Sign in to follow this  

Yz 250 or yz250f?

I want to get a yz but don't know which is better I have a 04 crf 250f and I keep maintained and always babied but I am a Yamaha guy. I rode a yz 250f recently and liked the power and rpms a little better but I like the yz 250 smokers too. I also like the idea the 2 smoker is lighter and all but I'm tight in bikes I race I have to have the title and it needs to be taken care of I was just wondering which should I choose and what would be easier to find with a clean title and being a nice bike. Please nobody come on here and do battle of brands I'm just wanting advice no other brand suggestion will change my mind. thanks to the good advice given..

I want to get a yz but don't know which is better I have a 04 crf 250f and I keep maintained and always babied but I am a Yamaha guy. I rode a yz 250f recently and liked the power and rpms a little better but I like the yz 250 smokers too. I also like the idea the 2 smoker is lighter and all but I'm tight in bikes I race I have to have the title and it needs to be taken care of I was just wondering which should I choose and what would be easier to find with a clean title and being a nice bike. Please nobody come on here and do battle of brands I'm just wanting advice no other brand suggestion will change my mind. thanks to the good advice given..

I'm not sure what i just read here. What years of yz250 and yz250f are you looking for? they yz250f will be pretty similiar to your crf so if you want something different the yz250 is up your alley. More power just learn to control it and you can definitely win titles

Well my take would be, the newer the bike, the more likely they will have a title for it. The older the bike, the more likely that the vast world wont have a title for it. You have to realize they are two different classes when you race. A YZ will probably be cheaper than a YZF. But this is all very relative to the year you are looking at and the condition. Just look around.

No, they race in the same class in amateur MX. ^^

I was in a similar situation recently and bought the 2 stroke over a 14 YZ250F (or 450). The 2 stroke was a bit less money, and is easier for me to maintain myself at a lower cost. Plus I just really enjoy riding a 250 2 stroke around, especially when the track is well groomed and nice. When the tracks are rough and muddy I sometimes wish for a 4 stroke though.

If you are buying used, I would say you will have a better chance getting a good 2 stroke that won't cost a fortune to maintain. The used market for YZ250's can be a bit on the expensive side compared to other similar year 2 strokes in my experience. I was looking for a clean used one but just decided to go new instead.

A 2-stroke is lighter, cheaper to maintain and make more power per CC.

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200

If I want torque I may get a 250f but I'm pretty fast in turns so I shouldn't need too much torque

I also like the idea the 2 smoker is lighter ...

OK, but mostly, it's not.  In fact, the 2005 model YZ250F (with a steel frame) was a pound lighter than the aluminum framed YZ250 the same year. 

It's also true that the YZ250 has more low/mid range power (and more power overall).  The YZ250F lives on revs, not torque.

• Like 1

2 stroke for sure. I'm now on a 4T 500 but for the woods and HS a smoker can't be beat. 125-300 2T depending on your weight and skill level will out run a 250F. My .02