Sign in to follow this  

fuel consumption 2014 300rr

did a very technical tough trail ride yesterday and I hit reserve at 24 miles?  that can't be normal....thinking float level is too high, but when I lean the bike I don't see any fuel overflowing???

changed the oil the other day and leaned the bike all they way over to the ignition side to open drain plug and NO gas came out, then leave almost all the way to  clutch side and some gas did overflow???

We just put in 48 miles of single track on Saturday, I'm guessing that I have a little over 1/2 gal. left and did not go on reserve. Must have been close - it shows in both side's little pods that extend down below the shrouds. A couple of connector two tracks where I may have hit 5th other than that it was thrashing to develop a new trail and then trying to stay with a few young 50 yo guy on a developed single track.  Mine did feel a little fat at times so I'm going to drop the needle after the next ride, only have  10.5 hrs and 185 miles on it so far. I'm still not up to speed yet to stay with those guys except in short spurts, this trail is pretty used up with a lot of small whooped out sections and probably 5 miles of rock strewn stuff - mostly smaller square stones that throw you around unless you attack all the time. I'm still playing with the clickers to try to get it more comfortable, but the Sachs forks seem harsh it the first part of the stroke no matter what I do. The shock is fair to middling. Miss my KYB SSS and rear shock, but I put in a lot of time on those with Dave J's help to get them right for me, so I'm going to have to do the same on this one - just wish there was some comprehensive manuals out there as I'm a researcher when it comes to something new. Liking the bike and as others have said it will pull when most everything else would cough and die, should be great when I finally spring for the Rekluse!

The other thing is what is the reserve capacity? When I swapped the valve to my '14 tank, I noticed the pickup tube was fairly long, so it might just be the way its set up. I always run on reserve for racing and then drain the tank to check consumption, only real accurate way to tell.

With the stock '13 2 gal tank, I could go 35 miles or 5 laps on a 7 mile course and have a half gallon left at best. If it was sandy to be safe I'd pit for a half gallon splash and drain a half gallon out after. This is about what everyone else has experienced. So, at that mpg of 17.5, that would mean about 44 miles on the stock '14 2.5 gal tank, including reserve. Maybe the autoclutch has something to do with it? I just don't know.

Edited by GP

Well, I'll be the first admit that I'm not pushing the bike to it's ability - maybe after a month of riding I'll get back up to a reasonable speed. I'll have a two day oldtimer's meet the weekend of the 17th, maybe that will force me to pick it up a bit.

I had to drop the float level on mine. But mine was leaking when on the side stand.

Interesting... mine has done that once, and it always seems to drip a little in the van (petcock is off then naturally), I will check it. I have to look at the carb anyway as the tickover screw seems to be stuck, oddly. 

As for mpg, I think the 300rr is thirsty, in a 2 hour event today it used around 15 litres on dry sandy going.  

hmm my garage does smell like fuel much more since the beta arrived,  I'm going to check the float tonight.  I assume it's just like the ktm...set it a hair lower than parallel with the casting mark in the float and gasket surface?

One other thing to look at is if your tank's check valve is sticking. This will pressurized the tank blowing fuel out the overflow hose while riding. You will not see this unless you are watching from the sidelines. Extreme case you will have hissing when the cap is removed. I almost doubled my bike's mileage by removing this check valve and adjusting the float which was wayyyy off. 2t or 4t is all the same!

Same Keihin PWK 36mm as a KTM.  Easier access though.

More often than not a stuck vent check valve will cause a vacuum and kill the motor.  Happened to me last year in a March race on a GG, ball froze closed.

Last night I drained about 3 qts from mine.  So I used approx 1.75 gal. which is typical.

Yep, happen to my son last month stalled the motor. Then pressurized the tank and caused poor running and stalling. Mileage that race was about 20 mpg, 1.5 gals in 28 miles.

Same Keihin PWK 36mm as a KTM.  Easier access though.

More often than not a stuck vent check valve will cause a vacuum and kill the motor.  Happened to me last year in a March race on a GG, ball froze closed.

Last night I drained about 3 qts from mine.  So I used approx 1.75 gal. which is typical.

check valve was already removed, so this wasn't the cause.  I'll check the floats tonight

Where is this tank check valve located?

In the vent line between the cap and frame fitting

In the vent line between the cap and frame fitting

Hmm, I must have already tossed mine and just dont remember it.

I've got as poor as 25 miles to a tank in the tough technical stuff, over 60 on single track. It's been very close to my GG300 in mileage along with a couple of KTM 300s I've had.

My KTM HAD A 2.9 gal tank in 2010 so I bought the 3.1 for my 300rr should be close to the same range,, about 60 miles?

The most I've got from 8l tank was 96km (2-3 times). 

Usually about 91-93km per tank. 

It's very predictable. I have to switch to reserve at precisely 70km and then I have another 15-20km on reserve. This is from 20 tanks in same conditions. 

If you run out of reserve, you can lean the bike completely on it's left side to get the small pocket of fuel in the lower right part of the tank. It will give you 500-800m of very gentle riding. 

I've found that big downshifts sap a lot of fuel. 

My consumption has gone up in the last 10-15h, but that has something to do with dirty carburetor and mixture being to rich.