Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a '96 KDX200

Last week I finally picked up my first real trail bike. I had a dual sport Dr200 that I've taken on trails and I ride a Honda Shadow but I'm still pretty green when it comes to offroad. I have a buddy who is a lot more of a mechanic than I am to help me out but I'm missing some parts like a case saver that I can't seem to find without buying aftermarket. This is to be a cheap bike to get me going before I start to put any real money into it or buy something else. I don't want to put up a list of parts that I need unless that's OK here but things like a side number plate and the plastic fins for the radiators. Outside of shamelessly asking about parts, any input on the bike? Another friend wants to sell me his KLX300 forks this fall when he swaps to KX500 forks though from what I've read, I kind of want to do KX250 or KX500 forks on mine. I probably won't be doing MX though I do prefer open dirt to tight trails so I may wander down to an MX track and play around as I get more comfortable on it. Anyone happen to have a set of fork springs for the KDX200 forks? .40 or .42 ish?

My KDX200.jpg

Edited by JakeKDX200

Bike looks gently used. I say that because the paint isn't missing off the frame, unless it was re-powder coated. Plus the cover.  Looks like you need a new exhaust o-ring.

Cool bike man. You can make your own build thread here. A few people including myself have. 

Thanks.. It needs more than I was hoping and I probably overpaid for it at $950 but I have a group of friends going on a riding trip soon and I needed to get something and get going. I'm looking at $250 in parts to get it right. That doesn't include anything like new plastics or a new seat cover or the fork swap. To do the bike like I want I'd end up with around $1700 in it and I could have probably found a newer, nicer one done for a bit less than that.

Last week I finally picked up my first real trail bike. I had a dual sport Dr200 that I've taken on trails and I ride a Honda Shadow but I'm still pretty green when it comes to offroad. I have a buddy who is a lot more of a mechanic than I am to help me out but I'm missing some parts like a case saver that I can't seem to find without buying aftermarket. This is to be a cheap bike to get me going before I start to put any real money into it or buy something else. I don't want to put up a list of parts that I need unless that's OK here but things like a side number plate and the plastic fins for the radiators. Outside of shamelessly asking about parts, any input on the bike? Another friend wants to sell me his KLX300 forks this fall when he swaps to KX500 forks though from what I've read, I kind of want to do KX250 or KX500 forks on mine. I probably won't be doing MX though I do prefer open dirt to tight trails so I may wander down to an MX track and play around as I get more comfortable on it. Anyone happen to have a set of fork springs for the KDX200 forks? .40 or .42 ish?

Check out my post in the Jetting thread. Ive proven you can use early 90s vintage XR600 springs as a viable cheap upgrade.  Theres a database of crossover springs from other XRs adn DRs over at teh KDX rider dot net.

Bike looks gently used. I say that because the paint isn't missing off the frame, unless it was re-powder coated. Plus the cover.  Looks like you need a new exhaust o-ring.

Cool bike man. You can make your own build thread here. A few people including myself have.

I disagree. The frame is touched up, front brake line routed wrong and roached, bars poking thru grips,wheres the kickstand (are the bolts broken off in the swingarm?) rusty pipe, leaky fork seal,faded mx plastic. Yeah, you overpaid, but at least you have a kdx now. Now get to work making her a trailworthy kdx again! Edited by ickfinger

He'll be riding his in a couple weeks. We're going through it front to back. Too bad it's not purple!

Btw the way the kx forks are better but you don't have to buy my klx forks. The klx forks are the same that came in the kdx250. They don't have rebound adjustment just dampening. That's why I'm switching to kx forks myself.

Let's get this thing rocking then go from there.

Edited by hadfield4wd

I disagree. The frame is touched up, front brake line routed wrong and roached, bars poking thru grips,wheres the kickstand (are the bolts broken off in the swingarm?) rusty pipe, leaky fork seal,faded mx plastic. Yeah, you overpaid, but at least you have a kdx now. Now get to work making her a trailworthy kdx again!

Kickstand bolts aren't broken. Stand was removed at some point and the holes were filled with caulk. Rusty pipe is easy to clean up, plastics are getting replaced at some point anyway. I have a brake line for it. Not sure where the issue is with the bars/grips? The PO just pulled the hand guards off to keep for another bike.. It's an 18 year old dirt bike.. After going through it, I'll have a bit of money in it but I'll know it's right and even if I bought a nicer one, I still would've had to put a few hundred in it just the same.

• Like 1

Progress is being made.. Need to order some bolts that I didn't expect to need and the clutch cable from Motion Pro is too short but it should be ready to ride very soon..

20140506_200845.jpg

20140512_171611.jpg

20140515_220759.jpg

Really? any tips? I do have a mity vac vacuum pump if it comes down to it..

Grab Gabe's mountain bike brake bleeder. Yeah they suck to do. Tips would be nice.

Btw your clutch lever sucks. I have one with a quick adjust on it. It's already on the bike.

Grab Gabe's mountain bike brake bleeder. Yeah they suck to do. Tips would be nice.

Btw your clutch lever sucks. I have one with a quick adjust on it. It's already on the bike.

Nice.. that lever does suck and I'll gladly take your hand me downs..

Aren't these bikes supposed to have a headlight?

Just curious.

I think they all probably had one but I've seen a bunch without a headlight. Ultimately mine will probably wind up getting one but I can wait a bit on it..

I think Gabe had a white one that came off his Ktm. Maybe we can steal it. No promises to have it hooked up this weekend though.

If I bought a 96 KDX in that condition, I would spend my money on getting it right with levers cables grips new air filter...

Id go through the linkage and clean and grease everything.Maybe a piston if it could use it. While it was apart I'd have the shock oil changed and get heavier springs for the front. USD forks look cool, but to me KDX forks aren't the worst thing ever when they are set up right. Even if I were to race hare scrambles I would have to have extra time and money I didn't know what to do with before I changed the front end. That's for me and my opinion. A lot of people swapped to USD forks and feel it was worth the effort.

If I bought a 96 KDX in that condition, I would spend my money on getting it right with levers cables grips new air filter...

Id go through the linkage and clean and grease everything.Maybe a piston if it could use it. While it was apart I'd have the shock oil changed and get heavier springs for the front. USD forks look cool, but to me KDX forks aren't the worst thing ever when they are set up right. Even if I were to race hare scrambles I would have to have extra time and money I didn't know what to do with before I changed the front end. That's for me and my opinion. A lot of people swapped to USD forks and feel it was worth the effort.

Exaclty what we are doing.  And his USD forks are practically free.

Wheel bearings - done

shock pivot bushing - done

heavier shoch spring - done

fork seals - done

exhaust - orings

Clean inside of air box - done

New filter - done

rear brake pads - done

clutch cable - done

sprocket - done

clean and lube chain - done

case saver - done