Sign in to follow this  

Two stroke engine break in procedures

Does anyone know a good break in method? Both bottom and top are new. Bottom engine was shipped dry. I know you put a little capful of oil down the spark plug to lube the piston up. Do I go with a heat cycle method or what? I've seen the moto tune method but that seems sketchy. Please give advice. If heat Cycle. then how many cycles? Remember the bottom is dry and brand new everything. 01 Honda cr250

Does anyone know a good break in method? Both bottom and top are new. Bottom engine was shipped dry. I know you put a little capful of oil down the spark plug to lube the piston up. Do I go with a heat cycle method or what? I've seen the moto tune method but that seems sketchy. Please give advice. If heat Cycle. then how many cycles? Remember the bottom is dry and brand new everything. 01 Honda cr250

Does the top end have a cast or forged piston? There are different break in methods depending on which type was used. 

With regards to the bottom end, what do you mean dry? Was it assembly with zero assembly lube/oil?

Does the top end have a cast or forged piston? There are different break in methods depending on which type was used.

With regards to the bottom end, what do you mean dry? Was it assembly with zero assembly lube/oil?

so idk if I should treat it like anything different. It's already together

1399333643318.jpg

would suggest giving it the pro x engine break in procedure during heat cycling by slowly going up to 75% throttle then letting off and then repeat slowly again?

U*

I use about 50% gradually but some use 75-90%???

Its your bike. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah I understand that but after what heat cycle do you go 100%? Cuz I am very cautious about my machines as well. I baby the shit out of them till they are ready for the abuse then abuse and then pamper back up :p

• Like 1

p.s I know not to rev it to the moon and back lol but just wondering when it's ready for good abuse

Yeah I understand that but after what heat cycle do you go 100%? Cuz I am very cautious about my machines as well. I baby the shit out of them till they are ready for the abuse then abuse and then pamper back up 

p.s I know not to rev it to the moon and back lol but just wondering when it's ready for good abuse

Yeah I understand that but after what heat cycle do you go 100%? Cuz I am very cautious about my machines as well. I baby the shit out of them till they are ready for the abuse then abuse and then pamper back up 

I ride slow after heat cycles are done.

Then about 1/2 hr in crank it up. If it hasn't seized or blew up by then its OK.

I ride slow after heat cycles are done.

Then about 1/2 hr in crank it up. If it hasn't seized or blew up by then its OK.

lol nice philosophy. I was thinking of letting it run for a total of 4 hours on an hour meter but I am guessing that is probably unnecessary and will probably take forever.
  • Like 2

My method is about one 1:30 minutes of using, then go bananas, but go to about 3rd 4rth and hit 6bt back break add you try to accelerate, and force the rings outward into the cylinder, seating them

Edited by zotis777

My method is about one 1:30 minutes of using, then go bananas, but go to about 3rd 4rth and hit 6bt back break add you try to accelerate, and force the rings outward into the cylinder, seating them

and hit 6th? I don't know if the ol cr has 6 gears but I get your point. What you mean by back break?

No, that was a typo lol, and i mean as you apply rear break give it had at the same time, to put load on the motor

Edited by zotis777

I trust this guy . And exactly how i do mine :thumbsup:
I believe I will go get me a thermometer. I wonder if most 2 strokes operate at 200 degrees? Hmm. Interesting.
  • Like 1

I trust this guy . And exactly how i do mine :thumbsup:
this also makes a tear in my eye. I don't remember ever seeing a two stroke atv in forever. That was when they were fun.
  • Like 1

I believe I will go get me a thermometer. I wonder if most 2 strokes operate at 200 degrees? Hmm. Interesting.

He does it for jetting reasons , simply because leaner runs hotter . I would think they would be fairly the same water or air cooled water cooled slightly lower temp . Would make for an interesting subject  :thumbsup: Break out the test bikes  :lol:

• Like 2