Sign in to follow this  

Shorai battery Dead over winter! How i fixed it.

just figured i would post how i brought my dead shorai back to life.  

i attached my charger yesterday to find out the 1 year old battery was completely dead and would not accept a charge.  i was not happy to say the least!  so i did a little research and found that some people jump start there cell phone and laptop batteries in different ways to bring them back to life.   well i tried something similar and attached a fully charged car battery to my shorai with jumper cables and then connected my charger to the shorai and what do you know, it started charging again!  after 15 min i removed the car battery and the shorai continued to charge up! 

woke up this morning to a full battery!  Super Happy, though i have not tried to start the 462 motor yet.

Hope this helps some people for the new season!

• Like 2

i attached my charger yesterday to find out the 1 year old battery was completely dead and would not accept a charge. i was not happy to say the least! so i did a little research and found that some people jump start there cell phone and laptop batteries in different ways to bring them back to life. well i tried something similar and attached a fully charged car battery to my shorai with jumper cables and then connected my charger to the shorai and what do you know, it started charging again! after 15 min i removed the car battery and the shorai continued to charge up!

woke up this morning to a full battery! Super Happy, though i have not tried to start the 462 motor yet.

That is good news. Let us know if it starts and keeps a charge for a week or so.
  • Like 1

I have a Shorai also and would appreciate you keeping us posted as to results.

Thanks!

• Like 1

i attached my charger yesterday to find out the 1 year old battery was completely dead and would not accept a charge. i was not happy to say the least! so i did a little research and found that some people jump start there cell phone and laptop batteries in different ways to bring them back to life. well i tried something similar and attached a fully charged car battery to my shorai with jumper cables and then connected my charger to the shorai and what do you know, it started charging again! after 15 min i removed the car battery and the shorai continued to charge up!

woke up this morning to a full battery! Super Happy, though i have not tried to start the 462 motor yet.

So, how did it work? Does it hold a charge enough to start the bike after a week?

its been holding a charge, the battery sounds weaker, but i also have the stroker motor so its always been a bit weak.  seems to get better with riding.  i only ride on the weekends and haven't charged it yet.  i also don't think it would give 15 solid cranks before going dead, but my bike starts within 3 so...  i have started it 3 times within 5 min period with no issue.  although i do have my headlight off when starting it.

Thanks, keep us posted, will you?

As for me, I left my ign on(with headlight) for 15 min the other day and it was dead to the point it didn't even try to crank. Bump-started the bike and the battery was able to start the engine again after approx. 15 min riding time. Worked perfectly ever since.

I'm in the same boat.  I haven't ridden for several months and my one year old Shorai is dead.  I read ~3 volts on it.  I think I'll have to give this a try.  I have to admit to being worried though, most of these battery companies say that if it is below 6 volts it is considered not usable.  Damn that instrument cluster with its constant draw.  Maybe that's the excuse I need to go aftermarket. 

Edited by npm

I keep my battery on a tender over the winter, saves a bit of trouble.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice though,  will have to give this a try when my battery goes!

Is this a "Battery Tender" brand maintainer, the Shorai brand tender, or another brand?  If it's Battery Tender brand, is it their lithium charger or their standard lead-acid type charger?

Just an FYI, the situation that you encounter may be more about the battery charger......most chargers will not start charging a zero voltage battery....it is not uncommon that when you connect a charger to a totally dead battery that you have to give it a bump with jumpers to a good battery to get it started..

But that does mean that your battery was at 0 volts to start with

Edited by siscoken
  • Like 1

I agree with SISCOKEN - this is more related to the charger and not the battery. Almost all modern chargers needs to detect a voltage

on the battery before they will charge the battery (I'm assuming this is a safety feature). Hooking up another battery will show a 

voltage to the charger and it will start charging (Old Subaru alternators used to be the same - they needed some voltage to charge)

I have a really old charger which has no electronics - this charges anything that is connected to it - even a totally dead battery. The battery

may not hold a charge, but it will be charged. 

Gerry

• Like 1