Sign in to follow this  

Garden tractor- box scraper

Hey guys I'm new here so I figured I'd post something. Has anyone used one of these box scraper attachments for a riding lawnmower to maintain a track? I can't afford any heavy machinery right now and the landscaping rake makes maintenance a full time job.  just wondering if one of these are worth the money.

Im looking at a craftsman or Husqvarna mower and probably same brand on the box scraper or one from northern tool. I can't get the picture to post but most of the scrapers are 38in wide. 

I doubt it would be any good for serious trackmaint.

I would look for a small horse drawn disc. Pull it with your truck.

Put weight on top and cut it in 2-3" deep at a pass. You might even find one at tsc..

• Like 1

I don't know about maintaining a track, but I run heavy equipment for a living. Box scrapes are good if you want a flat road with no concern for changes in pitch. They have a flat blade, no way to adjust pitch, so they are always hunting level ground. I don't know how to relate it to a track, but if you were grading a road with say a crown in the middle, eventually the road would be totally flat with no crown. It also drags up any loose dirt and leaves you with a hard pack underneath, which I don't think would be good for a dirt bike on a track.

• Like 2

Ill look more into disc option seems like it would be much quicker. I don't have much experience with farming or dirt equipment outside of renting a bobcat so thanks for the replies. 

• Like 1

Ill look more into disc option seems like it would be much quicker. I don't have much experience with farming or dirt equipment outside of renting a bobcat so thanks for the replies.

Around here indiana & Ohio, nobody tends to use then anymore. So they go for scrap price. Don't get bigger than 7' wide. Unless you have 4x4 truck. Lol

I've bought old discs for as low as $100.00. If you are in Amish areas horse drawn will be higher price.

• Like 1

Pick up an older Wheel Horse garden tractor (with a horizontal shaft engine, a vertical shaft engine is nothing more than a lawn mower with Wheel Horse tractors).  You can get a mid mounted grader blade for them which should allow you to adjust for some height as well as angling the blade left to right.  Add some weight to the wheels and maybe some tire chains, and I think you'd be in good shape.

I used to use a lawn tractor with a weighted skid dragged behind to groom parts of my old track. A couple of passes, and it was good to go. Other parts I left rough for practice. Old, un road worthy 4x4 trucks can be had cheaply as well. a do what ya gotta do

Me and my 13 year old welded up a drag to be pulled by our old ATV.

I posted a couple pics in anther thread ("Boy Got a Welder for Birthday")

Works awesome.

Way better than I thought it would.

Took some trial and error:

designed mount so front edge can be lowered and raised.

broke ferrule, then adjuster, then wire rope tie-off and then pulley....but we re-engineered each of them as they broke and it is working now.