2012 300xcw turns like a bus.

New KTM owner.

Bike handled like crap when i first got it.

Set the sag and went to factory settings and its much better but still does not like to turn, i dont have confidence to charge corners, wheel wants to slip out.

Any way to get this bike to handle even close to as good as my '03 CR?

Make sure your rear wheel is centered. I usually measure from the center of the rear axle to the center of the swingarm bolt and make sure its the same on both sides.

Raising the forks in the clamps a little will make for quicker turning, but be sure your rear wheel is centered first.

Hmm....03 CR and an oh 12 300 XCW......2 bikes that are nite n day different. Lets start with the obvious: How's the front end (suspension) set? What kind of riding do you do - ie techical woods type or track? I can ask about tires, counter and rear sprockt stuff, et cetera....2 different animals! The KTM has a bit longer wheelbase that the CR..The 300 is a way mellower bike that any CR, with completely different powerbands, BUT it will come alive.

My experience when I went from a Honda to a KTM was that the KTMs seemed WAY taller - almost like the handlebars were ape hangers - vs a Honda. You're talking Euro vs a motocross bike, with a 9 year technological advancement, vs arguably the best trail/woods bike on the planet that has been truley improved sucessfully with each generation. Few bikes can boast that.

I think you're so used to that CR (this is normal), that it's gonna take awhile (a short while) to figure it out.

I'll also bet you'll come to the conclusion that you didn't know how miserable you were on that CR..

Hmm....03 CR and an oh 12 300 XCW......2 bikes that are nite n day different. Lets start with the obvious: How's the front end (suspension) set? What kind of riding do you do - ie techical woods type or track? I can ask about tires, counter and rear sprockt stuff, et cetera....2 different animals! The KTM has a bit longer wheelbase that the CR..The 300 is a way mellower bike that any CR, with completely different powerbands, BUT it will come alive.

My experience when I went from a Honda to a KTM was that the KTMs seemed WAY taller - almost like the handlebars were ape hangers - vs a Honda. You're talking Euro vs a motocross bike, with a 9 year technological advancement, vs arguably the best trail/woods bike on the planet that has been truley improved sucessfully with each generation. Few bikes can boast that.

I think you're so used to that CR (this is normal), that it's gonna take awhile (a short while) to figure it out.

I'll also bet you'll come to the conclusion that you didn't know how miserable you were on that CR..

came off a 04 cr 250 and you are spot on!

Turning like a bus and front wheel sliding out are somewhat different, my 12 300 turned great but lacked traction with the stock front tire, try a different tire and if you are running tubes check your pressure

Also make sure the forks are not bound on the axle and check the forks have not twisted in the clamps, they seem to twist easily in the ktm so loosen everything up on the triples and front axle, wiggle the forks a little and tighten everything up to spec watching you dont over tighten the pinch bolts holding the forks especially the lower ones

Turning like a bus and front wheel sliding out are somewhat different, my 12 300 turned great but lacked traction with the stock front tire, try a different tire and if you are running tubes check your pressure

Also make sure the forks are not bound on the axle and check the forks have not twisted in the clamps, they seem to twist easily in the ktm so loosen everything up on the triples and front axle, wiggle the forks a little and tighten everything up to spec watching you dont over tighten the pinch bolts holding the forks especially the lower ones

Agreed, Stu - front fork tuning (even as simple as experimenting with rebound/compression clickers) is HUGE..found that out very quickly on the first ride of my oh nine.

I would rather ride a bus than a Honda!

New KTM owner.

Bike handled like crap when i first got it.

Set the sag and went to factory settings and its much better but still does not like to turn, i dont have confidence to charge corners, wheel wants to slip out.

Any way to get this bike to handle even close to as good as my '03 CR?

My '11 300 was doing the same thing. From stock settings my buddy suggested to decrease rebound 1 clock in forks, two clicks on shock. Problem fixed!!

Not only does it get both wheels to the ground faster, the rear wheel rebounds quicker to the ground thus forcing the front wheel downward, steepening ur rake and increasing turning sharpness.

My old suspension guy, Dewayne Jones (pro rider Gary Jones' bro) told me that front end problems are often caused by the shock. It was true for me, as described above.

came off a 04 cr 250 and you are spot on!

My buddy tried for years to have his friend ride the KTM 300. No sir, ain't happening. Well his friend's BRAND NEW CRF450 was having the suspension redone, he borrowed Tom's 300 for a day.

Called Tom that night and said,"that's it, I'm selling my 450, buying that Katoom 300. I never knew how good a bike could be so amazing offroad!!" Another convert, bless his soul haha.

