Sign in to follow this  

Top end rebuilt

So I just got my top end rebuilt and I want to know how long it will take for my break in time just a. Stock bore nothing special it's a 2004 crf 450r

I'm old school, but I ride normally except no extreme revving or lugging. Change the oil. Maybe a couple of hours for both.

Mike

I'm old school, but I ride normally except no extreme revving or lugging. Change the oil. Maybe a couple of hours for both.

Mike

Alright I'm just trying to figure it out cause my uncle was telling me 10 hours of riding time before I can let it rip again

Alright I'm just trying to figure it out cause my uncle was telling me 10 hours of riding time before I can let it rip again

I could ALMOST live with 10 hours. Won't hurt anything, but you miss out on 8 hours of ripping. I can't say he's wrong, everyone has their own theory. If you do a search you'll be even more confused.  Your bike, your money, you decide.

Don't worry too much about it. Modern bikes are pretty good.

Mike

I could ALMOST live with 10 hours. Won't hurt anything, but you miss out on 8 hours of ripping. I can't say he's wrong, everyone has their own theory. If you do a search you'll be even more confused. Your bike, your money, you decide.

Don't worry too much about it. Modern bikes are pretty good.

Mike

We will see I think I'm gonna go with your theory cause that means I can ride without feeling like a newb lol

So I just got my top end rebuilt and I want to know how long it will take for my break in time just a. Stock bore nothing special it's a 2004 crf 450r

I break in everything with heat cycles and then lite riding , some say just give it hell right out of the box  :facepalm:

I break in everything with heat cycles and then lite riding , some say just give it hell right out of the box :facepalm:

How do you do heat cycles?

We will see I think I'm gonna go with your theory cause that means I can ride without feeling like a newb lol

You mostly can't go wrong, whatever you do. You will build experience and figure out what works best for you. I know what works for me, but that knowledge was not free. Good luck.

Mike

Heat cycles is bringing the bike up to full temperature, cool down, then repeat several times. Another good idea. See how involved this can get. At some point you have to stop worrying about it and get back to having fun.

Mike

Start it up and run it on the stand slightly revving the engine 1/16-1/8 throttle just so it's not just idling until the tops of the radiators are hot to the touch , shut it off allow to cool completely couple hours repeat 2 more times , Heat and cool 3 times total i have a link i'll post too that tells you a different approach which does make some sense but i'll do my heat cycles . 

If you can sit through it all :lol: I posted the wrong video lmao

Lol...that's ok, it was very entertaining nonetheless. That guy makes me laugh.

To the OP. Personally, and I don't want to tell anyone else how to treat their equipment, but I used to be SUPER anal about break-in after a rebuild. I would do the heat cycles, then for the first tank of fuel I would vary the throttle position, and no hard acceleration, bla, bla, bla....

However, on the last few I've done I'll start it up, take it easy until the rad feels good and warm, then rip on it like I stole it. To be honest I have no clue about which way is better, but the pistons always come out looking good. Over the years I have come to believe that if you are diligent, and proactive with maintence such as filter changes, using quality oils, etc......it will serve you well regardless of break-in. Also, if you are redoing top ends at the end of their service life, as opposed to running them until there's problems, then you should also never have issues. I think modern machines are built with pretty precise tolerances, which is maybe why it's not so important how you break it in vs back in day...

Just my $.02. But this is likely one of the most debated topics in the power sports world...lol. So you do what will give you greatest piece of mind ;)

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

Lol...that's ok, it was very entertaining nonetheless. That guy makes me laugh.

To the OP. Personally, and I don't want to tell anyone else how to treat their equipment, but I used to be SUPER anal about break-in after a rebuild. I would do the heat cycles, then for the first tank of fuel I would vary the throttle position, and no hard acceleration, bla, bla, bla....

However, on the last few I've done I'll start it up, take it easy until the rad feels good and warm, then rip on it like I stole it. To be honest I have no clue about which way is better, but the pistons always come out looking good. Over the years I have come to believe that if you are diligent, and proactive with maintence such as filter changes, using quality oils, etc......it will serve you well regardless of break-in. Also, if you are redoing top ends at the end of their service life, as opposed to running them until there's problems, then you should also never have issues. I think modern machines are built with pretty precise tolerances, which is maybe why it's not so important how you break it in vs back in day...

Just my $.02. But this is likely one of the most debated topics in the power sports world...lol. So you do what will give you greatest piece of mind ;)

Exactly , i've always done heat cycles and will continue , my builds i use too much assembly lube and use competition cams break in oil during break in on 4 strokes. I'm pretty anal about my stuff i'm told but as you said gives me peace of mind . Example on my 250 build assembly lube everywhere  :lol:

IMG_2135.JPG

• Like 1

Exactly , i've always done heat cycles and will continue , my builds i use too much assembly lube and use competition cams break in oil during break in on 4 strokes. I'm pretty anal about my stuff i'm told but as you said gives me peace of mind . Example on my 250 build assembly lube everywhere  :lol:

Yet there again you've opened another can of worms that's been much debated.......putting it together "dry or oiled?"

Personally, I'm with oiled on that one :)

Yet there again you've opened another can of worms that's been much debated.......putting it together "dry or oiled?"

Personally, I'm with oiled on that one :)

New TT battle WET V.S. DRY  :lol:

• Like 1

If you can sit through it all :lol: I posted the wrong video lmao

That video helped a lot I'm probably gonna do what he says lol

That video helped a lot I'm probably gonna do what he says lol

He's actually talking more about 4 strokes i think and it makes some sense with them 2 strokes not so much 

He's actually talking more about 4 strokes i think and it makes some sense with them 2 strokes not so much

Good thing I got a. 4 stroke then lol