I bought a new 13 kx450f and I'm a novice rider. Besides that, I'm 6'1, and 170 pounds. I'm really skinny and not that strong. This bike is way too heavy for me, I especially feel it corners. It's allow you to make big mistakes and rip it In the next straight and still make decent time, but I never feel like I'm actually riding good unless I get lucky and hit a section good.

Everyone told me this and I should of listened, but it's too late now. Besides that, it seems like it has less of a fun factor. For some reasons it's just not as fun as wringing out a 2 stroke.

Especially when I get sideways in the air or whoops, there is NO correcting it. I just done like the semi truck feeling of a 450 vs the agile race car feeling of a 2 stroke. But, a big reason why I wanted to get off a 125 was because it's lack of stability. I feel so stupid for making this mistake, but I guess you have to experience things to learn. I feel like my riding ability is never really improving on this bike , I just get a little more used to the bike.

I want to get a 250 2t, but I don't know. I feel like the grass isn't always greener, but I hate the stalling and inability to corner.

On a 450, it's like you have to pick a line through the beginning of a berm and ride it through straight in a line. Finesse. I love the way on a two stroke you can whip into a turn and whip the bars and rear wheel sideways and pin it. I feel like the fast 450 riders do this too

I absolutely love the torquey power of a 450, in a straight line. It's amazing the feeling of that pure horsepower. I don't want to sell it for that reason, but I know a 2 stroke will actually allow me to improve. The 4 stroke is like putting a blanket over my mistakes. It makes riding frustrating and boring

Opinions?

• Like 1

Lots to talk about, I only have a minute.  The 250 smoker will handle fine, but you may not be as fast on a moto track with it.  But if the 450 is holding you back, then you have lots of improvement room!  The 250 will be a better stepping stone machine to allow you to sharpen your skeels.

Hope it helps.  Later got to go!

• Like 4

Well, I just traded my 2t for a 450.

I can say they are different creatures for sure. I owned a yz400f before so I knew the ergonomics of the 4t's.

That said I had not rode a 4t in 12 years or so.

I felt the same thing this weekend at first.

You need to gain confidence with the 450.

That will come in time after you get comfortable on the bike.

I was used to coasting down big hills and blitzing corners.

I had to remind myself to brakeslide corners power down hills or clutch and coast. By the end of the weekend, I was gaining confidence.

Getting comfortable with the bike also includes setting suspension and sag, handlebars, levers. Learning if you hit a log its going to hop left or right. If you power in a turn it wants to stand up unless you bank hard.

Learn the bike, if you cannot get comfortable with it, its not the right bike for you. I'm the same way when I throw a leg over my brothers RM250, power is spot on but its twitchy, I lay down in more corners then js7. That's why I don't own Suzuki.

I believe with enough practice you will improve on a 450. Just takes seat time.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Any other questions?

• Like 1

I kind if felt the same way especially since I cantride nearly as much as some people too improve but I am slowing geting more comfortable on my 450. I wouldn't jump ship yet. Start hittin the gym too.

• Like 1

If you are riding mostly moto the 450 is probably going to be a bit much for quite a while. If you can find someone with a 250f in similar condition to your bike and just trade that would be a much more fun bike imo. Most novice/intermediate riders are faster riding mx on a 250f anyway. If you want to try to keep the 450 go take it to some open trails or somewhere that you can really lay into the throttle and do all sorts of different things with it. Getting a feel feel how the bike reacts and making your mistakes in wide open terrain will help you get a better feel for how the bike reacts to different treatment

• Like 1

I see it like this, you start racing to get to the pro class (450's)

Why would you go backwards?

You can ride a 450 slow,

You can also ride it fast.

What more do you need?

If you are in serious doubt, then buy a used 250 and practice on both. At one point I rode 125's, 250's, and 500's.

The 125's lost favour with me quick after getting a 500. Talk about lack of power. Jump off a 500 onto a 125.

• Like 3

I see it like this, you start racing to get to the pro class (450's)

Why would you go backwards?

You can ride a 450 slow,

You can also ride it fast.

What more do you need?

If you are in serious doubt, then buy a used 250 and practice on both. At one point I rode 125's, 250's, and 500's.

The 125's lost favour with me quick after getting a 500. Talk about lack of power. Jump off a 500 onto a 125.

:lol:  like riding a moped , huh ? 

• Like 1

You bought the bike, learn how to ride it. Learn to maneuver it. It'll take a while, but why not accept the challenge and improve your skills?

• Like 2

:lol: like riding a moped , huh ?

almost scary doing a triple on a 125 after just coming off a 500. Lol

But back then triples weren't as far apart around here anyhow.

almost scary doing a triple on a 125 after just coming off a 500. Lol

But back then triples weren't as far apart around here anyhow.

Only triple i'm doing are naps. :lol:  Just went to see another back Dr. today . :lame:

• Like 1

Only triple i'm doing are naps. :lol: Just went to see another back Dr. today . :lame:

lol, same here after breaking a knee 12 years ago, I don't jump jumps. Lmbo. I don't need that again.
  • Like 1

lol, same here after breaking a knee 12 years ago, I don't jump jumps. Lmbo. I don't need that again.

I leave jumping for moto heads. My friend finally went out with me after FOUR YEARS of asking him to go off-roading. I rode the track with him several times, and he said,"man you are a lot more fluent in the woods!"

I suck at moto in part bc my bike setup, in part bc I'm not into it.

• Like 4

The 450 will teach you to be smooth. Smaller bikes you can get away with over riding, because the power and weight isn't there. Just because you can muscle the smaller bike around more doesn't mean that is the faster way to ride it. If you are unhappy with the 450 cornering I would stay with it until you get comfortable. Wait until you can wring out the 450 before you make judgements about how it handles. There isn't a 450 on the market that handles like a semi, you just have to develop the skills. Whoops and jumps/air is where the 450 has the easiest advantage of smaller displacements. It's a tough call because if you aren't ready for the 450 then you are just putting your self at risk rather the learning from what it has to offer.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 3

I leave jumping for moto heads. My friend finally went out with me after FOUR YEARS of asking him to go off-roading. I rode the track with him several times, and he said,"man you are a lot more fluent in the woods!"

I suck at moto in part bc my bike setup, in part bc I'm not into it.

I go ride our local track with my son sometime maybe just a few laps , mainly so i'm not just sitting on a bike in full gear watching like a poser ( Freshly washed riding gear too ) I just keep to one side or the other and roll over the jumps  :lol:  He laps me 5 or 6 times but o' well . Then we will go ride some trails for my entertainment .  :ride:

• Like 1

tighten your legs up a bit when you g side ways this is gonna be the work out of your life though :goofy:  just get comfortable when the time comes youll be  glad you got that 450 :ride:

• Like 1

My honest opinion is don't sell it yet. Get with a local shop and get things set up on the bike for you. That helps tremendously. My last bike needed suspension badly, but part of the reason I bought this one is the suspension is almost perfect for me, I am playing with clickers but valving and spring rate is perfect. That alone was a huge selling point. Hate to coin the phrase, but it was truly ready to race. Lol

I'm just readjusting my riding to the 4t. Its a different creature from a 2t.

I love riding the bike and I want to have a challenge but I feel like its just too much.  Most fast rider my age aren't even on 450s  and I'm far from fast.  I just feel like my skills would improve a lot faster on a 250 2t.  Thats why I posted the thread though, I need some input.  theres got to be somebody who knows a little about this.