Hope Krannie TheKoolaidMadeMeSick reads this.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

I would rather ride a bus than a Honda!

well if youre on a KTM you pretty much are ;-)

Well im gonna play with the settings. If i cant get it to feel good the bike is gone. Ive mentioned to a few people that it could be for sale soon.

There is quite a few on Thumper Talk that have bought the sold their KTMs and gone back to their CR or YZ 250s.

After riding RM250's for decades I bought a '12 300XCW and for the most part had the same impression as you.  But switching brands does take adjustment time, learning a new bike can't be done in just a few hours.  The biggest thing that you need to know is that your Honda was an MX bike and your KTM is an enduro, both designed to specialize in those conditions.  That's why no one recommends racing an XCW on a MX track, and why 'll spend thousands to get your CR to handle right in the woods.

That said if your XCW isn't turning like you think it should ~ use the adjusters!  Every adjustment that you could make on your CR you can make on a XCW, so there's no reason to think that it could outperform your CR once you figure it out.  It's possible that you might have bought the wrong bike for your conditions, maybe a XC would have been better but you won't know until you start messing with it.

KTMs are really sensitive to suspension settings.  I have 2 PDS 300's and they both handle good...now.  KTM's are a different animal form Jap bikes.  If you are riding slow, windy, woods type stuff where you actually have to use your front wheel to steer, the best way is to move your rear wheel up as far as you can and put your nuts up on the gas cap to weight the front wheel.  On anything else you need to kind of "surf" your bike through using your rear wheel.  KTM front ends are pretty twitchy and wander by nature.....stabalizers are the hot ticket.  

KTMs are really sensitive to suspension settings. I have 2 PDS 300's and they both handle good...now. KTM's are a different animal form Jap bikes. If you are riding slow, windy, woods type stuff where you actually have to use your front wheel to steer, the best way is to move your rear wheel up as far as you can and put your nuts up on the gas cap to weight the front wheel. On anything else you need to kind of "surf" your bike through using your rear wheel. KTM front ends are pretty twitchy and wander by nature.....stabalizers are the hot ticket.

what you say makes sense but i really dont want to buy a stabalizer and different offset clamps and suspension work to maybe make the bike handle as well as a CR or a YZ.

Having said that, the bikes powerplant is amazing and the places it goes with ease is mind blowing.

Im cleaning up the KTM and selling it.

Must say im surprised how average KTMs handle being that they are the "best off road bike ever made"

I wish me and you I could go for a rip. Within a couple hours I could have your bike dialed for you...

I think he bought a bad one.

At Least go back to Yamaha. Honda is a pile.

:bonk: ever owned one of these miserable bikes? They are excellent turning while being stable. That said I sold my 02 cr (wanted more woodsy grunt motor) and got a husky wr300 - great handling machine. Guy who has owned several ktms said my Italian husky also handled great.

Have an open mind - there are other woodsy bikes besides the Ktm 300.

Sheeez  the KTM funk is strong in here.. I guess it's the ktm threads but damn.. KTM is a great brand but wake up some of you. Hondas straight up handle very well whether it's in the trails or on the track. KTM's have a reputation for having to be worked on a bit to improve turning..suspension.. They aren't known for turning... no big deal. All bikes have specific stuff to dial in.. but the trash talking about Honda's being bad are retarded.  ..You never hear about Honda's not handling well.. maybe a little stiffer here and there..mx bike after all...but cr 2 strokes are known for handling very well. How about just go to the settings that would work best.. but I guess that's hard if most here haven't ridden a cr 250 to compare. 

I think he bought a bad one.

At Least go back to Yamaha. Honda is a pile.

my "pile" '03 cr250 has gone well over 500 hours since i last rebuilt it. Just took it for a rip, fires right up and goes like hell. Oh ya, handles amazing! Paid $1500 for it 6 years ago got it dialed in with about a $1000 in parts.

Tough as nails always runs.

"pile" indeed.

I guess i had the right bike all along for my style and terrain.

what you say makes sense but i really dont want to buy a stabalizer and different offset clamps and suspension work to maybe make the bike handle as well as a CR or a YZ.

Having said that, the bikes powerplant is amazing and the places it goes with ease is mind blowing.

Im cleaning up the KTM and selling it.

Must say im surprised how average KTMs handle being that they are the "best off road bike ever made"

Since you already have it you might as well look for more info on improving settings etc.. I've heard about ktm's not turning from my gasgas friends more.. gasgas turn pretty good..I gotta ask some of my ktm 300 friends what they have done.. If it all doesn't work out I'd go Beta 2 stroke. The easiest way to describle is it turns and handles like a honda... That's just a lame kind of description but more closer to it.. but really you have the bike.. just gotta get the right setup . Do more internet searching.. It's free too. Others have gone through this.