Sign in to follow this  

Trade my fz1 for 05 crf450x?

It has been in my brain for a while now, I need to slow the hell down and enjoy thumpers more. I love exploring and general adventuring on my 02 xr650l, but it's a hefty pig that I don't want to throw any more money at. All I do is commute and run groceries on my fz1, I no longer have time for epic cross state day trips. Has anyone else traded sport for a full on motard, and had to look back? I sincerely love my Fz but I can't afford to be hurt. ( It tells you to do horrible things all the time.....)

I found an 05 X on local craigslist, it is full motard with a crf head, stage 3 hotcam and crf pipe. Is the crf head a major upgrade? I love my xr, it is absolutely bullet proof. But if I trade for a crf I need it to be reliable as well.

Fyi, I do not race or plan on it, I want a bike I can run street and dirt rims on, and absolutely rip both terrains.

Thanks for any input

How about a XR650R a little more stout then a CRF and a little more capable then a XR650L. I have a friend that rides his 650R down to Baja every year about a 400 mile trip one way from where I am. 

The R is definitely a dream bike for me, I would love one but I'm looking at riding more single track and doing some awesome jumps the xr can't do. I rode my buddies wr450 and loves how nimble and easy it was to ride. It reminded me of my old RM and kx250's. I will have the R in my stable one day..... but for now a light nimble X is on my list.

The R is definitely a dream bike for me, I would love one but I'm looking at riding more single track and doing some awesome jumps the xr can't do. I rode my buddies wr450 and loves how nimble and easy it was to ride. It reminded me of my old RM and kx250's. I will have the R in my stable one day..... but for now a light nimble X is on my list.

My point being a CRF is not a great street bike and isn't happy on the pavement for long periods, I would not ride my X to baja, but a XR yes. If you want a lighter bike for trails and dirt then the CRF is a good bike for that, but it is not the best dual purpose bike, thats why I was proposing a 650R, which will take jumps all day too and single track, it's just a bit heavier than the CRF.  276 lbs vs 260 lbs dry weight roughly.