Sign in to follow this  

Dr 200 can it keep up?

Hey guys, heres my issue. I live in venezuela where only the extremely rich people can buy proper dirtbikes. So me and my friends were riding chineese motorcycles cause we were noobs and altough we still are, most of them moved to 250 dirtbikes like yz and crf. I dont have the money to buy anything like that but i see that the dr 200 is my budget, i know its not a beautyful bike, but since is not a beauty contest and i really dont care the looks of it and how my friends laugh, what really matters is, will iil be able to keep up with my friends?

We ride mostly on hills. Can some share your experience with this bike?

Sorry for my bad english

Well the crf and yzf 250s are built for racing. They are going to be alot faster then your bike because of the gear ratio in them. Your bike is setup for trails and bottom end torque hill climbing torque as theirs is setup for racing and better acceleration. But it doesnt mean its not a fun bike and it will definetly get you up steep hills if you weigh under 200 lbs. they problibly have about the same top speed as you but they will get there alot quicker

I rode one for short trip and thought it was very tame.  More for person to learn how to ride on is what I was thinking.  

It's not the kind of bike that is performance oriented. The bikes you mentioned will run away from the DR200. But, you'll be able to ride on and off road. My wife and I both own the DR200. Great basic entry bikes and lots of fun. But don't expect to run down your friends. I'd go with the DRZ 400 if you are looking for something a little more aggressive. But, they are a lot more expensive

I've owned a DR 200 in the past (a later SE), still own a DR 125 (early model with kickstart) and also an early 80's XR 200r.  The DR's were never really a competetion bike, but on the right sort of terrain they are actually not a bad little bike.  I've entred my 125 into a few enduros, and not only has it kept going most of the time, i've upset guys on much newer "proper" bikes with it.

The XR on the other hand, is just plain fantastic.  Even at 32 years old, it will still show a modern bike how to do it on the more technical courses.

You might not have the suspension or the power of a "proper" modern bike if you go for the DR 200, but I fairly sure you'll have just as much fun (or more) than the other guys wil and you'll spend less time spannering it.  The other thing with a less powerful bike is you'll soon find your riding will get better quicker too as you can't just wind the throttle open between corners to make up some ground like you can on a more powerful bike.

A dr200 has half as much power as your friends bikes so it's obvious that any situation requiring a lot of power for speed is going to be embarrassing for the dr200 BUT... in situations where your mates cannot use the full power of their bikes such as tight forest trails you could certainly keep up...at least until they have a chance to twist the throttle.

Something you didn't mention was your riding experience or height. That makes a HUGE difference. Being short pretty much eliminates the bigger bikes for me

then i think this bike is a no go for me, cause im 181cm tall and weight almost 100kg... dont know the imperial units sorry,,,,

thanks for your replies, i really apretiate it. Is too bad they only sell the dr200 (which is really cheap) and the dr650(which is too pricey) and dont sell the dr400 wich would be ideal...