Sign in to follow this  

Erratic bike, need help sorting

Just gives an air leak, went riding today and it was just sporadic. Anything down low and it bogged, like a hesitating bog, immediately followed by a pants changing amount of power. ~1/2 throttle and below it did it.... Im figuring Im really messed up with my jetting, or of only at one point

More info about the bike. When was the last time you rode it and how did it run.? Could be a stuck choke, clogged main jet from fuel sitting too long, rats nest in air filter or in your pipe. You need to pull it apart and look closely at all of it.

I did, it got a winter re-vamp. Carb got cleaned, exhaust and air filter ask good. Before today last time was in November. I think the gas in the bike is bad, it's been in for 2 months now, im going to try fresh gas before any else

Bump, is a pwk with a 45 pilot too keen for a 125?

Not necessarily, it depends on what needle you are using.  The pilot only affects the idle circuit.

Aha, i know my needle is too lean (NECW), so can that cause my 1/4-1/2 throttle hesitation? Im thinking it was a lean bog, when i went to hit the throttle over every whoop i got the same consecutive bog

Aha, i know my needle is too lean (NECW), so can that cause my 1/4-1/2 throttle hesitation? Im thinking it was a lean bog, when i went to hit the throttle over every whoop i got the same consecutive bog

I like JD's needles.  He has been very helpful with me when I have called him for advice.  Just recently I have been working through a mid range bog on my 94 CR144 (Eric Gorr built) after buying a wossner piston that wasn't designed for what EG did.  JD was more than helpful even sent me 2 alternate needles and 2 main jets to get it sorted.  Long story short, my bike is running really good now on one of the alternate needles.  I couldn't recommend him more.  You might call him and see what he thinks about your situation and see if he could set up a JD kit specifically for your bike. 

I might, cause i didnt buy one of his airstrykers, and im not using his kit.... And i just remembered that i have the needle on the latest setting, I'm going to go try moving the clip down and see if it helps at all..... whoops haha, but yes I'll try and get in contact with jd

I might, cause i didnt buy one of his airstrykers, and im not using his kit.... And i just remembered that i have the needle on the latest setting, I'm going to go try moving the clip down and see if it helps at all..... whoops haha, but yes I'll try and get in contact with jd

A couple of years ago in a fit of madness, I bought JD's jetting guide thinking it would be a good way to do jetting comparisons with his needles.  Well, I found out really quickly that his guide is WAY above my head when it comes to jetting.  I gave up on it and never opened it again until a couple of weeks ago.  I have been having issues with my 94 cr144 and started calling JD on the phone asking for jetting advice.  I also took the opportunity to ask him if he would train me on his jetting guide.  He was very gracious and gave me some rough training so I can now use it to compare certain needles.  Having said all that, he also gave me some reasonable approximation codes so I could plug in his needles since this guide was made for aftermarket sudco needles and some OEM needles.  the codes he gave me are single taper codes and his needles are triple taper needles so that will give you an idea on how exact they will be but they give a decent idea of what changes will do to jetting which is all I need.  Anyway, once again having said all that, if I compare your NECW needle to JD's blue needle (which up until this current wossner piston I have in my 144 was working really well for it). 

JD's blue needle with 45 pilot, Needle in 4th clip position and 182 main jet

NECW needle with 45 pilot, 4th clip position and 178 main. 

NECW with these settings starts out much richer than the JD needle from 0- just before 1/8th throttle it spikes much richer and then from 1/8th to 1/4 throttle it gets very lean then from 1/4 to half throttle it gets pig rich all over again and then tapers off to moderately richer than JD's blue needle at WOT.  That HUGE spike from rich to lean is what you are seeing IMO in your 1/4 to half throttle bog.  IMO, that is not a good needle to run in a bike that does not have the power jet working in the carb.  I still don't understand the needle codes on different needles like RTV does so I am not going to recommend what needle to use unless you go with JD's needles, then I would recommend starting with his blue needle which seems to work pretty well with 125's. 

Edited by frdbtr

I figured it was a bad needle for this bike. I was recommended a CCK, and an going to get myself one of those and try it next

I figured it was a bad needle for this bike. I was recommended a CCK, and an going to get myself one of those and try it next

Yep, according to the jetting guide, that is a much better needle. 

Time to order one of those

If you are getting it from Jets R us or sudco, you might also get a DDJ as well, a lot of guys have recommended this one as a good 125 needle it couldn't hurt to have it on hand. 

If you are getting it from Jets R us or sudco, you might also get a DDJ as well, a lot of guys have recommended this one as a good 125 needle it couldn't hurt to have it on hand.

That i will, thanks for that