Sign in to follow this  

Picked up an XR200 project bike

Lately I've been on a kick of buying "project bikes" that never end up leaving my shop once I get my hands on them :D but this weekend I picked up one I do intend to fix up and re-sell.  This week's victim is a 96 XR200, looked to be in overall good condition with the exception of the hemmorhaging fork seals and very bald rear tire.  The seller said it had been sitting, it was running 2 days prior and now won't start.  I was putting my chips on a gummed up carb so I took a chance and threw down the cash.

20140503_155129_zps9b4ef7ec.jpg

Got to fiddling with it yesterday, pulled and cleaned the carb and still no start.  Check the air filter, it's a bit dirty but not enough to choke out the motor.  Spark plug boot was barely hanging on to the wire, so clipped a bit off the wire and reattached the boot, still no love.  Spark seemed kind of weak, so I pulled the coil off my wife's 91 XR2 and tried that... still nothing, not even a pop.  I decided to dig deeper and pulled the magneto cover off.  There was a TON of visible slack in the cam chain... ruh roh raggy.  I went ahead and pulled the flywheel and the ignition parts off the head:

20140504_165021_zpsoreqetar.jpg

It's just "slightly" out of time :D  The T on the flywheel was lined up with the mark on the case right before I popped the flywheel off and took this photo.  Long story short, time for a new cam chain for this old girl.  Now onto my questions, the compression felt good (I don't have a low PSI compression tester to verify) and I'll probably go ahead and remove the motor and pull the head just to get a look inside, but does anyone know if these are interference motors?  Hopefully the valves and other internals are still in good shape and I can get this one back to life without having to go full-out on a motor rebuild.  Does anyone know of any reliable aftermarket cam chains, or is OEM the best option?

I would make sure the cam chain adjuster is working and see how it runs.

You can get an OEM cam chain cheap on fleabay.

If the PO let the air filter go you'll prolly have to drop a few hundred to get the thing running right.

So much for a quick and easy cam chain swap and done:

20140505_172557_zpsaha9sbuz.jpg

20140505_172643_zpsjscih8xe.jpg

20140505_172719_zpsdygoah9w.jpg

20140505_172752_zps6kuq2qiu.jpg

Piston looks good, but no idea what scratched it in the middle...

20140505_173625_zpskrwgsqtt.jpg

Exhaust valve

20140505_173820_zpsd80rdazp.jpg

20140505_175051_zps56fws7uy.jpg

Intake valve looking a bit beat up

20140505_175131_zpsd0oo4blm.jpg

I'm hoping I can find a nice used head to put on and maybe freshen up the top end since it's apart anyway.  This quick flip project just got way more involved but hopefully the end product will be a solid bike for the buyer.

I've read some that lack of cleaning of the centrifugal oil filter can lead to lack of oiling in the top end, but would that account for the wear on the cam lobes?  There is a thin ridge on one side of each lobe like the lobes have been ground down.

Lack of oil, dirty oil, and possibly even incorrect oil as well, in that order cause this type of damage.  Very normal due to the way these engines are cared for by their owners. 

Centrifugal filters don't clog causing this damage...............this kind of damage it what clogs centrifugal filters!  By the time the centrifugal filter would actually become clogged..............that's the least of your problems! :excuseme:    I've yet to see one of these filters clog to the point where they have starved a engine for oil.  Only time you need to service this filter is when the engine is apart, or when there has been major contamination ........... which will probably have required engine tear down.  Or when you buy a machine and want to see how it's life has gone so far.  Lots of smoke gets blown about these centrifugal filters...........! ;)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Good info Old School Al, thanks!

Just ordered up a very good condition used cylinder, piston, complete head, cam, and oil pump off of Ebay and new fork seals, oil, top end gasket kit and a manual from Rocky Mountain.  I'm going to give this thing a good cleaning and spit shine, it should be a solid little bike when it's completed.

Any thoughts on whether the cases will need to be split and bearings replaced due to top end damage?  I'm trying to keep costs low but don't want to half-ass a rebuild and have it go south later down the road.

Your putting in used parts so it's already a half-ass rebuild.

Throw it together and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it somewhat depend on the condition of the used parts................?   Honestly, I've seen some pretty questionable new parts at times. :excuseme:

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

All bikes run on used parts :devil:

Every time I obama-rig a motorcycle together I'm sorry afterwards.

• Like 1

I'm not planning on afro-engineering anything on this bike.  But I really don't see what the issue is with installing gently used OEM parts that meet all the specs.

The new(er) top end parts will be here today so I'll be able to check them out and make sure they are good to go.  Gasket kit and manual show up tomorrow, then I'll have the info I need to inspect the lower end.

Looks like Eddy Curr's not the only one on here with a sense of humor today..................! ;)

Old School Al

Yea, i had a 02 xr 200 and i never changed the cam chain. The hain stretched and eventually jumped a few teeth on the cam sproket and my intake vave hit the piston. I hated that motor. I dont like the cdi in front of the cam. Its a pain in the butt to do top end work

There is no problem with using hsed parts for a rebuild. They dont make dirt bike parts like they make car parts, you cant just go to autozone and get brand new parts. You can mabey find some NOS parts for this bike but it will cost an arm and a leg. They dont mass produce cheap excess parts for dirt bikes like they do cars and lawnmowers, you have to hunt for good used parts.

OK you convinced me.

Putting in "used parts" is a good idea.

Video the bike in action if and when it ever starts.

OK you convinced me.

Putting in "used parts" is a good idea.

Video the bike in action if and when it ever starts.

I can get some GoPro footage for you :ride:

If it does start at least you'll kill all the mosquitos around the garage so it won't be a total loss.

So Beezer to b clear and so the rest of us can understand

What exactly does"Obama rig" mean..