Clip 4, and 155/160 Sea Level

2014 drzsm, mrd ssw/3x3/k&n/jd Jet kit

I live at Sea Level

jetting is:

Blue needle

3rd clip

160 main

25 pilot

I did all this stuff at once and when I rode the bike It feels like all the power is in one spot compared to stock where it felt like a nice increase. Will moving the clip to 4th position make the power come in earlier getting rid of the lag? Also I was thinking about trying a 155 main to lean it out a bit and see if that makes a difference, but im really thinking this is a needle issue? Thoughts?

Yeah I think the clip pos. could change that a bit, from memory that was where I felt it a little bit in a similar context.

(I'm sure you did the fuel screw / idle adjustment procedure carefully? And have therefore made sure the pilot jet is correct? The need for and benefit from the adjustment is discussed less than I would have thought given the difference it made on my bike at least.)

I used the only pilot supplied with the kit which was a 25. I replaced the stock fuel screw with the dj screw set at 2.5 out. How does the pilot jet play a role in the engine operation?

Is the exhaust corked(quiet insert) or uncorked(open)?  if its corked you may want to go down to a 155 main.

But definitely give the 4th clip a try as Craigo mentioned.

I had a corked Yoshi RS-3 on my first drz and I ran the following setting at sea level - 1000ft and it ran fantastic, 2nd gear power wheelies were no problem, 3rd with some effort and clutch.

Blue needle

4th clip

155 main 

22.5 pilot with extended fuel screw...

• Like 1

It's a PIA. I have to take half the bike apart to rotate the carb. I changed to clip 4 and it made a huge difference! Its got power all through the range like it use to. I'm gonna try the 155 and 22.5 pilot. I can smell extra half burned fuel in the exhaust. Kinda like a sweet smell so I'm guessing it's too rich.

It's a PIA. I have to take half the bike apart to rotate the carb. I changed to clip 4 and it made a huge difference! Its got power all through the range like it use to. I'm gonna try the 155 and 22.5 pilot. I can smell extra half burned fuel in the exhaust. Kinda like a sweet smell so I'm guessing it's too rich.

Run it without the air box door , if it's better go down in the main jet size.....

Remember main jet controls  3/4 to wide open throttle, test before and after door removal under same test conditions...

Don't confuse mid throttle results with WOT, as mid is controlled by needle...

set your fuel screw via procedure in FAQ's

Edited by Craigo 485sm