Too big for ttr 225?

Hello everyone!

I am a new rider and looking for my very first bike. I have NO IDEA what I am looking for. I am 6' 2" and weigh about 230 lbs. Will do lots of Field riding and trails. A friend of mine offered to see me his TTR 225, and from what I have read they don't seem to be the best. please let me know what you think

Thanks!

I would just hop right on to a 250 four stroke or bigger, full sized mx bike.... The ttr-225's are just little family trail bikes. An xr400 might be a good one to consider?

How much do you want to spend ?

I am looking to spend under $2000

I say give it a shot. They're defiantly not the most powerful but they're tough as nails and if you don't expect a race machine, you should be fine. 

The TTR will go just about anywhere you want it to go. But...like someone else already mentioned, you'd probably be happier on an XR400. How much is your friend offering to sell the TTR for?

He said maybe around 1500$ is that an alright price?

The TTR will go just about anywhere you want it to go. But...like someone else already mentioned, you'd probably be happier on an XR400. How much is your friend offering to sell the TTR for?

He said maybe around 1500$, is that an alright plrice?

How much do you want to spend ?

hoping under 2000

I'd go look it over and if everything is good on it, I'd bring it home. An XR400 does have more power but if it's your first bike I doubt that will mean a whole lot. 

I'd go look it over and if everything is good on it, I'd bring it home. An XR400 does have more power but if it's your first bike I doubt that will mean a whole lot. 

Thanks for your advice! Do you think it will fit me ok? are all bikes kind of the same height?

Thanks for your advice! Do you think it will fit me ok? are all bikes kind of the same height?

I'm 6'2, 240. My first bike was a TTR230. A good, dependable bike, but sits much shorter than a full blown race bike. I was also bored to death within a month. It will be a good first bike, and that seems like a good price if it is in good condition, but if you are aggressive at all, it will bore you quickly. I agree with raging-bunny that you would probably be happier for longer on a 250 four stroke. At your height and weight, then suspension difference alone is worth it. That being said, if all you want to do is cruise, then the TTR will be fine, although cramped. If you buy it with the intention of upgrading later, they also hold their value pretty well

I'm 6'2, 240. My first bike was a TTR230. A good, dependable bike, but sits much shorter than a full blown race bike. I was also bored to death within a month. It will be a good first bike, and that seems like a good price if it is in good condition, but if you are aggressive at all, it will bore you quickly. I agree with raging-bunny that you would probably be happier for longer on a 250 four stroke. At your height and weight, then suspension difference alone is worth it. That being said, if all you want to do is cruise, then the TTR will be fine, although cramped. If you buy it with the intention of upgrading later, they also hold their value pretty well

^^^ What he said.

But I still vote for the XR400....of course I am partial to that bike. :cool: