Sign in to follow this  

250sx Rear Brake Problem

Hey guys, long time lurker here and I have stumbled on a problem I am having with my 2012 250sx. I changed my all of my fluids over winter like usual, and now I am having rear brake problems. As I am riding and using the rear brake, it heats up as it should, but it overheats and then locks the brake up until it cools. There isn't too much fluid in it because that was one of the first things I checked. No leaks. I have no idea what would've changed from last year when it worked perfect to this. Any advice?

Check to make sure you have some free play where the master cyl actuator engages it from the pedal. If you have that adjusted too high, it can stop the fluid from flowing back into the master cyl from the caliper and cause that kind of issue.

Check to make sure you have some free play where the master cyl actuator engages it from the pedal. If you have that adjusted too high, it can stop the fluid from flowing back into the master cyl from the caliper and cause that kind of issue.

Good point! I forgot about that. I will definately check that. Thanks!

Another question regarding this, how high should the fluid be in the master cylinder before the cap and rubber gromet are put in? I ask because the sight glass sucks lol. I can't tell whether the fluid height fine, if it's too high or if there is nothing in it.

Yeah, that's hard to judge because the bladder on the cap displaces a lot of fluid. But if the pads are new and the brakes are pumped up solid, putting the fluid level at the top of the window seems to work well. You can do the same with worn pads, but be aware that when/if you put new pads in, the system may end up over full, causing the same issue you described above.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's hard to judge because the bladder on the cap displaces a lot of fluid. But if the pads are new and the brakes are pumped up solid, putting the fluid level at the top of the window seems to work well. You can do the same with worn pads, but be aware that when/if you put new pads in, the system may end up over full, causing the same issue you described above.

I meant to comment back on this earlier, but your method worked great! No more locking up.

I meant to comment back on this earlier, but your method worked great! No more locking up.

Glad it worked out. Thanks for letting us know.