Sign in to follow this  

Clutch kit.

My clutch recently started slipping when on the throttle going up hill or on jump faces. I have t stripped it yet but I am guessing that the plates are past their servicable life. Are the budget kits with the plates and springs ok or are they a waste of money bearing in mind I'm a mid pack clubman rider. It's a 07 model. Also what are anyone's thoughts on filing flat any ridges on the basket as I am sure it is going to be covered in them. I need to budget carefully so don't want to spend unless it is necessary. I'm only trying to make the bike reliable, I'm not trying to tune it, I can hardly hold on to the dam thing as it is.

Why are you guessing the plates are worn? Got a 12 dollar caliper? Just measure them. Even if the basket is worn out, notched to hell, the plates usually wont slip unless the pressure plate is worn completely out and youre loosing the clamping force. Its not impossible the springs are sacked out too. A budget clutch is fine. Just get some new springs too.

Why are you guessing the plates are worn? Got a 12 dollar caliper? Just measure them. Even if the basket is worn out, notched to hell, the plates usually wont slip unless the pressure plate is worn completely out and youre loosing the clamping force. Its not impossible the springs are sacked out too. A budget clutch is fine. Just get some new springs too.

I popped it and took some measurements. The springs are indeed shot (44.2mm). The plates are very close to their limit all measuring around 2.9mm (limit 2,85). The basket is notched hell the grooves on the drive side are about 2mm deep. I will get new springs, should I also renew the plates (its hard to say what the wear rate is)

More importantly is filing the basket worth while or a waste of time ? obviously the additional backlash will increase wear on the plate egde (the old ones are showing signs of impact wear). should I just leave it or should I bite the bullet and get a new one?

I forgot to add, there were 8 steel plates in when I stripped the clutch. Two were doubled up in the middle. I heard through the grape vine that the previous owner thought it helped him of the start. Has anyone any thoughts on this. Would this reduce the life of the spring

So he had an extra steel plate in there? Can you do that? The plates need to be a certain length from hub to pressure plate, I would not think there would be room in there and a plate would be past the fingers, or if he just left out a fiber plate that would cause some bad slipping. Maybe I`m wrong never heard of that before.

Deffo an extra steel, I removed 8 fiber and 8 steel . I Have done 44 hrs since I bought the bike, I think it just compresses the spring more

The extra plate thing isnt necessary on that model engine. They add the extra plate when they pullt that stupid Judder spring out of the later model 09-13 engine.

Just put in the budget clutch pack with the correct number of steels with new springs and you should be good there.

Now, filing the notches in the fingers will make the engagement smoother, but only temporarily. The issue is when you get off the throttle and back on..there's too much slop in the basket fingers and the tabs on the fibers beat the shit out of the fingers even faster. Think of it like taking a bigger swing with a hammer. If you can only hit so hard with a 1 foot swing, do ya think you can hit it harder with a two foot swing? You bet your ass you can. And thats exactly what happens in the clutch basket. Now would be a good time to replace the basket if you can part with the cash. There are some less expensive parts around, you can get an OEM basket fairly cheap too. Aftermarket baskets can be had for the $170-190 range. A new OEM basket with a gear and the whole nine to bolt on is basically the same pricing, but isnt as durable. The Barnett basket has staineless inserts to prevent that wear from happening again.

Thanks for the input guys. as I am fairly skint I am just going to renew the springs and file the notches for the time being. I will start saving for the basket and change the whole lot then. It seems fairly low risk if it doesn't work. I will post back how I get on

get a clutch kit, tusk, ebc, barnett

Ive run a few ebc clutch kits in different bikes.  Ive also tried to get "full life" out of my plates on my 125.

Ended with this.

transmission004.jpg 

Here's an update, Filed smooth the basket and tried a new set of springs........still slipping. Bought a new set of steels and and plates and assembled with out the extra plate and the pressure plate wouldn't even touch the clutch plates. Closer inspection ha revealed the pressure plate and the inner hub plate are heavily grooved. I think this is why the previous owner added the additional steel to act as a spacer. I have ordered a new inner hub and pressure plate. I have 're installed the extra steel to get me riding this weekend. I will post some pics when I strip it again.

• Like 1

measure your old fibers, they may still be quite good for later.

another good reason to post photos.. the toasted pp and inner hub woulda been obvious right away to many viewing ;)

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 2

measure your old fibers, they may still be quite good for later.

another good reason to post photos.. the toasted pp and inner hub woulda been obvious right away to many viewing ;)

Think about that. The PO cooked the hub and pressure plate to the point where it needed a spacer and the whole thing was still slipping...

Not putting new plates in after correcting the hub and pressure plate (and hopefully springs too) would be like chasing the cows all night only to get them back but not close the dang gate on the corral again. Even if the plates measure ok, they've gotta be glazed up.