engine temp sensor?

What do yall recommend for a engine temp sensor? I hear the xr's only dipsticks leak.

I did not have a problem with my XR's Only dipstick leaking, but vibration killed it in less than 2 weeks.  This was on a completely stock and well running XRL, mind you.  Many folks are happy with them, however.  What I used for a while until I installed my Striker was a Trail Tech TTO temp sensor with display.  I mounted the display on the right side of my bars next to the master cylinder with the provided mount.  The temp sensor went up against the head with the banjo bolt for the oil line.  Worked like a charm and VERY accurate...

Condershire,,Bit of a question about those T/T temp sensors. I take it you purchased the one with the gauge and lead with the sparkplug

washer type fitting on the end.

When you say you need the extension lead how does that lead plug into the sensor or line. I'm looking at a few on Ebay and there seems to

be no connection point for an extension on the actual line that runs from the engine to the sensor. Does the extension plug directly into the actual

gauge or do you somehow need to cut the line and fit a new plug to take the extension..Thinking about one but need clarification on this extension bit.

Edited by Horri

Condershire,,Bit of a question about those T/T temp sensors. I take it you purchased the one with the gauge and lead with the sparkplug

When you say you need the extension lead how does that lead plug into the sensor or line. I'm looking at a few on Ebay and there seems to

be no connection point for an extension on the actual line that runs from the engine to the sensor. Does the extension plug directly into the actual

gauge or do you somehow need to cut the line and fit a new plug to take the extension..Thinking about one but need clarification on this extension bit.

Here is a shot of the display mounted:

post-345126-0-96738800-1395324935.jpg

I don't have a photo, but basically the sensor (you want the 10mm version, I've been begging them to make an 8mm sensor) has a two pin connector which plugs into another lead which comes out of the back of the display.  It MAY be possible to get by without an extension lead, but for me this was not the case...

The sensor looks like a standard ring terminal and you can put it before or after the oil line (up against the head).  I installed it on the end of the bolt, between the banjo bolt and the oil line.  The supplied instructions from Trail Tech recommend between the oil line and head, but getting it aligned with this setup was sometimes problematic.  I do not have a photo of this but you can probably get a mental picture if you imagine the "ring" portion of the sensor replacing one of the copper washers on the head banjo bolt.

I tried the XR's Only dipstick gauge, dead within two weeks...  I tried another one made in China I found on E-Bay, 20 degrees off actual temperature...  Installed the Trail Tech unit and wished I had gone that route in the first place.  Liked it so much, I replaced it with a Striker dashboard mounted in the same location as the TTO display (replaced)...

i got the trail tech vapor before it was available for the 650l so i got one for 650r. it had the temp sensor that has male threads for the included radiator hose tee. i instead cut the line going to the frame reservoir and put a tapped tee inline using two hose barb fittings and screwed the sensor into the side outlet of the tee. so the sensor catches oil temps coming out of the engine. i now also have an oil cooler in this circuit after the sensor, before entering the frame.

• Like 1

i got the trail tech vapor before it was available for the 650l so i got one for 650r. it had the temp sensor that has male threads for the included radiator hose tee. i instead cut the line going to the frame reservoir and put a tapped tee inline using two hose barb fittings and screwed the sensor into the side outlet of the tee. so the sensor catches oil temps coming out of the engine. i now also have an oil cooler in this circuit after the sensor, before entering the frame.

God, why did I not think of that?!?!?!  I would have to say that is probably the most reliable and foolproof methods of installing the sensor, you would not need the extension line either, which comes in at somewhere around $20 from Trail Tech, as I recall.

Question, the sensors I have seen are fairly long, obviously you had no issues installing.  Did you use the supplied sensor or aftermarket???

EDIT:  My mistake, obviously you are using the stock sensor.

Edited by condershire

OK,,Thanks to the pair of you..Condershire..I understand now thanks. Garthr,,good idea,,I did look at those ones with the radiator

hose type fitting and wondered about running it from the actual oil line by connecting it in there somewhere..Not sure whether I'll go with

either one yet but cheers for the information..most helpful it is.

Edited by Horri

I did not have a problem with my XR's Only dipstick leaking, but vibration killed it in less than 2 weeks.  This was on a completely stock and well running XRL, mind you.  Many folks are happy with them, however.  What I used for a while until I installed my Striker was a Trail Tech TTO temp sensor with display.  I mounted the display on the right side of my bars next to the master cylinder with the provided mount.  The temp sensor went up against the head with the banjo bolt for the oil line.  Worked like a charm and VERY accurate...

mine never leaked and lasted as long as i had bike....

you got it. it made sense, as the oil is the only coolant other than air. sensing the temp as hot uncooled oil comes from the scavenging pump seems to be quite responsive. oh yeah, credit for the tee idea goes to someone else here but i dont remember who. its been quite a while. i used brass fittings. the sensor was brass so everything is compatible. its next to the frame tank just at the front of the tank so i could keep an eye on it and the sensor lead was plenty long for that location.

God, why did I not think of that?!?!?!  I would have to say that is probably the most reliable and foolproof methods of installing the sensor, you would not need the extension line either, which comes in at somewhere around $20 from Trail Tech, as I recall.

Question, the sensors I have seen are fairly long, obviously you had no issues installing.  Did you use the supplied sensor or aftermarket???

EDIT:  My mistake, obviously you are using the stock sensor.

you got it. it made sense, as the oil is the only coolant other than air. sensing the temp as hot uncooled oil comes from the scavenging pump seems to be quite responsive. oh yeah, credit for the tee idea goes to someone else here but i dont remember who. its been quite a while. i used brass fittings. the sensor was brass so everything is compatible. its next to the frame tank just at the front of the tank so i could keep an eye on it and the sensor lead was plenty long for that location.

Just because I want to see it (the temp sensor)do you have any pictures you can post up?