NO SPARK !

i was driving my bike and all of a sudden the bike just died out and when it happened the first thing that came to my head was the sparkplug is gone but i got a new one and checked if it was sparking but the new one wouldnt spark either so i checked that all the wires for the kill switch were connected and they were so i have no idea what went wrong could anyone help me?? please??

Use the following table to check:

Old bikes usually have a long coil.

It is more than likely a loose/bad connection somewhere.

2 STROKE IGNITION CHECK

WIRE MEASURE UNIT TOL. NOTE

STATOR R/W-B/R 28.00 Ohm 1%  

PICKUP G-R 100.00 Ohm 1.50%  

LONG COIL          

IGN COIL PRIMARY GND-TERM 0.50 Ohm 0.50%  

IGN COIL SECONDARY GND-OUT 13.00 KOhm 1% PLUG LEAD REMOVED

SPARK PLUG CAP IN-OUT 5.00 KOhm 10% INCLUDING LEAD

SHORT COIL  

IGN COIL SECONDARY GND-OUT 6.00 KOhm 1% PLUG LEAD REMOVED

CRANKING VOLTAGE R/W-B/R 10 TO 13 VAC   HAND CRANK NO COMPRESSION

Edited by bproofrsa

what do you mean by they have a long coil

what do you mean by they have a long coil

Compared to later models, the coils is longer.Bigger in size.

My 02 125 was doing the same, I replaced the spark plug cap and it fired up and ran perfect

Use the following table to check:

Old bikes usually have a long coil.

It is more than likely a loose/bad connection somewhere.

2 STROKE IGNITION CHECK

WIRE MEASURE UNIT TOL. NOTE

STATOR R/W-B/R 28.00 Ohm 1%  

PICKUP G-R 100.00 Ohm 1.50%  

LONG COIL          

IGN COIL SECONDARY GND-OUT 13.00 KOhm 1% PLUG LEAD REMOVED

SHORT COIL  

IGN COIL SECONDARY GND-OUT 6.00 KOhm 1% PLUG LEAD REMOVED

CRANKING VOLTAGE R/W-B/R 10 TO 13 VAC   HAND CRANK NO COMPRESSION

Thank you so much for posting this information!  I tried to start my 2012 TM300 this afternoon after sitting for four months after I injured my right knee.  No spark.  I ran through all of the tests in your message and found everything within specifications.  I've checked all connections so should I assume the ignition control module is bad?

Thank you so much for posting this information!  I tried to start my 2012 TM300 this afternoon after sitting for four months after I injured my right knee.  No spark.  I ran through all of the tests in your message and found everything within specifications.  I've checked all connections so should I assume the ignition control module is bad?

Don't jump to that conclusion just yet. The multipin plug connector to the CDI module is known to give problems.

It is difficult to test, but I use a 0.5mm round test wire and check that this wire sits snug in each point. Clean the pins sticking out the module with contact cleaner and check again.

Did all that and it all checks out.  Still no spark.  The module pins are all straight and clean.  Thanks again for all your help!

Took a whole 3 days to get a new ignition module thanks to my dealer: Motoxotica!.  Plugged it in and got spark right away.  The module is a Japanese Kokusan and is not only used on many Japanese bikes but also by KTM.   I think what happened is that on the TM it is mounted inside the airbox.  I generally remove the seat and filter when I wash the bike.  I use a filter cover and clean all the spooge out of the airbox.  I think some water got into the connector and caused the failure.  I will do some more sealing which should prevent this problem in the future.

Glad you got sorted.