2007 RM-Z 450 Cam Journals (WHERE TO BUY?)

Yo friends..

Long story short, bad mechanic = Completely cracked intake cam journal on my 07 RM-Z 450.  Just wonder if anyone know where the heck I can get another one.  Checked ebay and all the OEM online dealers and no dice.  Ebay has a 2008 journal for sale but not sure I can interchange between the 2 years.

Any and all advice would really help.  It seems the OEM dealers are forcing to buy the entire head assembly ($700).  

Thanks thumpers,

Doc_B

Have you check for 05-07 also Motosport usually has everything in stock

thanks customyz, but no dice.  Checked motosport and they only include the journals if you buy the entire head assembly ($$$).

Geesh what a pain.  I have called probably 20 + dealers/parts stores today and no one seems to sell just the journal.  Gonna just keep on grinding...till I find one.

Doc_B

thanks customyz, but no dice. Checked motosport and they only include the journals if you buy the entire head assembly ($$$).

Geesh what a pain. I have called probably 20 + dealers/parts stores today and no one seems to sell just the journal. Gonna just keep on grinding...till I find one.

Doc_B

Call some builders. The will know where to get them if they don't have any laying around themselves.

honda toledo east, cheapest OEM head in town (that I found), comes with guides, ready to bolt on.  I think I paid 570  its was even cheaper than what was listed on thier web site.

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.net/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Suzuki_Motor_of_America%2c_Inc/RM-Z450_%282007%29/CYLINDER_HEAD/022160005/56022160003

Too bad, I sold my old core, that was still pretty good for 50 bucks a few months ago.  I have some like new 06 cams $80.00

I'm pretty sure the journals and the head are a matched set.  At first I thought you ment the journals in the head, not the ones that bolt on to hold the cams in.  Man that's a bummer.  There has got to be a core lying around somewhere.  If you find one I would very carefully check that the holder lines up perfectly with the head.  bolt it on, oil it up and run your finger around the hole (journal) and make sure you don't have a big rib where the head meets the holder.  If you do, frankly I don't know what you would do.  Ps I find oiling up parts makes it so much easier to feel imperfections.

PS Why o Why do they alow a cam to spin in an aluminum journal???? Replacable bearings or just plain old fixed bearins on either side of the cam would be so much nicer.  Also who's the mechanic.  If its you, join the club on busted stuff and dumb mistakes.  Ive had my share.  Tore a case KX250, put it back together, found the drive shaft bearing on the bench.  Split the case again put it back, put it together, and found the bearing on the bench again &%$#@!!!!!.  It fell out through the clutch side hahahahah.  Impressive!

Edited by bikedad1

Has anyone repaired one of these heads? I've seen a lot fail in the same way. Poor lubrication I think. If I can find a supplier for a split bearing, similar to a typical automotive rod/crank bearing arrangement, I will bore the head and cap and give it a try.  

Is is cracked in the bridge area between the two cam journals?  If so you can just torque it down and have someone that is good with a TIG welder weld it up for you.  Make sure the cam is in there and everything is torqued properly.  Basically you want to take the valves out, assembly lube the journals, install the cams, torque it down, make sure you can spin the cam freely without any issues like snags, then have it welded very carefully so it doesn't distort.