Sign in to follow this  

14 300XC low idle

I have a 2014 KTM 300xc I bought brand new. Haven't had much time to ride it yet (1hr tops). Anyways, I noticed that the bike does not want to idle once it has been warmed up. The idle is set real low. Which screw do I turn to increase idle and do I turn it in or out? Sorry for the newb questions. I did look in the manual and I'm still not 100% clear on what to do.

20140504_145304_resized_zpsfc4348a3.jpg

The black plastic screw with the spring on it will change your idle. I believe turning it clockwise speeds the idle up but I can't really remember. You will have to play with it a bit. Don't worry you are not going to mess it up. Try a quarter to half turn at a time once it's warm and just fiddle with it till you get it right

Furthermore there's pretty much nothing else you can screw on the carb to tune/mess up anything. If youre intimidated don't worry, its fairly straight forward, get the bike warmed up, rev the motor a bit so it doesn't die and turn that screw a little and note the change it makes. Pay attention to how much you turn it, so if you don't like what you've just done simply reverse what you just did, youll find its really simple, easy, obvious.

Its actually a little ironic, when you buy a bike from the dealer they will set the bike to idle good when cold, so as to not have the customer freak out about poor idle, which at times could affect the idle when hot, which is more important BUT, the last thing the dealer wants in an upset customer worried about how the bike idles as soon as he turns it over...

Edited by redcouch1212

Tighten the black screw in quarter turns (or any small increment ) until the idle is where you like. If it's too high loosen it. On most carbs the idle screw just raises the slide.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Next step is to order the JD jetting kit to clean up the low/mid range.  :ride:

never been inside a carb before but I think I can figure it out.

Mmmm, to "clean up" anything I'd just adjust the fuel mixture screw. The jets in your carb ought to be perfectly fine, if they weren't you wouldn't be able to correct whatever issue you have by tuning. I mean practically speaking, elevation being you're only factor, you don't need to buy any fancy jets, but to each his own. If you think you need to rejet the carb then have at it, that is also fairly simple, the service work Im referring to of course the theory is more complicated.

And Im not trying to be a know it all carb expert from my keyboard, but I wouldn't be surprised if adjusting that air(idle) screw doesn't solve your problem as is. I mean, practically speaking, you would try to tune before thinking of rejetting...

Edited by redcouch1212

Are you coming off a fuel injected bike? I have been riding fuel injected bikes for the past couple years and it's pretty hard to get a carb to respond like a good tuned FI system. I would recommend you put a few hours on the bike with stock jetting and then make small adjustments from there. My 300 was pretty close to where it needed to be stock.

Mmmm, to "clean up" anything I'd just adjust the fuel mixture screw. The jets in your carb ought to be perfectly fine, if they weren't you wouldn't be able to correct whatever issue you have by tuning. I mean practically speaking, elevation being you're only factor, you don't need to buy any fancy jets, but to each his own. If you think you need to rejet the carb then have at it, that is also fairly simple, the service work Im referring to of course the theory is more complicated.

And Im not trying to be a know it all carb expert from my keyboard, but I wouldn't be surprised if adjusting that air(idle) screw doesn't solve your problem as is. I mean, practically speaking, you would try to tune before thinking of rejetting...

Yeah good point. I guess I just read that the JD jet kit is a MUST have on the forums. Something about the design of the needle being perfect and the fact that their chart makes the jetting spot on. I'll try what you mentioned first. Thanks!

Are you coming off a fuel injected bike? I have been riding fuel injected bikes for the past couple years and it's pretty hard to get a carb to respond like a good tuned FI system. I would recommend you put a few hours on the bike with stock jetting and then make small adjustments from there. My 300 was pretty close to where it needed to be stock.

I haven't been on a bike in 4 or 5 years. Last bike was an 05 YZ 250 and it just felt more crisp in the low to mid range. This bike seems too fat and sputters a bit. 

I would be surprised if you need a JD jetting kit. 

Figure out what you need to "clean up" - low end, mid range or top end.   At that point you can adjust your air screw for free and clip position for free and those two items will make a HUGE difference.  IF you need to buy a different jet for the top end or bottom end, they are about $5 each at your local shop.  Jetting is easy, just go one size leaner wherever you want and see if it made things better or worse. 

A good synthetic at 50:1 is a good start for making any bike run cleaner though.

thank you!

I just bought a leftover 2013 300XC. It was big time rich. Tried both of the factory needles for under 2,500' on every combination of needle clip settings and couldn't get the low/mid range right. Tried richer pilots too. Obviously I only changed one thing at a time. Just put the JD Kit in today, after putting 10 hours on the bike and it was almost perfect with the recommended starting point. Some minor fine tuning and it will be perfect. The jetting was so bad from the factory that I had buyers remorse. Didn't think I would ever get it right. Couldn't be happier now that I have the JD kit in it.

akaacz could you post up what Piolet, main and color needle your running?

akaacz could you post up what Piolet, main and color needle your running?

Actually, I gave up on the stock carb and bought a Lectron metering rod carb. Major improvement. Still not perfect but the more I learn about two strokes the more I realize it might just be me expecting it it run like a four stroke. Idk.

Stock jetting was terrible for me, bike was miserable.  I'm a size leaner on the pilot, main and went with the Suzuki NECW needle.  Pretty happy now, but it took a lot of work.  (2014 250xc).  IMO, the JD kit is a great way to go.  I put one in my YZ and loved it, changed the slide in that also.  

I put the JD kit in my 14 300 stock it ran like crap after the jet kit it's amazing I'm running the motorex 2t synthetic 60:1 like the book calls for and can't be happier!