Clutch less shifting

On a TTR230 how do I do it? Let off the throttle slightly??? Just wondering. Trying to ride a little faster

On a TTR230 how do I do it? Let off the throttle slightly??? Just wondering. Trying to ride a little faster

If you shift like this you keep constant throttle , I do this sometimes and need to stop doing it on my cr250 , last time i changed my gearbox oil it came out almost grey instead of red . It's your bike but myself I won't do it anymore and i don't even race  :lol:

I agree with Beau. You can just let off and shift without the clutch, but that won't make you faster. If you want to go faster I think you're maybe thinking of what I think of as "power shifting". I'm not sure if the term is right, but the method involves keeping the throttle pinned and just slipping the clutch to shift. But unless you're racing competitively or racing your buds for bragging rights, I wouldn't make it a habit. The speed you'll gain is negligible and you'll be putting extra wear on your clutch/tranny over time...

I agree with Beau. You can just let off and shift without the clutch, but that won't make you faster. If you want to go faster I think you're maybe thinking of what I think of as "power shifting". I'm not sure if the term is right, but the method involves keeping the throttle pinned and just slipping the clutch to shift. But unless you're racing competitively or racing your buds for bragging rights, I wouldn't make it a habit. The speed you'll gain is negligible and you'll be putting extra wear on your clutch over time...

Edited by Fattonz

It won't hurt anything, I never use my clutch to shift. I have over 150 hours on the bike and no trans or clutch problems. I don't use it to down shift or up shift. I shift with the throttle in all positions. Do a search on the subject, plenty of info.

If it's done right it doesn't hurt much more than normal, it doesn't make you faster either. If I'm tired and have arm pump? Sure, ill click it with no clutch, in also not very worried about damage, if my gearbox breaks I'll just fix it myself, it's a weekend job for me.....

I'm on both sides of the fence on this really. I know it won't damage anything with it being a constant mesh transmission . I guess my case is different but definitely don't like my trans. oil looking metallic . I used Pro Honda HP to start with now working on some leftover 15w-50 Mobil i had a case of going to waste sitting around but thinking of going to the Rotella next and check it out. Needs more Zinc vitamins maybe  :thumbsup:

@ beau 88 if your transmission oil is grey it's because you have aluminium clutch discs, change to metal discs or just change your oil more often it's not a problem :)

@ beau 88 if your transmission oil is grey it's because you have aluminium clutch discs, change to metal discs or just change your oil more often it's not a problem :)

Thanks, yea i changed them all to steel disc on my 05 CR250 but on the 01' it does have the cheap feeling aluminum disc. I change oil after every ride usually just because i'm tinkering around and get bored , maybe i should just ride more  :thinking: 

Dirt bikes have one advantage over street bikes; the rear tire can slip more easily reducing the need for using the clutch.  I've had some bikes that were very difficult to powershift WOT so I started doing quick roll backs on the throttle.  The three bikes that I have now have very light clutch pulls so I've gotten into the habit of using the clutch. In slippery conditions using the clutch makes shifting smoother and can help control traction.

on edit corrected spelling

Edited by Chuck.

I've been doing it more and it's much easier. I just roll off the throttle and it shifts rigt up. Great when you are tired!

If you want to be faster, not pulling the clutch in isnt going to make you faster. Try twisting the throttle a little further each gear. You will be faster, try practicing the basics. Body position, gear selection, balance, etc. Where you can make the most time up is in cornering. Every clown can ride straight fast or jump basic jumps. Try improving technique everywhere and you will feel and see improvments. Use the clutch, its a skill aswell.