Sign in to follow this  

Rust spots on used camshaft

I bought a used camshaft from a 450r and it arrived today. I found it has small rust spots on the back side of the lobes and along the shaft. Before I start asking the seller for a refund, is there something I can do to remove/clean the rust off or is it a job for an engine shop?

IMG_06371.JPG

Edited by 2004 CRF250R

I'd send it back...that looks like some pitting is actually starting.

By the time a machine shop ground those out (and it's the ones on the cam lobes that are the worry), you'd be changing the profile of the lob quite a bit.

I don't have a lot of machining experience though, so someone else may offer a more informed opinion, but if it were me, I'd return it.  Lots of used X parts floating around.

Jim.

IMHO I would never put anything that looked like that in any of my bikes!

Hope you didn't pay too much for it and can get your $ back as brand new cams don't cost that much.

yea I was expecting some light surface rust, but that looks really bad. I'd send it back without a doubt. It looks like that thing has been sitting around outside for a year.

It actually looks alot worse than it is. I took it to a reputable engine builder and he said its perfectly fine and cleaned it off with some fine emery paper. Apparently it was only surface rust and it was limited to the back of the lobes which doesn't actually come into contact with anything. 

Does anyone know if the R and X cam share the same base circle or will I have to reshim when I put in the R cam?

It actually looks alot worse than it is. I took it to a reputable engine builder and he said its perfectly fine and cleaned it off with some fine emery paper. Apparently it was only surface rust and it was limited to the back of the lobes which doesn't actually come into contact with anything. 

Does anyone know if the R and X cam share the same base circle or will I have to reshim when I put in the R cam?

Technically they are the same, but you should still check.