Sign in to follow this  

Clutch less up shifting

We'll after changing my oil and getting another 100 miles on the L Decided it was time to see about some acceleration. I was surprised to see 60mph in a few short seconds. Now not sure about y'all and what your habits are. On my sv650 it was smooth. On the L. I am like ok it shifted, I felt zero slip but also zero urge to wheelie, I am gaining speed, but i am feeling like is this tranny good for it or will I later regret this. On the sv it begged to be shifted that way, the L is saying I think I can....... Again I may be over thinking this and this machine can't make enough power to hurt itself. And I was shifting around 6400 rpm. Not anywhere near redline. Just typing out loud. Ha ha ha

I used to up shift all the time without clutch all the time on my CBR1000RR. It was smooth and worked great. Done right, it doesn't hurt anything, although someone will disagree I'm sure. A lot of clutchless shifting haters :D

I haven't done it on the L though. Being how it's a CBR motor, it might be ok. Might have to try lol.

• Like 1

Dosent sound like a good idea to me :excuseme: :excuseme:

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 2

I clutchless upshift mine all the time.  When the bike was new you could tell it didnt want to, everything in the tranny was probably still to tight.  But after getting her broke in, maybe somewhere between 600-1000 miles, she started to clutchless shift very nicely.  Sometimes I still kinda chop them a bit, but a lot of the time I can do it very smoothly and shift very fast, kinda depends on the situation and terrain your in also, its a lot easier to do smoothly when your just cruising down the road, than in some technical trail.  If I know theres a good chance Ill chop the shift because of the terrain or whatever, then Ill just shift with the clutch, to save the bike the abuse.  But If I think/know I can clutchless shift smoothly, then ill do it every time.

Falcon when you say it felt zero urge to wheelie, it makes me think your not letting off the throttle when you shift?  On a smooth shift it shouldnt want to wheelie weather you use the clutch or not.  If your jammin gears so hard it wants to wheelie I would imagine your putting a lot of stress on the tranny and other parts.  From my experience thou, this bike generally feels no urge to wheelie, unless you have some kinda lip or berm to get it going, or doing some kinda hill climb where  your really giving it the power.  I havnt messed with trying to clutch it up thou, kinda seems like abuse to me.  The only wheelies Iv riddin on this bike were terrain induced.

I always roll off the throttle so the bike goes "neutral", not accelerating, but not decelerating, when you do that just right it basically loosens everything up in the tranny so theres no load on the gears, and allows it to shift up just as smooth as using the clutch, but a lot faster.

I come to this bike from a GSX-R750 so like your SV, im used to clutchless upshifting all the time and being able to fly thru the gears.

How many miles do you have on the bike?  If it still feels stiff, just give it a little more time.

• Like 3

Smooth as silk on my GS....not so much on the CRF. As Tro said, give it time ;)

• Like 1

I clutchless upshift mine all the time.  When the bike was new you could tell it didnt want to, everything in the tranny was probably still to tight.  But after getting her broke in, maybe somewhere between 600-1000 miles, she started to clutchless shift very nicely.  Sometimes I still kinda chop them a bit, but a lot of the time I can do it very smoothly and shift very fast, kinda depends on the situation and terrain your in also, its a lot easier to do smoothly when your just cruising down the road, than in some technical trail.  If I know theres a good chance Ill chop the shift because of the terrain or whatever, then Ill just shift with the clutch, to save the bike the abuse.  But If I think/know I can clutchless shift smoothly, then ill do it every time.

Falcon when you say it felt zero urge to wheelie, it makes me think your not letting off the throttle when you shift?  On a smooth shift it shouldnt want to wheelie weather you use the clutch or not.  If your jammin gears so hard it wants to wheelie I would imagine your putting a lot of stress on the tranny and other parts.  From my experience thou, this bike generally feels no urge to wheelie, unless you have some kinda lip or berm to get it going, or doing some kinda hill climb where  your really giving it the power.  I havnt messed with trying to clutch it up thou, kinda seems like abuse to me.  The only wheelies Iv riddin on this bike were terrain induced.

I always roll off the throttle so the bike goes "neutral", not accelerating, but not decelerating, when you do that just right it basically loosens everything up in the tranny so theres no load on the gears, and allows it to shift up just as smooth as using the clutch, but a lot faster.

I come to this bike from a GSX-R750 so like your SV, im used to clutchless upshifting all the time and being able to fly thru the gears.

