Durability of the 2013/2014 kx250f how has yours held up?

I was looking at the MXA shootout of the 2014 250's. When we got to first place which was the kx250f. In their words this is what they said "KX250F frame can be improved. We also think that Kawasaki would do well to look closely at the notchy transmission, weak brakes, frail clutch, bulky styling and borderline durability. That is a big wish list, but it needs to be targeted before our testers fall head over boots in love with the KX250F." It seems to me like the bike isn't a very good handler and also may have some durability problems. So I want to know how have your bikes lasted and if you had problems what were they(handling included because it seems suspect)? What didnt you like about the bike and if you'd recommend it to someone or if you had the chance buy a different bike? 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/mxas-2014-kawasaki-kx250f-motocross-test-sometimes-you-love-something-in-spite-of-its-flaws

Here is the full hate list for the kx

1) Shifting. Surprise! Kawasaki revised the transmission gears for 2014. Surprise! Once again, the KX250F refuses to shift under a heavy load.

(2) Clutch. Buy stiffer aftermarket clutch springs before you walk out the front door of your local dealership.

(3) Chain guide. Sprocket, meet chain guide. Chain guide, meet your worst enemy. It’s time to get T.M. Designworks, at (541) 772-4161, on the horn.

(4) Grips. We were pleased to see that the KX250F came with softer grips that were 10mm longer last year. For 2014 they are 10mm shorter. Hello, McFly? Anybody in there?

(5) Plastics. The fork guards are frail, and we don’t like that Kawasaki the ditched black side panels in favor of white. Why? Because 250 class rules require black backgrounds.

(6) Kawasaki’s lawyers. The cotter pin through the rear axle and vulcanized grip on the clutch-side are the the contributions of Kawasaki’s lawyers.

Here's my 2 cents after running them two years at nationals. 1 2012 got us to Loretta's last year now we have 2 13's racing 250B so they are ridden hard.

1) chain sliders wear out quickly

2) use stock clutch springs with Hinson components and never fry clutches. 45 hours on last clutch

3) never had a mechanical failure

4) Motors rip! Fastest 250 period!

5) handling is decent, different clamps changes it to excellent

6) ride a 14 Yamaha and your Kawi will feel skinny, they are far from bulky. That's a surprising statement

7) bone stock they can compete and win at national levels

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents after running them two years at nationals. 1 2012 got us to Loretta's last year now we have 2 13's racing 250B so they are ridden hard.

1) chain sliders wear out quickly

2) use stock clutch springs with Hinson components and never fry clutches. 45 hours on last clutch

3) never had a mechanical failure

4) Motors rip! Fastest 250 period!

5) handling is decent, different clamps changes it to excellent

6) ride a 14 Yamaha and your Kawi will feel skinny, they are far from bulky. That's a surprising statement

7) bone stock they can compete and win at national levels

Really it felt skinnier? Thats crazy to me because in years passed I always thought the kx felt wide and the yamaha skinny. Then again i sat on a 2010 yz450f and i felt spread eagle on that thing. Do you think maybe the whole handling whoas could be a ploy with pro circuit? Because it seems most people fix it with triple clamps

Really it felt skinnier? Thats crazy to me because in years passed I always thought the kx felt wide and the yamaha skinny. Then again i sat on a 2010 yz450f and i felt spread eagle on that thing. Do you think maybe the whole handling whoas could be a ploy with pro circuit? Because it seems most people fix it with triple clamps

the 13's &14's are much narrower. Probably right with the clamps

i have a 14 and the bike absolutely rips.in all honesty i dont really have a hate list. these magazines pick every little stupid thing apart. the one thing they are right about is the shifting under a heavy load. other than that the suspension, motor, and everything else is great. i run the suspension as stiff as possible and its good stock. motor pulls all day long and is night and day than my 2012 yz250f.

• Like 2

only problem we have had with my sons 2014 is the frail radiator shrouds are already cracked and broken. He hasnt even crashed in order to crack them.

