Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota Theilman 5/17-18

I should be down there with my family and the Star Powersports crew from Friday through Sunday.

• Like 1

I'll be down for at least one day of the ride. 

It's a ride that no one should miss in my opinion. 

Not my favorite place, but everyone else is going to be there so what choice do I have.

Not my favorite place, but everyone else is going to be there so what choice do I have.

You know you want it.

Can't wait to get out and ride for a full weekend.  It will probably rain.

Who’s going?  Any suggestions for the weekend?  I’ve never been, planning on going down Fri evening to camp and spend Sat & Sun riding.  Will be meeting a friend there.  

http://www.goldeneaglesmc.org/trail_rides.htm

I forgot to mention, as you asked for suggestions for the weekend.........

I suggest that you have your AMA and your D23 memberships up to date.  You can do it at the event but registering goes a lot quicker if you have that paperwork done and with you at registration.

I forgot to mention, as you asked for suggestions for the weekend.........

I suggest that you have your AMA and your D23 memberships up to date.  You can do it at the event but registering goes a lot quicker if you have that paperwork done and with you at registration.

AMA memberships are not required, just D23.  I plan on showing up early Saturday and may stay Sunday.  I want to get my new bike dialed in.

I called Summit Lake Game Farm (Stone Lake) and the MX course is open but not the trails.  They still have snow.

AMA memberships are not required, just D23.  I plan on showing up early Saturday and may stay Sunday.  I want to get my new bike dialed in.

I called Summit Lake Game Farm (Stone Lake) and the MX course is open but not the trails.  They still have snow.

Unless you really like to challenge you riding ability I would wait until the trails dry up! Just saying.

Unless you really like to challenge you riding ability I would wait until the trails dry up! Just saying.

He's not letting anyone ride the trails yet.  The trails are still closed.

What the heck?  What don't you like about it?  I'm interested in hearing more...

I love riding there, but will likely not be there.  Never say never.  Have had tons of fun there over the years, will be the first one I missed since 2006.  So I almost have to show up and lead an old ladies ride or something if they have it. 

What the heck?  What don't you like about it?  I'm interested in hearing more...

I love riding there, but will likely not be there.  Never say never.  Have had tons of fun there over the years, will be the first one I missed since 2006.  So I almost have to show up and lead an old ladies ride or something if they have it. 

In Minnesota I like Paul Bunyan and Nemadji better.  It's a good place to ride, I just think there's a lot of hype surrounding it.   I get that it's only open twice a year, but I'm lucky to get to Nemadji or Paul Bunyan twice a year. :rant:

Just so you don't think I'm completely ragging on it.  I'll be there and for the first time I'll probably camp and ride both day, although MNKeith is predicting rain. :thumbsdn:

One place everyone seems to like there is the River bottoms.  I want to spend a lot of time there on my Gas Gas working on the handling.  My favorite places are the rocky hill climbs.

Nemadji is still under 20' of snow.  I'm looking forward to comparing our ECs, should be interesting.  Will have the WR with as well just in case.  I live by Murphy's law.

Anything in particular about camping at Theilman?  One spot on the grounds better than the other?  I'll probably get there late afternoon on Fri, will be too pumped to ride to spend all day at the office.  

The biggest thing is to get there early, Friday early evening should be fine. I usually head for the far side of the campground along the tree line. There's also a loop that goes back into the woods a bit more that's pretty nice.

I'm planning on going. Never been there but I guy from work is going and said I could hitch a ride with him. My other buddy wants me to go to Martineua with him the next day. I said sure but don't know if I can handle that much driving around.

Sorry its not your favorite place....but it is the one place that you can ride 40 miles of trail that is marked one way so you don't have to worry about head on collisions like Paul Bunyan and Nemadji. It is one of my favorite places to ride in Miinnesota with all the different terrain and also great weekend with the family and friends. See you there! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I second that sentiment, even though last year was my first time. While I also think the trails are a little over rated, there are so few good riding trails that it is hard to be picky. My big problem is that given it is closed except for twice a year, everyone shows up and some of the people there are less respectful and cautious than the fine folks on this website. In my two days riding there last year I had a few too many close calls with people riding recklessly, either on the relatively few two way trials, or by being rear-ended by the next Ryan Dungey. Also had a pretty bad experience with the trashy people who camped next to me (didn't even ride, showed up Saturday night to party all night long, then left Sunday morning).

I guess that is the problem with such a big organized trail ride, while it brings out some of the best people, it also attracts some of the worst. I might use that weekend to ride some other trails and have the place to myself (I might also give in to peer pressure and show up).

Yes, there can be some true asshats there. Like any place. For the record, I was trying to ride like Malcolm Stewart, not Dungey!

Along those lines, as has been discussed here with controversy, there can be lots of folks there that have no concept of moving over to let people by, and decrease congestion. I've spent many years riding with my kids, taught them right away just to move out of the way when they hear a bike behind them.

Go for the woods or the further reaches of the camp, and spread your stuff out a bit. Last year I set up my trailer way out of the way, came back and found 2 tents like 5 feet from my door - and the whole area around us was empty. It was a little weird.

Sorry its not your favorite place....but it is the one place that you can ride 40 miles of trail that is marked one way so you don't have to worry about head on collisions like Paul Bunyan and Nemadji. It is one of my favorite places to ride in Miinnesota with all the different terrain and also great weekend with the family and friends. See you there! :thumbsup:

Not my favorite place, doesn't mean I'm not totally psyched about the weekend.  It's always great to see everyone.  Way more great people then asshats. 

I have to share a memory that didn't include me, a dad prepping his 3 kids, wife, and himself to go riding.  I have a ton of respect for that guy.  Imagine keeping 5 bikes and gear all in shape and in riding condition, plus not really being able to ride at your pace all weekend.

I'm going to try to make it out.  Missed the last 2 years, need to get out there!

Not my favorite place, doesn't mean I'm not totally psyched about the weekend. It's always great to see everyone. Way more great people then asshats.

I have to share a memory that didn't include me, a dad prepping his 3 kids, wife, and himself to go riding. I have a ton of respect for that guy. Imagine keeping 5 bikes and gear all in shape and in riding condition, plus not really being able to ride at your pace all weekend.

That's what's been great for me about the place. My kids grew up riding there...many years there was tons of trail they couldn't do. I putted all weekend. They rode the crap out of the kids loops. Then we finally got across the bridge and took the easy stuff until a couple years back when both my son and daughter could ride the whole place. Now my son and I battle it out in the river bottoms and I'm starting to lose...it's awesome!

• Like 1