Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota Why aren't the Jordan motocross practices packed?

I really want to know.

Elko was packed, and I thought I knew why; it's close to the twin cities, and was a fun layout.  It was safe for us sucks, and fun for all skill levels.

Jordan has practices; it's close to the twin cities and has a fun layout.  It's safe for sucks, and fun for all skill levels.

Why is it that it seems like Elko pulled more riders in for practices?  Is it the central location drew in people from both sides of the city; where the west-siiiiiide location of Jordan caters to the west metro people?  Is it the overall decreasing population of riders?

Enquiring minds and all that... if you don't go, why not?

I'm really looking forward to the first practice this Saturday; hope the weather is decent.

I've never been there....  Well, actually I have, but it was for a benefit, didn't ride.

Elko was 15 minutes from home, so its probably not fair to compare the distance, but...  I think the central location of Elko was pretty big.  But I think the bigger thing is, the tracks themselves.  I compare Jordan to...  well, going to the sandbox.  Fair?  Maybe not, but it is what it is.

Its on my to-do list...  but its not at the top.  If it was 15 minutes away?  Yeah, I would have been there already...

PS.  For what its worth...  When Motokazie left Elko, I only went there a handful more times.  I didn't like the new track at all.  As a matter of fact, there were a couple of times that a couple buddies and myself went to the "new" Elko, made two laps, and went back home to ride our home track.  So much for a track that is 15 minutes from home.

That's kinda what I thought... it has the supercross stigma! :)

really it's like the other motokazie tracks; it doesn't have steep takeoffs and landings. it's not huge, but big enough to be fun. I really like it a lot.

there has been talk about maybe expanding the track a little and making it a district 23 track... time will tell if that's feasible.

That's kinda what I thought... it has the supercross stigma! :)

really it's like the other motokazie tracks; it doesn't have steep takeoffs and landings. it's not huge, but big enough to be fun. I really like it a lot.

there has been talk about maybe expanding the track a little and making it a district 23 track... time will tell if that's feasible.

It might for others, but I don't think its the supercross stigma so much for me.  As I recall from seeing it, there wasn't any do or die kind of things there.  For me, its more the small tight, lanes right next to lanes kind of thing.  Do you get out of 2nd gear? :-)

Like I said, its on my to-do list...  ;-)

I'm a little in the dark hear, but what your saying is that if I go to the practice at Jordan this weekend, from past experience there won't be hardly anyone there?  Just wonder because I would be what you describe as a "Suck."

Also, I search around for Elko Speedway MX, and couldn't find a good website.  Is it correct that they have practices Thursday nights for $20? 

At either of these places do they do rotations when you ride according to rider class?

I have a woods bike so jumping requires a little bit more caution, but I would like some practice since Hare Scrambles include some MX track.

I'm a little in the dark hear, but what your saying is that if I go to the practice at Jordan this weekend, from past experience there won't be hardly anyone there?  Just wonder because I would be what you describe as a "Suck."

Also, I search around for Elko Speedway MX, and couldn't find a good website.  Is it correct that they have practices Thursday nights for $20? 

At either of these places do they do rotations when you ride according to rider class?

I have a woods bike so jumping requires a little bit more caution, but I would like some practice since Hare Scrambles include some MX track.

I wouldn't say "hardly anyone"; but in its heyday, Elko was packed!  I mean, the whole parking lot, and then you'd park way out near the speedway.  Jordan gets riders;  you're going to be out there with people of your skill level... just not as hugely packed as I think it should be (very fun track, close location to west metro, what else has that?).

Yes, most organized practices split you up in like A/B, C, 80s, 50s, something like that.  There usually is a variety of skill levels; I doubt you'll be the slowest out there.  I too am a suck; and I'm glad they have landings for me too.   :)

I don't know about the current Elko situation; I thought that shut down?  Don't quote me on that, I have zero idea...

It might for others, but I don't think its the supercross stigma so much for me.  As I recall from seeing it, there wasn't any do or die kind of things there.  For me, its more the small tight, lanes right next to lanes kind of thing.  Do you get out of 2nd gear? :-)

Like I said, its on my to-do list...  ;-)

Now that you say it... you're right, some of the parts of the track are close to each other.  I don't notice it riding.  The "lane" near the pits is the big hill "finish line jump" (that I never have ever had the guts to try to actually jump all the way... it's down hill, for some reason that freaks me out), and then another big table, before you turn back towards the start gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9FwXCVBO8

I really like that big table (at 1:18); and then you're easily in third coming out of that corner (at 1:28) leading onto the start straight.  I go over the little hump in second, then shift to third soon after, and take it near the rev limiter.

I see what you're saying.. they pack a lot in a little amount of space.  If they expanded it a little more, I would really like that a lot.

Some people won't go to organized practices when quads are allowed. Makes the wait in between sessions too long. I've never been to Jordan but planning on going if it's not going to rain. I hate when it's 50% chance a rain, I can never decide what to do.

Some people won't go to organized practices when quads are allowed. Makes the wait in between sessions too long. I've never been to Jordan but planning on going if it's not going to rain. I hate when it's 50% chance a rain, I can never decide what to do.

Don’t you know the MN forecast language?

10-30% chance of rain: Definitely going to rain.

40-60% chance of rain: Probably not going to rain.

70-90% chance of rain: It might rain.

100% chance of rain: Sun.

the practices move by fairly quickly; usually well organized.

today's forecast for Jordan is saying no rain... probably jinxing it. :)

I should be there and pitifully slow... new suspension, first ride of the year; insert excuse here.

