15 miles one way into town now. If you feel you have to stick to a 250, go with the WR. I have ridden both a WR, and a CRF 250X, and if that 250L is anything like the X, it's a pretty lame motor compared to the Yamaha

Never rode an X, so can't compare. I'm just quoting to clarify the motor on the L is nothing like the X. The L has the same motor and tranny as the CBR250R. I kind of do agree with bigger bike for lots of freeway though. I've owned numerous bikes, and the bigger and heavier bikes are definitely better for freeway use. I have no intentions of using my L in that manner. A sport bike is better suited for that :D

with the 13/42 do i need a new chain, or is the stock ok still?

and thanks for your thoughts 717, i dont want to go too big for my 1st bike, but, i dont want to look like a monkey riding a coconut and be road kill

Stock chain works. I'm still using my stock chain.

far as freeways, i dont see myself on them for atleast a year, and i dont think it would be for 100's of miles, maybe a 20-30 miles at max so if i just want to get home faster, i can

far as freeways, i dont see myself on them for atleast a year, and i dont think it would be for 100's of miles, maybe a 20-30 miles at max so if i just want to get home faster, i can

That's about as much freeway use as mine will see, and it works just fine for that. It'll keep up no problem, and traffic flies around here on the freeway.

I  only rode mine on country roads at about 50-60mph. NO WAY I would have used it on the hwy. Not enough power. 20-30 miles at a time adds up on the small motors. Look for a bigger bike

I was looking around on craigslist, found an 09 husqvarna te610 with around 10500 miles, for $4200, is that bike price decently? And is that a good bike, it's a 600 in my book, so it should be able to move along fairly decently without killing itself I would think???

I was looking around on craigslist, found an 09 husqvarna te610 with around 10500 miles, for $4200, is that bike price decently? And is that a good bike, it's a 600 in my book, so it should be able to move along fairly decently without killing itself I would think???

I really like those bikes. Never rode one though, and I don't know anything about their maintenance schedule. But they look like awesome bikes and I've heard great things about them

I occasionally ride with a guy who has a 610. Good working bike, and he rides it a lot, and everywhere! He does OK with it in the bush too, and he's not all that great of an offroad rider

I think before I get head over heals into this. And just run out and buy the first bike I see, based on this, a bike that won't be wound right out to the max or nearly the max at 60-65mph, and doesn't have a crazy maintenance schedule (like oil, valves, and everything else every 10hrs) what bike would you go with (doesnt have to be a 250) I have honda, yamaha, kawasaki, Suzuki, beta, and ktm all within a 30 mins of where I am

The bigger the bike, the better. The bigger motors at road speeds are just loafing along, and are real easy on oil,valves, pistons,maintenance etc.... On a 250, you are constantly beating on it, so you NEED to maintain, and keep a closer eye on it

Right, I was looking at some used ones on craigslist. Then searching them on yahoo for what people had to say. One was an 08 ktm 450 exc-r and that one needs everything done every 15 hrs, and by about 5000 miles it sounds like the motor is in need of a rebuild. I could see if it was an 800cc two stroke like my skidoo. But a 4 stroke? Damn

Well I've came to a decision. A 250 is just not enough bike for me. Being in 260lb at work standing on the shipping scale. I'm just going to kill a 250, went around to some dealers. So far I've narrowed it down to two

bikes. Either the drz400s (maybe the super moto depending on price/financing) or the dr650. The 400 I like being its more modern looking. But the 650 is nice being its a 650. And it's proven. That bikes been built for what, 30 years? Both bikes are basically the same price. Which one would you choose and why. Thanks

hands down, and without a 2nd thought , the 650. That 400, at your size is no better than a 250. Your post about the KTM 450 excr, is oh so wrong. I have a 425 sx on the street, and that bike is a joy.