Sign in to follow this  

New owner question

I just got a 250x and it's choke is different than mine. So I don't know how to use it. When I'm riding should the choke be pulled out or pushed in. So is the choke on when it's pulled out or pushed in?

The choke is engaged (on) when it's pulled out.   You should only need to use it when the bike is cold, and you should need it for 15 - 45 seconds.

If not, then the bike needs to be re-jetted.

Jim.

Ok I'll rejet it, it starts first kick with it on and I'll leave it awhile and it dies when I take the choke off. I think it's fine when riding but when I just have it on the stand it dies unless I lite it run for a while.

what kind of jet kit would you recommend? Ive been researching around and the JD jetting kit seems to get good reviews. Its for a 2013 250x btw

A JD kit is a good way to go if you don't have a lot of experience with jetting.   Besides a handful of jets and a couple of needles, it gives instructions on what to use in what situations.

With that said, you can buy jets and needles yourself and far cheaper.  You just need to know which ones to buy.  To help with that, there is a  jetting sticky at the top of the forum where people post their setups and where they ride.   If you find one close to yours, then your set.

I should point out though that the JD kit does have multi-taper needles that you cannot get else where.  You can get comparable results though with other needles that you can buy.

Personally, I went with the JD kits for my bikes.   Makes it easy.

Jim.

yea I don't mind spending an extra few bucks on the JD kit to get everything I need and a good set of instructions. Do you think I can order the kit through my honda dealer or do I have to order myself over the internet? Sorry to intrude on this post BTW but thanks for your help

Just order it on-line (and I believe the TT store carries them).   The other thing by the way you get with the JD Kit is great customer service if you do have a problem.  If you have an issue, you can give them a call.

They have always gotten positive feedback here from folks that they have helped out.

Jim.

Its more than likely a dirty carb from sitting if you just bought it. Take it apart , clean it , install new jets , factory spec.go from there. That way you will have a baseline to work from . If you dont screw up your jetting,,,,you dont have to figure out what you did wrong .

To be honest, I'm gonna bring the jet kit to honda and have them install it. I don't have much experience at all with jetting and id like to have someone who knows what there doing do it. The bike right now only has 100 km's on it, do you think i should put more use on it before I install the kit?

You can do it now and the sooner, the better.   The bikes are jetted very lean from the factory, which causes the motor to run hot.

You have to replace the jets.  Jet's and needles are relatively cheap.  Jet's cost from $3  - $10 US.   It's the knowledge of which ones to use when that costs you.

In the case of the JD Kit, you get 4-6 main jets, two needles, and one pilot.  That's about $30 worth of parts and you don't need them all (You need one main, one needle, and a pilot, which you might not need to change).  However the kit costs $80.  What your paying for is that at some point, JD Jetting took a CRF250x, but it on a dyno and ran it in different configurations to know what jetting it needed.   That's how their able to give you a sheet that says, "if you have these mods, ride at this temp and this altitude, then use the following".  It's not perfect always, but it gets you pretty darn close.

For me, that was well worth it.  I didn't need to try out a setup, go out and ride, then try another setup, etc until I had it zeroed in. And perchance you have something unique, they generally help you out over the phone.

If you go the DIY route, you might spend hours trying to figure out the right setup.  However what you can do is look at the jetting FAQ at the top of the forum, find someone that's posted a setup similar to your, rides at the same temp and altitude, and have a pretty fair idea of what the setup should be.

Jim.

• Like 1