Sign in to follow this  

Switching from enduro to MX, need new bike?

Hi all,

Until last year I was still all about enduro and hard-enduro. Lately I've been racing enduro-cross and doing MX as training and start to like MX more and more.

Now it's been 3 months since last time I've been in the woods and really only think about MX. 

I have a 2013 KTM 300 xc-w and while it's doing okay on the track, I was wondering what I should do. Should I just get harder springs or sell it a buy a 250 japanese MX bike? I've read a lot about the new YZF and am very tempted, but I'm afraid of being disappointed. Where I live there is no where to try one. I'm thinking it will make much less power, weight more and doesn't have an electric start (in case I want to race more enduro cross I really want that electric start). What am I really gaining is better suspensions, is that not it?

Thanks for your input and advices.

Do you scream that 300, or ride in the low to mid RPM range and take advantage of the grunt?

If the later, get a 450.

After being on a 450 and riding in the lower RPM's I'm struggling a bit to get used to a 250F again.

I'll get there eventually, but I'm old and hate change :ride: , but I did not realize how much easier is was on a 450.

Do you scream that 300, or ride in the low to mid RPM range and take advantage of the grunt?

If the later, get a 450.

After being on a 450 and riding in the lower RPM's I'm struggling a bit to get used to a 250F again.

I'll get there eventually, but I'm old and hate change :ride: , but I did not realize how much easier is was on a 450.

Riding in the low-mid rpm so a 450 might be more suited for my style. Before the 300 I had a WRF with a 290 big bore and loved it in the woods.

Where I live there are only small tracks, that's why I was thinking about a 250. On the 300 I'm in 3rd gear all along.

Would the 300 not be a good MX bike with stiffer springs?

Ktm offers the 300sx kit i believe. You could basically have two bikes in one. Put the sx kit on when your into the motocross and switch back when your ready for some more enduro stuff. I know motocross action did a couple articles on this and i think either dirt bike or dirt rider did one as well. I think it costs around 800 bucks which is kinda steep but you will basically have two different set ups. I was thinking of doing something similar but was going to start with a 250xc and have the 300xcw kit for more enduro like power.

Suspension wise stiffer springs would help but actually you should have the right springs for your weight either way. What you would need is a good re-valve that can comprimise for mx and off road with maybe just some clicker adjustments either way. Anyway thats what i would do if i were you and can afford to do so. A lot cheaper than a new bike. Unless of course thats what you really want anyway.

• Like 1

Ktm offers the 300sx kit i believe. You could basically have two bikes in one. Put the sx kit on when your into the motocross and switch back when your ready for some more enduro stuff. I know motocross action did a couple articles on this and i think either dirt bike or dirt rider did one as well. I think it costs around 800 bucks which is kinda steep but you will basically have two different set ups. I was thinking of doing something similar but was going to start with a 250xc and have the 300xcw kit for more enduro like power.

Suspension wise stiffer springs would help but actually you should have the right springs for your weight either way. What you would need is a good re-valve that can comprimise for mx and off road with maybe just some clicker adjustments either way. Anyway thats what i would do if i were you and can afford to do so. A lot cheaper than a new bike. Unless of course thats what you really want anyway.

I think that kit is only engine mods. For my riding abilities the engine is more than enough, what it lacks is good SX suspensions. Being a xc-w with pds shock it doesn't have the linkage so I can't just switch for a SX one.

Riding in the low-mid rpm so a 450 might be more suited for my style. Before the 300 I had a WRF with a 290 big bore and loved it in the woods.

Where I live there are only small tracks, that's why I was thinking about a 250. On the 300 I'm in 3rd gear all along.

Would the 300 not be a good MX bike with stiffer springs?

If your spring rate has the correct static and race sag, then they are right for enduro or MX. It's the valving that will need work. In the past I've used the same bike for both (07 250sxf), I did get the bike re-valved to have enough range for my speed in both disciplines. I'm a faster off road rider than MX rider. If you're fast on the track, and slow in the trees, it is going to be tough. I suspect that the CC forks on my SXF were better suited for the task than your OC forks though. I will say that I've seen a lot of enduro bikes at the track, XCWs, KDXs, WRs and even some XRs. Just last week there was a guy on a WR450. Life is easier having two bikes, but you can make what you have work.