Sign in to follow this  

Throttle position sensor

So while rejetting my carb for the 3x3 and mrd ssw I removed the throttle position sensor the wrong way by unscrewing it as opposed to disconnecting the wire. Oops. I put it back on like normal. I ran the bike with the stock pipe still on and it ran like crap. The pipe will be here Monday afternoon. Hopefully the open pipe will have it running better as it's jetted for one. My question is, will removing the tps and putting it back on that way cause any problems?

I hope I did...I just popped it back in (I believe) the same way it came off. I guess we'll find out when I put the pipe on. Now if it doesn't run right I'll have one more variable. Great.

I haven't used the TPS in years. First I unplugged it for awhile then the last time I had the carb out I just removed it and capped off the hole it left behind.

Ok good to know. I got the pipe on and it runs fine it just backfires really bad on decel. I have 3x3 with open mrd ssw jd jet kit blue needle 4th clip down with 160 main and stock pilot jet. Extended fuel screw 2.75 turns out. At about 600 feet above sea level. What should I try to minimize the backfire?

Deceleration rumble is normal on most aftermarket pipes. Is yours truly backfiring or is it decel rumble? if its the rumble there isn't too much you can do about it and no real worry or concerns. If its actual back firing then I would suspect jetting. I am not skilled enough to make jetting recommendations but your specs seem to be the normal starting point IIRC. I am sure one of the others more skilled in jetting will offer up better jetting advice if its backfiring.

About 1:31 you can hear a good example of the normal decel rumble 

(not me in video, no idea who it is...just turned up in a search)

Edited by ROMAD

Deceleration rumble is normal on most aftermarket pipes. Is yours truly backfiring or is it decel rumble? if its the rumble there isn't too much you can do about it and no real worry or concerns. If its actual back firing then I would suspect jetting. I am not skilled enough to make jetting recommendations but your specs seem to be the normal starting point IIRC. I am sure one of the others more skilled in jetting will offer up better jetting advice if its backfiring.

About 1:31 you can hear a good example of the normal decel rumble

(not me in video, no idea who it is...just turned up in a search)

I noticed right before I left for work that the original header had a gasket that the mrd instructions said can be used with the new one. I didn't put it in with the new one and I gave the header a wiggle and noticed it had come loose after heating up. So tomorrow before work i'll pop the gasket in and make sure the header is good and tight and hopefully she purrs like a kitten.