How many miles do you have on the bike?  If it still feels stiff, just give it a little more time.

for the wheelie comment i was referring to the lack of HP, if i was to have done the same thing on my old SV or buddies gixxer the front would come up.  :devil:

I do release the throttle a fast forward roll/blip to stops the revs to then kick up a gear and then back on the throttle again. no, if i didn't let off then yes it would be a rough upshift.   :thumbsup:

as for the feeling i have 570 miles on the bike now and it felt good, or well lack of feeling it shifted and shifted well. just blip blip blip and off i went. no harshness or clunking just clean shifting but i was caught off guard by it feeling like an automatic tranny if that makes any sense. again i think i am over thinking it. ha ha ha  :facepalm:   i just need to get on and enjoy  Brrrraaaapppppp!    :ride:

I will continue to up shift with out clutch in on road situations, off road will remain clutched unless its a safe bet i wont have a hiccup/pothole to ruin the timing. 

THANKS ! 

I up-shift without a clutch from time to time. I honestly just like using the clutch so do it more often than not. The CRF250L utilizes a wet sump system so wont hurt anything when done correctly. Just roll off the throttle slightly and tug the shifter. It's sequential gearing so nothing to worry about. If you don't want to risk it, then don't do it.

Falcon as long as it shifts smoothly and the gears just fall into place then your not gona hurt anything.

Kray I dont know what a wet sump lube system has to do with clutchless shifting?  Did you mean wet clutch?  That dosnt really make a difference either thou.  The key is the sequential transmission like you said.

• Like 1

Falcon as long as it shifts smoothly and the gears just fall into place then your not gona hurt anything.

Kray I dont know what a wet sump lube system has to do with clutchless shifting?  Did you mean wet clutch?  That dosnt really make a difference either thou.  The key is the sequential transmission like you said.

Tro, the CRF250L utilizes a judder sprung wet clutch that sits in the wet sump system. This is opposed to a dry-sump dry-clutch system. I was always under the impression that made a difference but maybe I'm mistaken. It's happened before  :lame:

• Like 1

Tro, the CRF250L utilizes a judder sprung wet clutch that sits in the wet sump system. This is opposed to a dry-sump dry-clutch system. I was always under the impression that made a difference but maybe I'm mistaken. It's happened before  :lame:

The clutch isn't being used so it makes no difference.  I have been shifting clutch-less for decades.  Never had an issue.  Many were XR's with dry sump systems also.

• Like 3

The clutch isn't being used so it makes no difference.  I have been shifting clutch-less for decades.  Never had an issue.  Many were XR's with dry sump systems also.

Fair enough. Learn something new everyday.  :ride:

Not another one of these threads...

Nope Fishsticks, it's not another one of those threads.  Leave anymore cute girls in the rain lately?

• Like 1

I do not understand the benefit ... :unsure:

It's so you can keep your left hand free to text while you ride. Duuuuuh!  :devil:

• Like 5

i have not shifted clutchless  on the L either... i don't know why!!!! lol...  i just felt smooth and fast without doing so...  i only used my clutch on my cr250 to get moving from a standstill...  lol  but i was told after 10 years of doing so that i was wrong for doing so...  i didn't ever really use a clutch in a car either... my uncle taught me stick at 12 years old.. he's a truck driver... clutch is a bad word to him....  hahaha

i am gonna give it a go...  i always thought it was a much smoother, quicker shift on the cr250... plus, when my RAM mount cup holder comes i am gonna need a free hand to enjoy my beverage!!!!    :ride:

• Like 4

I think i'll use my clutch that Honda provided--i not ever in a hurry and i ride alone almost all the time :thumbsup:  :ride: 

i have not shifted clutchless  on the L either... i don't know why!!!! lol...  i just felt smooth and fast without doing so...  i only used my clutch on my cr250 to get moving from a standstill...  lol  but i was told after 10 years of doing so that i was wrong for doing so...  i didn't ever really use a clutch in a car either... my uncle taught me stick at 12 years old.. he's a truck driver... clutch is a bad word to him....  hahaha

i am gonna give it a go...  i always thought it was a much smoother, quicker shift on the cr250... plus, when my RAM mount cup holder comes i am gonna need a free hand to enjoy my beverage!!!!    :ride:

Well .... all you guys know how I do not like the LRP reference to this bike ... and how I much I prefer it be called a Honey Badger right ...... 

even tho I love Jack ... I do not like the Jack honey except in this case ..... check this out .............  :lol:

tumblr_lvpwbcigYP1r1jqggo1_500.jpgpost-327736-13984667245783_thumb.jpg

• Like 3