2014 YZ250f owners, how do you like the bike so far?

I was reading the MXA 250f shootout and so far it looks like yamaha took a step in the right direction. Here was the downside to the YZ from MXA's perspective

"The YZ250F is the spitting image of the YZ450F. That’s not bad, but it’s not good, either. The YZ450F has a tendency to feel very loose at corner entrance, and the YZ250F also hunts and pecks for traction. The difference is that the uncomfortable looseness isn’t as apparent on the YZ250F because the 250 engine doesn’t have the thrust of the YZ450F engine. Test riders struggled to find the proper race sag and fork-leg height to balance the chassis. Even then, test riders still had a hard time with vagueness at turn-in, the weak front brake and the handlebar bend."

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/yamaha-tests/2014-mxa-250-four-stroke-shootout-crf250-vs-kx250f-vs-250sxf-vs-rm-z250-vs-yz250f

So it seems like the bike isnt the best handling? What do you guys think of this? How was the handling for you guys? If there is some handling problems how do you plan on fixing it(triple clamps, linkage, revalve, etc) Is there any other complaints you guys have had? Or has the bike been pretty awesome for you, at 221 lbs and being the lightest bike that is a definite plus to me.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/mxas-2014-yamaha-yz250f-motocross-test-everybody-loves-an-underdog-and-if-you-dont-love-it-get-used-to-following-it-2 Heres the full list of things they hated.

(1) Handlebars. The oversize handlebars are a nice touch, but the bend and sweep weren’t favored by any test rider. We switched to a Renthal Twinwall 997 bend and immediately noticed a change for the better.

(2) Front brake. The YZ250F front brake should be taken as seriously as Ernest P. Worrell. Hey, Vern, know what we mean?

(3) Exhaust pipe. It’s neat in design but a nightmare to remove, especially the header piece that wraps around the cylinder.

(4) Brackets. It’s nitpicky, but the aluminum brackets fall out when removing the YZ250F plastic and are a pain to line up when it comes time to reinstall the plastic.

Seems like nothing too bad. I wonder why it didnt beat out the kx?

I had a chance to ride stock yz250f '14 last week. My race built kx250f '14 didn't want to start due to bad vehicle-down sensor and my friend borrowed me the bike.

After the race was done, first thing I said was if anyone wants to buy my kx250f.

I was and still am so impressed with the bike, it handles waaay better than kawi, it has awesome engine just like kawi if not better. It pulls like there is no end and feels so light in the corners, air..

• Like 1

My opinion of it:

Good:

The motor rips. Probably as good as any stock 250F motor ever. Good suspension (obviously). It feels super light as far as leaning it over and in the air. Overall it just feels very agile.

Bad:

Feels kinda big/wide in a way. I thought while turning it sorta searches a bit for the line. I don't know if it is just due to how light the bike actually feels, but I just felt like it isn't quite as accurate/stable in turns as it could be.

Overall, with some set-up and time on it, it is probably a great bike for all levels of rider. Plus, you know you are getting a solid, reliable bike.

My brother and I both each got a new yz250f this year, and I must say they are impressive! So far only about 4 hours on them but my overall opinion is,

Good- super throttle response! excellent low and mid range power, rider cockpit is neutral and comfortable, feels really light and easy to maneuver, shifts super smooth. 

Bad- exhaust is definitely on the noisy side, intake noise is noticeable and a bit strange when your not used to it, can sometimes feel slightly unsure entering corners,  but nothing to serious.

I am no expert rider and have never owned a 250f and so far I haven't been in any situation where I wish I had gotten another 250 two stroke or 450. Excellent bike!

• Like 1

I've had my front end wash out on me a few times in slick flat corners, but aside from that haven't had any issues with cornering at all. Seems like MXA was searching hard to find things to dislike. The exhaust wasn't hard at all to remove when installing my DRD system, and while I haven't ridden anything to compare the front brake to, it doesn't seem bad to me...although I do plan on getting a braided line and oversize rotor.

It's MXA. I think they are a bit biased and take anything they say with a grain of salt. Hoping to ride mine for the first time later this week.

Really? I always thought MXA was the least biased out of all the mags? 

Edited by Tony477g

I feel like MXA are as pretty straight forward as it comes, when we are talking MX mags. That being said, I still don't take what anyone says like it is the law either. For me, the new YZ is really good. I do think it had a touch of an odd feel in turns (business or instability. It is hard to explain) but it isn't bad by any means. It must just be the way it has a low-center of gravity and maybe even the reverse-rotating motor. The bike is a few pounds heavier than the previous model but when you ride it, it feels lighter! For me that was a good thing in almost every area except possibly contributed to the odd feel in turns. If riding back to back with a 10-13, I prefer the handling of the previous bike but other than that the '14 is as good or better in all other areas. 

I could live with it. It just takes some getting used to, it's 'different'. That's the only way I can describe it. Plus, just swapping back and forth with other bikes just exaggerated it a bit, I assume. I would for sure be willing to spend the money on clamps or a link etc to improve it though if it were me. I'll probably be riding it again this weekend (it is my friend that has the '14, I have a '10). We are both about the same size/weight/speed and have never had any issues swapping bikes, so what works for one usually works for the other. So far he just has the stock stuff adjusted. I haven't ridden different clamps or one with the suspension done up, to compare.  This is all just my opinion though. I didn't like the way the 06-09 YZ250f handled either but some guys loved it (but I love the 2stroke 125/250 05+ and 10-13 250f). Either way, the '14 is a great bike.

• Like 1

I hit the scales at 215 and the bike pull's surprisingly well for my size, this is my 1st 4 stroke and love everything about it, I'm trying to get use to the engine braking but do admit that the bike has great power and still start's on first or second kick. Also, hook's up with any type of terrain. No mud riding yet.

