Sign in to follow this  

This is What Happens

When you ride an XR650R for over 1000 miles without checking if it has oil. Loaned my bike to a friend for about a month and got it back with a loud clatter coming from the head. Last time I loan my bike to anybody.

IMG_20140503_180052.jpg

Was the top end the only thing that got damaged? What about the cam was it a stock cam?

Lots of younger know nothing hoodlums about these days. Some seem to think thrashing the hell out of things without doing any kind of

maintenance is normal. I know a few and none will ever get to ride my bike..Brains are fried from birth I believe.

Shouldn't really just pick on the young,,I should say,, "just know nothing hoodlums and bogans".,The age doesn't seem to matter.

Cam etc must be history,,Piston,,Bigends who knows..

Edited by Horri

Cam was stock and toasted also. I've yet to check deeper into the top end but won't be surprised to find more damage. Right now it's my only set of wheels till I get my truck fixed. Gotta pull the tranny to replace the clutch. Cam & lifters are allready replaced with good stock units off ebay. My friend just lost his job so has no money. I have noticed it seems to be going through oil awfull fast. About .5 quart every 500 miles or so. Probably time for a full top end anyway.

Man thats a bummer....I hope you get it sorted out. Let us know what you find out.

If the bike has stock 14/48 gearing and its plated it will be turning alot of rpms if used on the highway-meaning it will use oil even if the top end is solid.I rebuilt the top end on my xrr about 12000 miles ago and it uses .5 quart every 500 miles.I use it as a plated dual sport/adventure bike I have had better luck with 15/40 diesel truck oil than any kind of synthetic moto oil.Put the XR'S Only sight tube on it-you can check the oil while you ride it.You can have Megacycle or Web Camshafts weld the rockers and cam up to the Hrc cam specs.better than a Hotcam because you will not lose the auto-decompressor.If you have a cam welded/reground its best to have the same company reweld the rockers so the metallurgy is correct between the parts.When I did the top end on my bike(bought it used) I used a Hotcam #1 with new Honda rockers.You have to get the motor in just the right spot to kick it over-kind of a pain on a sidehill.