Sign in to follow this  

Battery life

This came up with a recent incident with my street bike, 11 years and 64000 miles and the factory battery failed. Got me thinking, first battery failure I've had with a vehicle that I've owned since new. Talking up to 8 years and 160,000 miles and no failure/replacement until now. Used vehicles, cars, trucks, bikes, RV's, usually replace the first year. Then never again.

My '03 Dakota, 11 years and 100,000 miles, original battery, am I on borrowed time?

Mike

I have always considered any automotive battery on borrowed time after 5 years

Yea, keep hearing that. I guess the question is rhetorical.

Mike

I seem to get 7-8 years.  Heat is what kills them more than anything. Cold just shows you if they are weak, doesn't shorten their life span like heat does. 

• Like 1

I've owned 5 different vehicles, and every one of them except one needed the battery replaced within a year of me purchasing the vehicle.  The batteries were all around 6-7 years old.  Most of the vehicles I sold after 2-3 years so I don't know how long the new batteries lasted.

My Frontier has been around the longest at 8 years, there's 4 years and about 90,000 miles on the current battery.  I've got 2 amps in that truck, and it spends a lot of time at bonfires playing music, so I don't expect it'll last very long.

I've owned 5 different vehicles, and every one of them except one needed the battery replaced within a year of me purchasing the vehicle. The batteries were all around 6-7 years old. Most of the vehicles I sold after 2-3 years so I don't know how long the new batteries lasted.

My Frontier has been around the longest at 8 years, there's 4 years and about 90,000 miles on the current battery. I've got 2 amps in that truck, and it spends a lot of time at bonfires playing music, so I don't expect it'll last very long.

Ever thought about a second battery for the amps?

If you install a battery isolator, you can drain the rear batt. and still start your truck with the front battery.

Having an extra battery will also help take care of voltage drop

I've thought about it, but probably won't bother with it unless I put in a larger amp for my sub.

I seem to get 7-8 years.  Heat is what kills them more than anything. Cold just shows you if they are weak, doesn't shorten their life span like heat does. 

Batteries are fickle.  I had a '95 Yukon that would eat a battery just about every 2 years on the dot.  It was bone stock.  Great truck for the 8 years and 4 batteries we had it.  Wife '93 accord had 3 batteries in the 13 years we owned it.  The last one was a $5 refurb that I put in 7years before we sold the car.  The other vehicles we've owned have stayed in the 3 to 5 year range.  Except with our e450 Motorhome.  We replaced coach batteries every 2 years and always during the summer. However, the chassis battery was 3 years old when we bought it and was still going strong when we sold it 5 years later.

Edited by quailchaser

Batteries are fickle.

No, you live in an oven! 

JK, mostly. Lived out there a few years, had my Jeep battery fail in Phoenix. It was 7 years old. Went to fire it up after work and all I got was a shot-gun-like-blast under the hood, then zero power. Opened the hood and everything looked ok, then I noticed the ground terminal was sort of crooked. Lifted it right out of the battery. Sealed, maintenance free battery, decided to vent itself I guess. 2001 TJ, original battery, happened in 2008. 

My other current battery experiences:

Original battery in the wife's 2007 VW, getting tired. If it's below 45 deg or so it's noticeably slower cranking. Doesn't help we store it winters and I haven't used a battery tender, just start the car and run 20-30 min it every 2-3 weeks. 

5 year old battery in my truck (92 C2500), still was cranking it up at -20 deg this winter despite not changing out the 10W-30 conventional. Surprised this one is still going, as 2 years back I left my interior light on at the airport, and was gone for 2 weeks. By the way, EVERYONE is too busy to stop and help give a jump when leaving an airport. I was parked right near the exit, and standing with jumper cables and the hood up and waving anyone down that could help. Seriously 100 people drove past me, and I would bet 60-70% would turn and look the other way as they went by, pretending they didn't see me.

8 year old battery (Jan 2006) in the Buick (97 LeSabre). This one has surprised me, as I left my aftermarket fog lights on one day/night as they were completely packed with snow and I didn't realize they were on. Stone dead battery 13 hours later. Charged it up, not a hint that it was drained, fires the car off at -15 to -20 deg, no problem.