Sign in to follow this  

Want more power!

Hello I am new to this forum and am hoping to pick some info from the wise, I have tried the search but cant seem to get the answer I am looking for.

My current bike is a 91 RT180 and she is a little lacking for my size now. I consider myself an experienced rider at 22, 6ft and 220lb, I ride single track to gnarly goat trails not in competition and prefer smokers. I have been wondering if a YZ250 could haul me around at my size or would it seem to be lacking in the power department, I would probably drop a tooth or two at the front sprocket to gain a lower gear at the sacrifice of high speed.

Opinions?

Thanks!    :ride:

I'm rolling the dice on this one. And the survey says CR500. Let's see how experienced of a rider you are..

• Like 3

I'm rolling the dice on this one. And the survey says CR500. Let's see how experienced of a rider you are..

I must apologize I didnt realize this was a 2T. All I have to say is... that would be frightening, and fun.

I like to hear that, thanks for the help guys.

I owned a cr500 as my second bike

That was my original plan but there is no dealer near my location. I am worried parts could be hard to get ahold of.

no way dude there are more KTM's per square mile than anything else. Parts are never a problem.

no way dude there are more KTM's per square mile than anything else. Parts are never a problem.

My local shops say they can get me a larger spectrum of yamaha parts, how are ktms for ordering parts online? Edited by Vanillagorilla302

My local shops say they can get me a larger spectrum of yamaha parts, how are ktms for ordering parts online?

It is brilliantly easy here in Aus (and a far flung part of it too kind of)  I'd imagine its the same or easier on the North American continent. :thumbsup:

The KTM smokers are nice and reliable "change the gear oil, clean filter, change brake pads and chains" bikes.

Im a boat ride away from the nearest ktm dealer, and shipping fees arnt friendly to us.

Firstly, I can almost guarantee I'd pay more for shipping than you.

Secondly, You asked about ordering KTM parts on line, so I told you about ordering KTM parts online.

Considering they don't teleport them to you and I had no way to know the above why did you bother asking?

--------------------------

We'll talk about YZs then:

The YZ250 (and 125) is a great bike, but for trail riding many people have to modify the engine to either tame them or smooth them out. Also the suspension is supposed to be some of the best fitted to a modern bike, however, it is set up for motocross and is likely to need adjusting or re valving to suit off road work.

This usually nullifies the price difference between the purchase cost of a KTM and Jap. It is not possible to road register them either and you have to pay for a lighting coil and all lights and accessories if you want lights.

This is why many are steering you towards a KTM. You buy it once and then it works for the application.

And my 2c about dealers:

Because of past interactions, I do not use my "friendly" local dealer if I can avoid it (which is always possible).

But by all means buy because of which dealer you have.