About to buy a CRF250L. Questions and Concerns..

Hey Guys,

I'm new to motorcycling as well as this forum. Glad to be here. 

I am attending a BRC this coming weekend and plan to purchase a CRF250L in the next month.

My concerns:

-Is their a dual sport bike out there that can beat this bike for the price?

Questions:

-As I progress as a rider and gain skill and confidence, what are (in your opinion) the top 3 after market parts that will give me more power?

-How much more power could I obtain out of the bike for an additional $1000 bucks in parts?

Thanks for your help guys!

For the price, I don't think this bike can be beat. If price was not a factor, I think the wr250r is a better bike. Although a modded crf250L will be right up there with the wr250r.

As far as mods for power go, I would say:

1) full exhuast system with fuel controller and airbox mods

2) change the gearing

3) big bore kit

• Like 1

The CRF is perfect for beginners, intermediates and expert riders ?

I fitted an FMF PC4/EJK and DNA air filter and felt no major power gains, I don't think a Megabomb would have made much difference.

I've not changed the suspension however I feel that upgrading the front spring/rear shock will make dual sporting much more enjoyable that the extra 2-3HP a stage 1 would provide. Changing the sprockets/chain will make a noticeable difference for a fraction of the price of a stage 1 kit.

my 2 lira ?

The cheapest, easiest mod you can do, in my humble opinion, is to change the front sprocket to a 13 tooth.  The bike as standard is way over geared.  The first time you ride after that, you will notice the difference.

Theres nothing else out there that will touch this bike for the $5000 price tag.  6 speed, fuel injected, water cooled, lower seat height, road going engine that will go forever with very little maintenance, and the list goes on.  The closes bike is the Kawasaki and it costs a little more but is still carburated!!!

Power mods are really a personal thing that depends on what you want and your budget.

• Like 2

^^

The 6-speed is one of the major reasons I stick with Honda. I ride on the road more than off-road, that sixth gear is super helpful. I looked into the DRZ-400S as well but it was only a 5-speed and I really don't want the engine constantly revved up for longer trips.

It is a bit weak in 6th gear but so far I haven't had any difficulty except for once or twice when I had a massive (25+ mph) headwind.

• Like 1

^^

It is a bit weak in 6th gear but so far I haven't had any difficulty except for once or twice when I had a massive (25+ mph) headwind.

13 tooth front sprocket helps this a lot and is an easy install--some will say with the 42 tooth rear sprocket helps also but i have not done this yet-- :ride: :ride:

Just get a big bore right up, it will save you sending the ejk controller back for reprogramming, and is the one mod that makes a big difference to the power and torque of the bike.

I am very pleased with the 305 power and really is not very expensive either.

• Like 2

the crf250l is a great choice! I once owned a wr250r and i like the crf 100 times more! You can have fun for years on a stock bike if you enjoy it for what it is. I have a plated xr650r that the dyno sais had 60 hp and even then i still love riding the crf250l! 

The CRF is a great little bike in my opinion.I knew it wasn't a powerhouse when I bought so I wasn't disappointed.Love having a 6th gear like my other bike.I tried to shift my DRZ into 6th every time I rode it.Someone else is trying to shift it into 6th right now,I can feel it. :goofy:

Sometimes, if road/wind noise is low and I can actually hear my engine, I find myself searching for 7th gear.?

Edited by mott555
  • Like 2

Man im trying to find 7th gear every single time I ride my bike!  Even with stock sprockets, I still keep trying to find that 7th gear.  But you know, if there was a 7th gear.... then id just be trying to find 8th gear, hahaha!

I could dig an 8-speed dirt bike. That should be enough to satisfy both rock crawlers and interstate travelers.

• Like 1

I could dig an 8-speed dirt bike. That should be enough to satisfy both rock crawlers and interstate travelers.

I want a dual range transmission like my TC185 had...  They were cool.   2 stroke, 5 x 2 trans, electric and kick start.  I had a dual range Honda CB900C that was nice too.

Tc185.jpg

A dual range transmission would make the ultimate dual sport!  Even a slightly wider spaced 6 speed would be nice.  7 or 8 speed would also be sweet and still keep somewhat close gear spacing.

I like the stock gearing on the road, and with stage 1 mods 6th gear feels just about right for this bike to me.  But the problem is the stock gearing is way to high for offroad work and you have to lug it in 1st gear in anything more technical than a dirt road hahaha.  I actually put my 14t back on the front for spring riding on the prairie.  Once summer is here and the mountain has melted off Ill probably put my 13t back on for the more technical mountain trails.  But for riding down off the mountain I like the 14t much better because I can run down the road faster without having to wind the motor up so high.

• Like 2

thats kind of what i did... i put the 14t back on for the last 2000 miles of last season...  it was wetter, fallen leaves, and the wind was kicking...  so i figured i would slow it down a little and stay off the pipe a little more...  5th with the 14t is the same as 6th with the 13t...  (by my butt tach of course) 

i just wasnt completely happy with the 14t...  i cant get it out of my head that i could be going faster and have gotten there quicker if i had the 13t on....  i'm OCD like that.. hahaha  i did put the 13t back on for spring...  but i am in jersey...  weather wise we are different, i am sure...  

i am getting the TT tach and temp gauge...  i feel like i need to with me running 70mph+ constantly in temps up to 105* during the summer...  maybe not need to, but i want them... i want to know... i hate not knowing something. especially if i go, "hey, i wonder how hot the motor is?"  its all over... i wont stop thinking about it...  hahahaha

• Like 2