I wish I could make it, but once again I have a busy schedule. I had one of the motokazie sponsorships last year and I still didn't make it out there once.... Jordan is a fun track though.

I made it; it was great, they re-designed the track. 

After the start straight, you now turn harder right, go a short ways, then left... then you jump into five smaller jumps.  You can roll them, double-double-single, or double-triple (you can bet I never tried that).  The double in, then double, and single out was a lot of fun!

Then you go hard left, go through the whoops, back right, a little table, and then the triple.

I had rolled the triple enough times to finally go for the double portion of it; but I haven't ridden in so long, my judgement was off.

I cased the triple about as hard as you can!  I was way up there, looking at my trajectory, and just though "oh nooooo".  I figured it was a big crash coming.

Phew!  I cased it, it was no fun... but I rode away no problem.  The corner worker was looking at me covering his mouth, like "oh geeez!".

I look forward to the next one... it's getting harder for me to travel to ride, so I love the closeness and the fun times.

Oh yeah... my lap timer mostly worked, but I think I need to work on placement.  I was slightly turning, so the bike was angled over a little, and I didn't get all my laps; but I'm doing around 1:27  lap times at Jordan.  Yes I'm sure that's horrible!  It was fun though; another guy at the line had a trail-tech computer, and we compared notes.    :)

• Like 1

Sounds like fun. You happen to get any video footage?

oh man... only thing that I got was my first session, where I was rolling everything.  I'd be embarrassed to post it.

:)  you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5rr_bVFPo

1. I'm not proud of that; rolled everything, rode slow
  2. the triple?  I could only get the nerve to double, as always.  See the guy in the video way above?  He triples no problem.  I'm a sissy.
  3. at least you get the idea of what I was talking about with the track changes
  4. I came in before the checkers in the first practice; way out of shape.

I rode the C practice; that group was not that big.

For all my complaining about it being slippery... the guy that passes me and marches away seemed to have no problems.

I guess "the gauntlet" is a 1:27 on that track (that was the quickest time I recorded that day).  No, that's not impressive... if you're halfway quick, you should easily be able to beat that.

Yessir. Well I don't blame ya for it being the first time out this year... I went to a practice sand track a couple weeks ago, and, well I haven't ridden a big bike more than a few times in the past couple years. Arm-pump after the first lap and I could barely hang on. I couldn't even try to go fast unless I wanted to take a dirt sample. I'll let you know if I'm going to Jordan at all this year. I'd prefer Saturdays because I'm north of the cities and Friday traffic is not fun from what I remember when going there a few years ago.

Motokazie is having a race school at Jordan this Friday, starting at 11am. 

If I take Friday off; I have a four-day weekend!   ...and it kicks off with a fun day of riding and tips/help from fast guys.

If you decide to take this school; let me know!  We can be students together.

This just sounds like a way better day (and the weather is predicted nice) than my usual day of work, that's for sure.

I had already signed up; now I just read Christian Craig and Blake Dungey are guest instructors!

this should be a fun day of moto

• Like 1

Tranqwhl, how did it turn out? I like the look of the track for sure. Looks a little different from last year. I'll have to take a gander at the schedule to see when they are open this year.

man... it was cool... but it almost made me hang it all up!

I kid, I kid.. but seriously, watching someone at Christian's level ride, and riding the track with him, was very disheartening.  Watching him throw just a huge whip over the triple that I don't even have the seeds to try... that was just amazing to see.

Also... we had three practices where the big bikes just got open practice.  The instructors would ride with us.  When he'd go by me, he'd be three sections ahead so quick it just made me want to give up.

I think people in California are probably more used to riding with people of national level caliber, but I'm not!   :)   It was humbling, for sure.  Yes, riding with other fast guys is too, but man, this dude could throw down and make it look like he was on a Sunday cruise.

Oh, but the school day itself?  It was great!  We worked on starts, then rhythm section, whoops and corners with Mr. Craig, and then corner and jumping with Blake Dungey.

Starts... I got some great tips, it's always great to practice them... but I feel so bad for my bike.  Thankfully we didn't punish them too badly.

Christian kept motioning for me to stand more.  The biggest deal was... stand up more.  More control, soak up more, etc.  Sit only at the point when turning... in the middle of the corner.  Yes I know that... but somewhere I seemed to have forgotten or just dropped doing that.  Practicing it over and over helped a lot; I actually did it pretty nicely once.  It felt good.

It was cool to have him watch us all go through a few different sections over and over, and then have him tell us how to go faster.

Then it was on to Blake Dungey.  I felt bad; I arrived late (hot and drinking water), and left early (tired and riding the next day).  It was not at all because of what he had to say.  I learned I was doing something wrong where I didn't think I could do much better.

There is a bigger tabletop towards at the end of a lap; where I would land and be on the brakes right away.  He said we should land on the gas, even when space is limited like that.  You land in more control, instead of "flopping" down, and having more of a bounce.  I loved his attitude towards trying it... it was something like "just try it... if you go over the berm trying, it's OK, there's nothing back there, I looked already.  At least you tried, and you know how far you can take it".  I liked his "it's OK to fail" spirit.  It made me think "sure, why not" and give it a try.

So did I learn stuff?  Yes, some stuff I probably already knew in there somewhere, but never practice; and some stuff where a fast guy honestly critiques your riding.  In one corner, Christian's advice was "You need to be going faster. 

You need to be jumping to at least there and carrying that speed".  Could I pull it off?  Maybe once out of a hundred tries, but it was cool to have someone tell you it's possible, and you should try to do it that way.

Most of all, it was VERY fun, I love the new layout, the instructors were great, it was low key great times.  To keep repeating sections was great; you really got a good feel for the track.