First Four Stroke.

Hey everyone, sorry in advance if this is the wrong spot. I sold my CR125 this spring and just bought a 2007 KX250F, this is my first four stroke and I don't really know a whole lot about them or maintaining them but I definitely want to be on top of my maintenance. I do all kinds of riding, mostly trails, gravel pits and a bit of track. How often will I want to change my oil and filter? Is there any specific oil that's better than the rest? What other regular maintenance am I going to want to do? I've heard to do valves and get a check up done every year. But like I said I don't have a clue so please let me know of anything. I also have a bit of a problem with the throttle sticking, is there a way to fix this or do I need to replace the assembly? Thanks in advance.

First thing I would do Is check the valve clearances.  See where they are at.  Also buy a service manual.

Just keep an eye on valve clearance.  Your not racing motocross, and I'm assuming your not bouncing it off the rev limiter constantly, so you don't have to check it after every ride, maybe twice a year or 30 hours and if your valve clearance is changing between checks, then get your head rebuilt.

I'd change the oil every 10 hours of trail riding, unless your doing something extreme, and change the oil filter every other oil change.

You can go crazy maintaining your bike, but really your bike is seven years old, I wouldn't throw good money at it until it needs it.  You'll know when it needs it if you keep an eye on it's condition.  I keep a notepad with dates and the work I've done to it.

First thing I would do Is check the valve clearances. See where they are at. Also buy a service manual.

The guy that owned it before me was a mechanic (not a bike mechanic though) and did all of his maintenance, he said he just set the valves and did the cam timing. I'll have to get a manual for sure! Can I check/set valves myself?

The guy that owned it before me was a mechanic (not a bike mechanic though) and did all of his maintenance, he said he just set the valves and did the cam timing.

I'll have to get a manual for sure! Can I check/set valves myself?

Don't take what people tell you for fact, especially when buying used. Get manual and check it over.

Yes you can check and set valves.

Just keep an eye on valve clearance. Your not racing motocross, and I'm assuming your not bouncing it off the rev limiter constantly, so you don't have to check it after every ride, maybe twice a year or 30 hours and if your valve clearance is changing between checks, then get your head rebuilt.

I'd change the oil every 10 hours of trail riding, unless your doing something extreme, and change the oil filter every other oil change.

You can go crazy maintaining your bike, but really your bike is seven years old, I wouldn't throw good money at it until it needs it. You'll know when it needs it if you keep an eye on it's condition. I keep a notepad with dates and the work I've done to it.

Yeah I tend to ride the bike fairly nice, once in a while at the track I'll ride it pretty good but even then I'm not bouncing it off the rev limiter or constantly punching it. What kind of cost are you looking at for rebuilding a head? Possible to do myself or better off going to a shop? I'm not looking to pour money into the bike but I don't mind spending a bit to make sure my bike lasts. The guy I bought it from claims to be the first owner and says he's maintained it really good, which would be great but I really have no idea if that's true or not. He did say that he set the valves and can timing though and the bike starts up within a couple kicks when it's cold.

Don't take what people tell you for fact, especially when buying used. Get manual and check it over.

Yes you can check and set valves.

Yeah definitely never trust people, just seen a buddies old bike on kijiji that he traded in with a big hole patched in the bottom of the engine, thing was advertised as having a new motor lol.

$500 to rebuild a head and you really can't do all the work yourself.  Don't worry you'll never have to do it.

As mentioned by Toadl follow those hours on oil and filter changes.

Try find out when the piston and rings were last changed, might be a good idea to just do it for piece of mind.

Enjoy the bike   

Alright awesome, he says he did the too end a couple years ago, I believe it has an Athena top end. What's the best piston/rings to go for? Also is an hour meter hard to install? And he told me he runs 10w40, is that what I should be running?

I run OEM pistons on the my 250 but ran Wiseco on my 450.

I only use a 10W40 full or semi synthetic motorcycle oils like Motul or Repsol.

Hour meter is very easy to fit, just has a wire that wraps around the spark plug lead.