90/90/21 D606 on Front of CRF450X

Hi folks. I feel compelled to run a DoT tire on my plated bike, but wondered if anyone here was running the D606 up front? You can't buy it in a 80/100 so I ordered a 90/90. Will I regret this? I tried a 90/90 on my 450R and wasn't crazy about the slower steering, but wondered how big of an issue it seems to be for most people or if there's a better choice (at the risk of yet another tire thread).

RZ Rob

They work well on the street but suck in the dirt/gravel fire roads. I hear good things about the Pirelli and Michelin. I will try those next. The Dunlop also has a weird wear pattern, the tire is cupping badly and I've had two, so it wasn't just that one tire. They both have done it.

I'm also not a fan on the FRONT 606. It always felt ok on the street, but left a lot to be desired on the dirt. Felt very washy.

I'd look to either Pirelli or Michelin if you NEED a DOT tire. I have gotten the point to where I refuse to run a DOT tire.

Rear is great.

I'll add a vote of No Confidence as well.

The Kenda Parker DT is a killer off road tire and is DOT legal as well.

I run Pirelli XCMH tires on my X.  They're DOT tires and work extremely well in the dirt and don't totally suck on the street.  I've used 606's on my XR's and wouldn't run them again unless I had to.

Yeah ..606 ok on the street .. Pass on the Dirt

well that sounds unanimous. It was the best tire I found for my XR650L. I guess I'll give them a go, then if they really suck, I'll change them out. I'm tempted to just run the MX52s.

RZ Rob

Dirt -

Best front tyre for the 450x - Pirelli Scorpion MX Mid soft. Nothing else comes even close (MX Extra, MX 51, MX 31)

Best rear tyre for 450x - anything with a good edge and cheap! (the 450x will shred it very quickly)

Road - Michellin Pilot Road 4, Pirelli ST Angel

Dirt -

Best front tyre for the 450x - Pirelli Scorpion MX Mid soft. Nothing else comes even close (MX Extra, MX 51, MX 31)

Best rear tyre for 450x - anything with a good edge and cheap! (the 450x will shred it very quickly)

Road - Michellin Pilot Road 4, Pirelli ST Angel

Both of the road tyres you mentioned are touring tyres & the Pilot Road 4 is more of a wet weather specific touring tyre, Great for commuting mostly & still great tyres but there is much better/stickier options for on road tires for the more aggressive riders, I am running the Pirelli Rosso II tyres, These are the next step up from the angel tyres, The Pirelli Corsa or Supercorsa is an even more aggressive option or the Michelin Pilot power 2 or 3 etc in the Michelin range

Finding tyres that work well on the dirt & on road is near impossible so I now have both options with a set of supermoto wheels

The 606 is a really bad  off road tire, unless you are riding Michigan fire roads or Wet sand. 

They do NOT grip on dry dirt.

I opted for the Scorpions. I'll run the 606s on my XR which mostly sees pavement. Here's my CRFX rims on their way to me now.

RZ Rob

10377178_716552028409639_412531662890251