Sign in to follow this  

Is the KX100 Right for Me?

Howdy, I plan on buying my first dirtbike at the end of this month. I'm 15 years old, about 5'8", and weigh around 135lbs. My dad has convinced me that I would really like a two stroke, so im dead set on that now, and I'm looking to get a used KX100. I just want to make sure that this bike would be alright for me. As for riding experience, the only bike I've ever really rode much is my uncle's little Z50r, untill yesterday, when i rode my dads 1996 CR125 (As seen in my profile pic), and I LOVED it. It was awesome experiencing the big powerband hit for the first time. the size and weight of the CR125 weren't really that bad, so i imagine a kx100 would be perfect. I plan on riding around my grandparents property (Big fields), and trail riding. I know that 2 strokes generally dont have the low end torque needed for trails, but i've read that a bigger rear sprocket can fix that. I'll have no problem finding a good deal on one for sale near me, and im 99% sure this is what i want, just want to make sure. 

Edited by jcm3712

Why not get a 125? Your big enough to ride one and you're just going to outgrow (or already did, depending on opinion) a KX100 very soon anyways. Get a 125 and take it easy until you get used to it. 

Why not get a 125? Your big enough to ride one and you're just going to outgrow (or already did, depending on opinion) a KX100 very soon anyways. Get a 125 and take it easy until you get used to it. 

+1.  

I did consider this, but size is not the only factor. I have very little riding experience, and only rode my dads 125 for like 20 minutes, and never got above 2nd gear, it was also my first time using the clutch. Maybe if i ride his a little more in the next month and get the hang of it, i will change my mind, but right now it doesn't seem like the best bike to learn on. Thanks for the input!

After reading your reply and talking with my dad, I think i will get a 125. What brand would you recommend? I've read great things about yz125's, especially 2005 and newer because of their aluminum frames.

i have a better idea.  Tell your dad to start looking for a new bike for him....and the '96 CR125 becomes your new ride - with maybe some compensation back to your dad or a certain amount of chores/work being done.   He's gotta think outside the box and he can leverage this into selling your mom on why he needs to buy a new/used bike for him (honey.....it's for the kids!).

You are too tall for the KX100 (which will have similar power/weight ratio as the CR125).  It's basically the same deal as you riding the CR125...but is too small now and will continue to be too small as you add more height

i have a better idea. Tell your dad to start looking for a new bike for him....and the '96 CR125 becomes your new ride - with maybe some compensation back to your dad or a certain amount of chores/work being done. He's gotta think outside the box and he can leverage this into selling your mom on why he needs to buy a new/used bike for him (honey.....it's for the kids!).

You are too tall for the KX100 (which will have similar power/weight ratio as the CR125). It's basically the same deal as you riding the CR125...but is too small now and will continue to be too small as you add more height

Good point but, my dads bike is not in good shape. Its just a POS beater bike he bought from a friend for $500. Its practically falling apart, but he's ok with that. He likes having a bike he can just ride the hell out of, and not really care if it gets messed up. I dont want something like that. As far as convincing my mom to let him buy a new one, they are remodeling our kitchen right now, so she certainly wouldnt let him buy one before flooring, a kitchen table. etc... Also i am now looking for a 2005 and newer Yz125, and i wont have a problem affording one, caus i already have a job. Thanks for the ideas though!