Edited by Alan48

Really? I always thought MXA was the least biased out of all the mags?

Sorry. Biased wasn't the right word. I think for the masses we won't notice a lot of "issues" they point out. I feel like I am a good rider but I will never notice half of what MXA's test riders notice.

• Like 1

The 250f and 450f won MX bike of the year in ADB - knocking the Kawi's off the top.

I have riden both extensively but they are Euro spec and this seems to make a difference. The Euro bikes are definitely sprung and quite possibly valved differently.

Heres what we did to dial the 250f in;

Striped and rebuilt the forks after break in 300cc S1 in outer chamber and stock cc S1 in damping cart. Forks pushed through clamps 6mm. Rear sag set at 106mm. Clickers to suit track, I can check these if anyone is interested. This model likes to sit high in the rear ( quite different than the previous model, have run every model since '09 ). Rider 80kg. Still a work in progress but its the off season here and R&D still to come, this did improve considerably over stock.

Engine- run it in then played around with maps. FMF 4.1 slip on. Advanced ignition and increased fuel to give more drive through the bottom and mid with a strong pull to the limiter. Motor rips now ( keep in mind that the Euro bikes appear to run a different ECU though ). Eventually will up the comp, cam it, Vortex ign,complete ex system and do some head work. At this stage wanted to see how good the average Joe can get the stock package with minimal work ( I help out a few punters here and there ).

Things that make the difference:

Spring the bike for your weight ( its obvious but often overlooked and late model MX bikes are more sensitive to it than the old school stuff ), especially the rear - it needs to be riding in the 'sweet spot'

Run the right tyres for the terrain, especially the front. Dont expect the front to 'stick' if the traction is not there - this has made a significant difference to both the 250 and 450 for the terrain we ride on. Its obvious I know but often overlooked by the average Joe.

Fitting footpegs that have a low setting eg: Fastway helped sort out the peg to gear lever ergo's - my Tech 10's just did not have the room to get my toe in stock and I kept tapping the lever while moving around on the bike occasionally making ghost shifts.

Fit some high bars if you are a taller rider, the stock bars are very low. I found the stock ones caused me to get a sore back and messed up the front to back balance through whoops etc.

There is still a lot of work to be done to get the 250f competitive at the top level and TBH with 250 2 bangers allowed in MX2 here in Australasia we might bite the bullet yet and run a YZ250 2s, quite a advantage power wise stock 4 stock.

The bike is awesome, a huge improvement over the previous gen. You need seat time to really appreciate it.

Edited by zeuszuki
  • Like 1

I like mine alot. Strong motor and very good stock suspension. Chassi is well balanced.

The only thing that bugs me sometimes is the radiatorshrouds are a little on the wide side. But Cycra is coming out with some thinner one piece shrouds soon...should cure the problem.

The loose feeling coming in to corners is something I also have been noticed lately.

Didn't noticed it at first, but been riding on different soils lately and been experienced it at certain terrains.

Note a real big problem...just something to get used to.

While it doesn't happen often and isn't a huge deal...I've noticed it has kinda broken my confidence a little as you never know when it might want to get loose on you. It rails ruts and berms like a dream but I find myself a little hesitant coming into flat and off camber corners. Getting way up on the seat does seem to help a lot though

• Like 1

So you guys that are feeling the loose front end, do you plan on trying to fix it? What possibly could? I always revalve my bikes just cause at 5'5'' and 130lbs I haven't ridden a stock bike that I felt comfortable with the suspension haha. With a revalve though shouldnt it fix the problem? 

So you guys that are feeling the loose front end, do you plan on trying to fix it? What possibly could? I always revalve my bikes just cause at 5'5'' and 130lbs I haven't ridden a stock bike that I felt comfortable with the suspension haha. With a revalve though shouldnt it fix the problem? 

New springs and valving will help tremendously with handling. I'm 5'9" and 130lbs and the stock suspension was way to stiff.

• 1 year later...

My two sons bought 2 new leftover 2014 yz250f.... We have always been Honda riders and have always had good luck with them. I bought a like new 2006 yz450, so my sons wanted to follow with blue... My son in law loved my 06 so much I sold it to him and I got a 2014 yz250 two stroke..... Ok everybody is happy.... We tore the bikes all down lube the swing arm steering head clean the air filters the way they should be.... we got a bit of riding in till the weather got bad... we ride one weekend, usually 1 day... Next weekend were changing oil filters air filter checking everything.... We check the valves at 10 hours all on the money... went 15 hours more, (oil filter and air filter every ride) at the 25 hour mark we tore the bikes down again swing arm steering re checked valves all great.... We went to North Carolina motocross park  last week. My son got a new GYTR tuner and we hooked it up and sure enough we had 26 total hours on the bike... A few laps in and his bike lost power and was knocking bad. I told him cut it off as it sounds like a valve keeper broke.... Needless to say he was not very happy at this point.... I got it back to the shop took the valve cover off brought the bike to top dead center and you could feel it like the piston was just slightly touching a valve. I checked all valve clearance and amazing they were all in specs! but strangely at the point where the piston felt obstruction the left intake valve looked as if it was lower than the right side... At this point I told my son take it back to Yamaha. Since Yamaha is a company built on a good reliable background and we are above average on our maintaining the bikes its got to be a defect.... Sure enough the dealer said the cam twisted!!! They said they have never seen this happen on any bike ever! They contacted Yamaha and told them everything and also added the bike was maintained meticulously. Yamaha Said so sad too bad. You would think they would stand behind this! I guess all the Yamahas will be sold and going back to Honda...