Sign in to follow this  

1989 RM 250 Project

Went to go look at it the other day guy wanted 600, no problems he said. Got there fired up in 3 kicks. He drove about a mile or two down the road to a place we could test drive it. I noticed he kept giving it gas to keep it running asked him if it would idle and it died. Couldnt get it started again he pushed it most of the way back and we trailed him in my car rest of way. He was shi*** got back there said we could have it for $400. Thought why not. It was dark also by the way.

Got it home, and clutch doesnt seem to engage and cant change gears easily. So its stuck in first I assume we pull the clutch and it will start to roll and lock up wheel or turn over the engine a little. Finally got it into nuetral and tried to start it for about half a day after cleaning carb and such. Got the bike up on son blocks and got back wheel off ground and fired up in about 3 kicks. Got it started a few times like this but while trying to adjust idle screw it would die. But was in gear tire spinning. Vibrating off the block lol. Little scary.

Decided I was going to take it for a spin see if I can get the clutch to work since engine was running put it back on the ground and couldnt start it to save our life's. So it seems to us it will only start with the pressure off the back wheel allowing it to spin freely.

I'm not a mechanic and havnt worked on anything like this before. So is it safe to assume the clutch is shot ? Any repair manuals I can download? Tips and how to's on clutches ? Can I drain oil and lay bike on side for this?

20140504_125156_zps1db9a3f2.jpg

Noticed this the next day. Was dark when we picked it up. I sent him this picture and he said was stater cover and didn't matter. Any truth in this ?

As far as the bike running no it shouldn't matter, but unless you want to get dirt in the flywheel and stator I wouldn't ride it around like that. Sounds like a good chance that the clutch is shot but I don't have too much experience with clutches on bikes. Hope you get it fixed!

clutch is toast, most likely plates and basket. There are lots of clymer and factory manuals on ebay cheap. I looked for some to download for mine and couldn't find any. As far as the hole in the cover goes I'd get that fixed or sealed up before riding it, having water and dirt in there will do a bunch of damage over time.

Thanks. And that would be great. Guy wants to trade me a 97 cr80 but I would love to get this going.

Going to get a clutch kit and check basket while im in there. Going to file it down at first im poor dont hate lol. See if i can even get the thing running and see what more needs to be done and decide if its even worth keeping.

Lol we're in the same boat. My son wanted to get into trail riding last yr. So I bought him and I a couple fixers. So he will ride and know about the mechanics involved, can't afford shop fees.

Is that an RM or an RMX?  from the extra guard on the crankcase looks like an RMX.  Post a few pics of the bike, I am going to rebuild one of these later this year.

cl-1556023997_zpstxuexyqz.jpg

Only picture I have of it. I can stop by my moms after work and take some more. That's where we ride at. Any specific areas to take pictures of ? And I already ordered a clutch kit if it is rmx its not going to work is it ?

I love work in kn things so I dont mind to work on it. I just dont have the money to dump in her. I usually buy stuff broken lol.

After doing some research I guess that since it has the headlight and tailight it is the rmx? Will the clutch kit be the same ...?

After doing some research I guess that since it has the headlight and tailight it is the rmx? Will the clutch kit be the same ...?

It should still be the same and it is an Rmx the stator cover was different on the rm

Thanks alot tractor man. Can anyone else confirm that this does work for the rmx ?