Elbow guards and arm pump

So Ive been struggling with elbow guards and finding a pair that fits without constricting blood to my forearms and hands. Just bought a new pair of 14' fox titans and my last two races I had severe arm pump. Felt like needles stabbing my elbows and had no energy in my hands/forearms. I have large forearms and bicep/triceps as I frequent the gym regularly. Does anyone have a similar situation or am I SOL and should avoid elbow guards altogether??

I have had the same problem with the fox titan gaurds. They are just to tight and I have never completed a ride with them. I interested to hear of a better option

So Ive been struggling with elbow guards and finding a pair that fits without constricting blood to my forearms and hands. Just bought a new pair of 14' fox titans and my last two races I had severe arm pump. Felt like needles stabbing my elbows and had no energy in my hands/forearms. I have large forearms and bicep/triceps as I frequent the gym regularly. Does anyone have a similar situation or am I SOL and should avoid elbow guards altogether??

i can tell you... when you lift.. DO NOT lift heavy... that is a massive killer to the arms. do not lift any heavier then a low weight you can lift 20 reps minimum of.

you would think you need bulk but you dont.

develop the inner leg/knee strength and hold onto your bike that way. you arms are not ment to be your main grip to the bike.

all you do is hold the handlebars to guide you and correct the bike. again you do not lift heavy. high rep low weight is sufficient.

i hear this all to often, and you will do so much better if you take that advice. you do not need strength more then endurance when it comes to "Handle bars" Not "hold on bars"

with that said, look for an elbow gaurd that has the elastic or even wrap cuff. if the elastic make sure it has the locking plastic pieces that way your elastic band only is an adjustment.

you can look into various other types of elbow gaurds that are not even specifically ment for Mx that are the full cotton type wrap. those to me are the best.

i hear this all to often, and you will do so much better if you take that advice. you do not need strength more then endurance when it comes to "Handle bars" Not "hold on bars"

i don't use elbow pads. But I will say I get arm pump, when I strangle the grips.

Usually later in the ride, I get tired and start hanging on instead of guiding.

I have to remind myself to relax. Grip with knees.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

i don't use elbow pads. But I will say I get arm pump, when I strangle the grips.

Usually later in the ride, I get tired and start hanging on instead of guiding.

I have to remind myself to relax. Grip with knees.

I think everyone has that problem at some point I do too.

Especially when my legs get tired or i wanna sit back on the bike.

I am definitely gonna get another set of knee pads and hopefully that will help with a bit wider grip to my legs.

Arm pump is a killer.

I do know the product hemoflow works great and personally I'm going to give it a shot. Seen it work on guys that get serious pump.

I think everyone has that problem at some point I do too.

Especially when my legs get tired or i wanna sit back on the bike.

I am definitely gonna get another set of knee pads and hopefully that will help with a bit wider grip to my legs.

Arm pump is a killer.

I do know the product hemoflow works great and personally I'm going to give it a shot. Seen it work on guys that get serious pump.

What excatly is hemoflow and where can I find it?

i can tell you... when you lift.. DO NOT lift heavy... that is a massive killer to the arms. do not lift any heavier then a low weight you can lift 20 reps minimum of.

you would think you need bulk but you dont.

develop the inner leg/knee strength and hold onto your bike that way. you arms are not ment to be your main grip to the bike.

all you do is hold the handlebars to guide you and correct the bike. again you do not lift heavy. high rep low weight is sufficient.

Im at a disadvange of having very large, vascular forearms. Ive practiced/instructed Pekiti-Tirsia Kali for over 10yrs (filipino stick/knife fighting) and have become very condtitioned to griping sticks tightly. Maybe thats the problem. I need to train myself to relax a bit more and not have a death grip on the bike. That being said, any elbow guard that has a sleeve immediatley tourniques my arms. :banghead:

Im at a disadvange of having very large, vascular forearms. Ive practiced/instructed Pekiti-Tirsia Kali for over 10yrs (filipino stick/knife fighting) and have become very condtitioned to griping sticks tightly. Maybe thats the problem. I need to train myself to relax a bit more and not have a death grip on the bike. That being said, any elbow guard that has a sleeve immediatley tourniques my arms. :banghead:

if your gonna death grip do it with your knees!

maybe elbow gaurds are not for you?

they are good but seem to be doing you bad. unless you find a loose fitting but well sitting gaurd.

you will figure out how to relax with more and more seat time. grab your grips but dont squeeze to hard.. make it a mental note to grip with your knees and not your bars.

if you grip with your bars and get a little sideways etc you will naturally try to correct and that will make you crash hard. if you grip with your knees and weight your pegs and just use the handlebars to guide that front tire you will guide that rear wheel perfectly and most of the time be able to save your fall.

best way to learn to grip is to just do circles and practice turning, you lean and grip as hard as you can with your outside leg as you hold your inside foot out and weight your outside peg as your coming out with throttle to counter balance and to keep more tread on the ground.

it all comes with time stick fighter!

Thank you all for the helpful advice!! Looks like I've got a few things to change in my riding style.

Thank you all for the helpful advice!! Looks like I've got a few things to change in my riding style.

yea do it early before those bad habits get really hard to beat!

im still trying to fight off a few myself

Maybe try some paintball elbow pads?

I can actually wear these all day, unlike the MX elbow pads.

DSC_5877-L.jpg

I had the same issue for years, til I tried Leatt elbow guards.  They stay on, never slip, never constrict blood flow.  In a word, they are "perfect."

http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/elbow-guards-hard-shell.html

I had the same issue for years, til I tried Leatt elbow guards.  They stay on, never slip, never constrict blood flow.  In a word, they are "perfect."

http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/elbow-guards-hard-shell.html

Thanks man. I'll look into that. I switched over to Leatte dual axis knee guards and I swear by those. Never really considered Leatte elbow guards. Do they run a little large? My fox titans are L/XL and they are WAY too small. And the strap that crosses the bicep area cuts circulation off as well.

Thanks man. I'll look into that. I switched over to Leatte dual axis knee guards and I swear by those. Never really considered Leatte elbow guards. Do they run a little large? My fox titans are L/XL and they are WAY too small. And the strap that crosses the bicep area cuts circulation off as well.

If you call Leatt they'll fill you in on sizing for sure.