Sign in to follow this  

2012, Weird problem, need help.

Ok, this is a new one for us. Took the bike riding, everything was great.  Got home, tried to start it, only clicked, would not turn over. Tried to kickstart it, kickstarter was stuck, would not kick through. Put on my boot, gave it a good kick, and it finally went through, and the starter worked again. now it runs fine.  this has happened the last two times out.   Mods on this bike is all the normal things you do to make it run right, jetting and stuff, a 08 cam, full FMF pipe, and a oil cooler, that was just installed. We are racing this in the Baja 500, and need to fix whatever is wrong. Any help pointing us in the right direction to figure out, and fix, would be very welcomed. Thank you.

I think as a first step, I would pop the valve cover and check the decompression system is not stuck, or has a broken actuator pin (part that presses up on the exhaust rocker).

Move the weights in and out on the end of the cam.   You should see the pin extend / retract and it should do it smoothly.   Note that the pin should not be under the rocker when you do this.

Once that's checked, slowly turn over the engine and make sure the pin when it comes under the exhaust rocker causes it to open.

There was a recall in '09 on the pin and other parts.

If that all checks out, then something under the right cover, most likely a starter clutch.

Jim.