• Like 2

Yea mine are cracked too but you can't even tell unless you know they are. Plastics arnt a big deal

Love mine so far. Only things I would like to change (it's only a month old) are adding a tooth to the rear sprocket, replacing the crappy stock chain and sprockets (an obvious move on every bike), and stiffer clutch springs.

• Like 1

I have a 13' love the bike, it definitely isn't made of the quality or have the finish of a honda/yamaha. But it's still a durable bike and absolutely rips stock! Only real complaint is the shift under a heavy load.. But supposedly they fixed that in 14. And in 13, they made the frame 4mm narrower on each side. It feels like a thick mountain bike- very flickable imo

They did improve it, but still the shifting is an issue. My '13 had almost 70 hours with nothing but oil changes, while the '14 had some electronic issues with 30 hours only..

I absolutely love my bike but I blew the fork seals at 3 hours and the bar mounts bent at 6 hours. I re valved my suspension and the bike feels like a charm just needed a few parts to fit me

Mine is at 50 hours doing a rebuild on it now and piston looks perfect head perfect and valves never been out. Never had a problem with the stock clutch or shifting

Well I can't really give a opinion just yet we only have 4 hours on a 13 model but my son really seems to like the bike , but coming off a honda I think the power diff is what's got him smiling ! With that being said I have read other threads or reviews some saying their two season throw always , cheap plastic crappy bolts that rust , weak frames breaking , feels wore out after 50 hours , ect!!! Is all that shit true ? I know from exsperience honda are fit and finish ! But is the Kawi really that bad ? I'm probally reading in to people's opinions to much but has me second guessing if I made the right choice to switch brands ! I'm not trying to hijack the thread as I feel it's on topic . I would like to hear some more info on this especially ok the 13 and 14's

Well I can't really give a opinion just yet we only have 4 hours on a 13 model but my son really seems to like the bike , but coming off a honda I think the power diff is what's got him smiling ! With that being said I have read other threads or reviews some saying their two season throw always , cheap plastic crappy bolts that rust , weak frames breaking , feels wore out after 50 hours , ect!!! Is all that shit true ? I know from exsperience honda are fit and finish ! But is the Kawi really that bad ? I'm probally reading in to people's opinions to much but has me second guessing if I made the right choice to switch brands ! I'm not trying to hijack the thread as I feel it's on topic . I would like to hear some more info on this especially ok the 13 and 14's

Liking the positive vibe right now keep em coming as I'm feeling better about it lol

Edited by Whatwentwrong

we are still running stock chain,guide,and slider and sproket at 28hrs. Keep it lubed everytime you come off the track and they will last. Its due thou for chain and sprocket

Ive had a 13' and 14' 

Both Bikes have been pretty much faultless.

The 13' had 75hrs on it, I did a top end at 25hrs,  Piston hardly had wear.  I didn't touch the valves or the bottom end, Bike started first kick hot every time. 

The 14' currently has 73hrs,  I did a top end at 32hrs, again hardly any wear.  Its currently getting a full motor rebuild (wiseco piston,Oem valves, hot rods crank). 

Im really interested to see how much wear their is….

I had to through a Hinson clutch kit in at 50hrs, as the stock was warned out. This is because i tend to slip the clutch alot. 

Only fault, the stock the chain setup is noisy as hell. Best best is to through a decent chain on and replace the chain guides with the T.m works one. 

I actually pulled the swing arm and linkage apart last week for the first time , and even at 70hrs of riding in sand. Only one bearing was worn.

Wheels bearings were replaced at the same time..

The bikes are great stock, Honestly they tend to rev out quickly so I've found shift early and ride a gear higher.  When everyone corners in 3rd, I'm in 4th, its just a lot smoother and eliminates the engine breaking which 3rd has.

Aslong as your not riding on the limiter, keep the oil fresh ( i do oil/filter every 4hrs)  these bikes should go for ages… 

Majority of my riding is done in deep sand,so I'm hard on the bike.